Community Forums

Anyone can relate?  

RSS

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 19, 2020 1:11 am  

Okay.  Last night I went to empty my pouch.  Opened the closure while standing in front of the commode, then let the end of the bag slip out of my hand.  I was far enough from the toilet that NONE of it made it into the bowl.  Can we say splash?  It was a fun cleanup job, to be sure.  Embarrassingly, this is the SECOND time this has happened to me.  First was in the hospital with a bag full of green bile and water.  This output tonight, was shall we say, a little more robust.  I like to empty while kneeling in front of the toilet.  I need to learn to wait until I'm down there before opening the lid.  Don't know why I'm sharing this other than I'm sure we all have "fun" experiences like this every once in a while.  You guys are probably saying, "speak for yourself." 😆  Sorry if this is too graphic...    

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 19, 2020 1:15 am  

To be clear, I know that sitting on the toilet would be a better option for emptying, but I still have that "let's close the back end" wound thing going on.  

Tony and LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
January 19, 2020 2:12 am  

@glenn-giroir

Hi Glenn,

I imagine most ostomates have a story like that.

When we were at my mom’s house for Thanksgiving, I took a shower and the water found a path into the bag while I was showering so I knew I was going to have to change it out, but since it was full to capacity with water, so I figured I would empty it first, dry off and change the bag. When I opened it to empty it, the pressure of the contents made me overshoot the toilet and get the floor and the wall behind the toilet. Of course, this wasn’t clean water, since my bag wasn’t empty when I got into the shower. 

It was quite a sight, I’m sure. Me standing dripping wet from the shower in the big mess. I cracked the bathroom door and called for my hubby, who was fortunately just down the hall in our room. He brought me what I needed from my suitcase and washed down the floor and wall while I was putting my new appliance on and then took the bathroom rug and towels down the the basement and started a load of laundry. He is such a trooper, that husband of mine!!

I hope to not have another experience like that again, but the odds aren’t in my favor. But hopefully next time it will at least be at my own house. 🤣

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

glenn.giroir, Tony and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 19, 2020 5:13 am  

Oh Yes, this I'm sure happens  at least once to all of us whether we admit it or not!!! lol!  No worries there Glen and Liza, we all make output so we all know how it can be when it lands all over the place! 

My first experience was after a lovely four  hour nap in the hospital a few days after my surgery.  I thought  I was helping the nurses but  instead with shakey hands, I made so much more  work for them,  as not only the bathroom required a thorugh washing down,  I  did too.

The last of a  line of  several of these stories  in ten years, was this  last  June I believe.             Dealing with severe anemia and spontaneous uncontrolled naps that I  now call *SNAPS*.  I had again woken up from yet another snap  and had a very full pouch! My faithful  buddy, my dog Romeo,  followed me into the bathroom, as usual, and settled close to the vent from  where  the A/C blows cool  air into the room.  As it had been  a while, I was trying  to figure out just how  to empty a pouch this full ... and safely! lol!  Holding the unrolled end tightly, I momentarily closed my eyes to say a quick prayer and discovered rather quickly and nastily  that I had taken yet another SNAP!!! My poor dog, who was almost  trapped in the room, said exactly what he thought of the  situation  with one look in my direction!  His, frowning disgusted look said none less  then,  " Lucy, you have  some splaining to do".  Tho he made his way safely  and amazingly unsoiled out of the room somehow, I knew I  had my  work cut out for me!!! lol!  Trust  me you two,   when  I say this is likely not your last time to deal with this kind of  a thing, but truly, I hope for you sake, it is. If not now, some where down the road , you will look back on  this/these experiences  and be able to at least shake  your head  wearing a grin on your face or be able to chuckle at it. Dig deep, find your funny bone and chalk it up to experience! You honesty will encourage someone else here some day experiencing the same or a similar  thing!!!  Smile...SAY  OUTPUT!!! lol!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
January 20, 2020 7:33 am  

Hi Glenn,

Plenty of people with ostomies do kneel to empty. What's better is a matter of preference and the dynamics of your situation, e.g., whether you wear your bag horizontally, height of toilet, size of body, etc. If you prefer to kneel rather than sit, than that's what's "better" for you.

When I was in the hospital, I didn't empty my own bag. It was pretty much impossible for me to get out of bed on my own, as my legs had taken a nice, long vacation from holding my weight. Plus, being unable to see what I was doing and having to worry about aim and not hitting the bedding, etc., it was daunting in the extreme just thinking about it. The nursing and aide staff were willing to empty for me. To be clear, for those of you who haven't read my intro, I do empty my own bag now.

Anyway, I was wearing a pouch that was a little smaller than the 750-mL system I use now, with a roll-up Velcro opening, which I don't like for reasons I outline in my intro (forgive the shameless plug), when it started to fill with gas and stool. I hit the call button and requested an emptying. They were pretty busy, and I understood that, so I actually made the request a bit on the early side knowing it would take them a while to get to me. I waited about half an hour and tried again. Then I waited some more and tried a third time. I was getting a little nervous now, but, as with so many newly minted ostomates who also have serious unforeseen complications and happen to be stewing in their own soup of drugs, I fell asleep. When I woke up maybe about half an hour later, my bag had ballooned to a size and tautness I hadn't thought possible for that appliance, so I called again and very emphatically communicated the importance of an immediate emptying.

An LNA came in and made a sound of surprised dismay at the state of my pouch and moved quickly to gather up the receptical to collect the stool, but it was too late. The wafer succumbed to the pressure and pealed right off, covering the bedding to my right, a nice big section of floor, and everything from my right abdomen to my right ankle in nice, warm, loose, and smelly stool, not to mention just about choking all the oxygen out of the room from the gas like the fabled cow farts environmentalists dread. As the old man in the classic film A Christmas Story said, "Dang gum it, a blow out!"

The LNA cursed out loud. I don't just mean saying a word instead of thinking it. I mean she shouted. I was so tired of body and mind that I couldn't react beyond a sigh, but I had tried to tell them, and I communicated that afterward. In my mind, however, I was laughing with amusement and embarrassment.

They ruined a perfectly good and rather large towel cleaning me up, and they had to change the bedding with me still on the bed. That's right; it took two people to do this job, and they had to get housekeeping to come and sanitize the floor and freshen the air.

Then it was time for my pain medicine, and I went back to sleep. The staff moved a lot faster when I asked for emptyings after that. Funny how good a teacher extreme inconvenience can be.

Yep, I can relate.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 20, 2020 10:56 am  
Posted by: @glenn-giroir

Opened the closure while standing in front of the commode, then let the end of the bag slip out of my hand.

I have had this happen, but was fortunate that the tail remained closed (even though it was no longer secured with velcro). Always make sure that your outlet is pointed at an open toilet before doing anything with it!  😂😂

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 20, 2020 12:30 pm  
Posted by: @veganostomy

Always make sure that your outlet is pointed at an open toilet before doing anything with it!  😂😂

Words to live by, Eric.  That's for sure.  😆

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 20, 2020 12:39 pm  
Posted by: @ileostony

Plenty of people with ostomies do kneel to empty. What's better is a matter of preference and the dynamics of your situation

Thanks Tony.  I do like kneeling on one knee while emptying.  At home, this puts me right on the level with the TP, so it is a pretty smooth operation.  I'm a bit more careful in our student bathrooms at school.  Believe it or not, some folks still have not gotten then aim thing down even at 17 or 18.  Going in there is always an adventure.  At this point, since sitting on a toilet is not very comfortable, I kind of do this half stand and half kneel thing in there.  Since the stalls are kind of high off of the ground, I ofter wonder what the students think I'm up to in there with my contorted stance coupled with the sounds of a full bag emptying into the water.    

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
January 21, 2020 10:41 am  

Hi glenn.giroir 

I don't put a knee on the floor but I do squat by bending at the knees . Like they say whatever works for you is the best way to do it . I have had my Norman a little over 3 years now and yes I guess we all have our moments . I had the same thing happen to me a couple times when undoing the Velcro it slipped out of my hand and yup big mess . Also not having the bag pointing up far enough when you open it can be a problem . Been there done that too . As John told me back when it happened to me . Gravity will take over . :-)  

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
January 21, 2020 3:08 pm  

@njewell1

Gravity wins!  😆

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register