Ileostomy trouble after reversal

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Hi Ostomates,

This is a question to those who had ileostomy, and got it reversed with creating a J-pouch.

No I do not have this, but my son does. During the day there is no problem, other then visiting the loo more often then regularly. However at night while fast a sleep, he had output escape, and at times quite a lot.

Going to see his surgeon he was told he is not listening to his body ( sure he doesn't - he is a sleep daaaa). Another one told him to take Imodium, that brought an abstraction, with a lot of pain (we all know that one).

My question is... did anyone else have this problem after reversal?

Thanks

Dan

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Nocturnal incontinence is a potential problem after j-pouch surgery, which hopefully reduces in frequency as time goes on. However, he should absolutely bring it up with his surgeon as there may be ways to reduce it (other than waiting or hoping for the best). 

There is a study that looked at a topical product to help (with success), but I don't know if this is something that's still suggested or perhaps a better product is available: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02236550

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Hi Eric,

After a few weeks of trial my son had a surgery, where a small unit was put in his lower back. This unit has a cable that sits next to the nerves that tells the brain if you need to go. It emits electrical pulses that wakes up these damaged nerves, and the problem was solved. He has a special phone which communicates with the unit inside his body via blue tooth, so he can change the strength of the pulses. It is made by Medronics,  and it really works. It is called "Inter stim".

If anyone wants any information about this, just ask.

Now he can go back to normal life, go and stay over night at friends house, without the worries of making a mess.

Dan

john68 and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote