4 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
11.1 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey gang, I just posted a new article about why some people may not get (or want) a J-Pouch.

I'm curious to know who's considered one and backed out, and who's had one but needed to get it reversed. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

uc2ostomy reacted
(@stomie2016)

Hi Eric,

I have a permanent ileostomy due to Crohn's Disease.  I had the surgery to remove my colon under emergency conditions about 8 months ago.  Even at that time I did not consider anything but a permanent ileostomy.  With my Crohn's disease, I had some rectal/anal involvement, and many years ago had an anal fistula which required surgery.  I had incontinence issues already due to that surgery.  So, my surgeon who did the ileostomy heartily agreed with me that I was not a candidate for a J-pouch or other.  She said she could not do that me!  I would much rather be mindlessly shitting in a bag than running for the bathroom or shitting in my pants every time I ate something or walked out of the house. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: stomie2016

So, my surgeon who did the ileostomy heartily agreed with me that I was not a candidate for a J-pouch or other.  

I would really hope that every surgeon would come to the same conclusion, but sometimes I hear of people with Crohn's who say they're a candidate for a j-pouch. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@betterbowels)

Hey Eric, 

I read the article and it's definitely aligned with research I've been finding. I found out at the beginning of the month that I'd be a candidate for reversal (J-pouch), however, I'm afraid of what might happen. I talked to my doctor about the reversal and he said there is generally a 10% failure rate. In other words, 10% of people who had the reversal, go back to an ileostomy.

He seemed pretty confident that mine would be successful, but I've also been diagnosed with perianal disease. I'm worried that a reversal will only exacerbate symptoms, not to mention another recovery from bowel surgery.... I'm not sure what to do yet, however,  I have a some time to decide.

Thanks for the info,

Darla

ReplyQuote