Peeling Flange - Body Adhesive  

RSS

Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 15, 2020 12:51 pm  

Hello fellow ostomates

On a couple of occasions I have not been quite as diligent or patient as I ought to have been when making sure that the flange is properly adhered all the way around. I have not had any leaks (fortunately), and also because I have been around home I haven't really bothered about it.

I am trying out another style of flat pouch, and I noticed that a part of the flange had come unstuck, or was not stuck properly in the first place. As I was going out I wanted to make sure it was secure, so I tried some Staysput (which I use to keep my hold-ups up) . . . and it has worked really well. It's easy to roll on, it is water soluble and washes off easily. I am sure that there will be versions of this available in different places, but this is the one I use.

https://www.staysput.com/product/roll-on-body-adhesive/

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 15, 2020 1:37 pm  

Hi Mimi, Part of me wants to scold you for using that around the stoma. (Don’t worry I don’t stay cross for long)😂 it’s just in case of skin damage or a reaction too. Never ever rush a change! Always take time and your skin will thank you for it. Warming the wafer and dry skin always. For the part next to the stoma if you use a 2 piece I use a cotton bud or a Q tip for our Cousins across the pond. Just gets into the awkward points. If you’re new idea works well which I hope so Happy Days 😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
July 15, 2020 2:15 pm  

Hi Mimi, I make sure that everything is quite dry before applying the flange - I usually use a very small amount of stoma powder and dust lightly over it with a tissue, and the flange sticks. However, after a day or so the adhesive on the flange does weaken somewhat (showering does this to it, I think). I also use a seal/ring, which stays on just fine.

ps - John, a cotton bud! That is a pretty name, sounds like something that could be in a bridal bouquet!

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 15, 2020 3:01 pm  

Glue your clothes on !     interesting.   your application seems safe, being water soluble,  sounds like it then has limited uses.    I wear a very tight wrap for about 10-15minutes to help secure the flange to the skin on changes.   in a hurry, I've had the same thing happen.

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 15, 2020 3:27 pm  

@john68  @llholiday   @dogtalkerer

Oh dear, Newbie Numpty alert. I think I have completely misunderstood what a flange is. What I meant by flange was the outer bit of the bit of the bag which sticks to the body close to the stoma . . . and I thought the inner bit was the 'wafer' and the outer bit was the 'flange'.

So what I am talking about is the outer sticky part, which is furthest from the stoma, and sometimes peels a little if it rubs against clothes. So I am using the body adhesive as a quick repair to that, rather than a complete change (if the bag doesn't need changing).

Is there a diagram somewhere of an ostomy bag and its component parts? Or would 'outer edges of the flange' describe what I am referring to?

Thanks everybody . . . I love this forum I learn something every day, sometimes multiple times a day!

Best wishes & thanks.

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 15, 2020 3:32 pm  

Hi Mimi, it’s very easily done, I always called the wafer a flange as most do in UK until I joined the forum. Eric has a glossary of terms, take a look and I will test you on it later.😂

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 15, 2020 4:15 pm  
Posted by: @mimi

So what I am talking about is the outer sticky part, which is furthest from the stoma, and sometimes peels a little if it rubs against clothes.

That's the outer edge of the wafer, and don't feel discouraged - I'm having more peeling problems myself around the wafer this summer. 

If I don't want to change my appliance early, I'll usually put some medical tape (silicone tape has been one that's been using these days) or an actual wafer extender ( https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-wafer-extenders/ ) which are designed to protect the wafer's edges. 

Posted by: @mimi

Is there a diagram somewhere of an ostomy bag and its component parts? Or would 'outer edges of the flange' describe what I am referring to?

I should do a diagram! In the meantime, this might help to explain more. 

https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-wafers/

While "flange" can sometimes refer to the entire wafer, it's more commonly used to describe the part that connects to the bag (in a 2pc system).

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 15, 2020 5:19 pm  

I've always considered the flange, the part of the 1 piece that sticks to your stomach.

a wafer,  being something rigid and has thickness.

and wafer/flange, an interchangeable term 2 piece wearers refer to as the part that sticks to the stomach.  but that's the opinion from a 1 piece wearer.

you probably could argue that the  2 piece flange/wafer has 2 flanges.

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 16, 2020 3:25 am  

Thanks everyone so much, that's brilliant, I will have a look a the mini-guide . . . and the glossary!

Best wishes

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 16, 2020 5:36 am  

Mimi

I have had problems with the outer edges of the wafer lifting the causes might be Temperature, perspiration, body shape, body movements and I think the wafer material changing. I notice after a 1 day or even a few hours the edge can lift the wafer also tends to crinkle up in places this causes lifting of the edge and where lint of your clothes get on then the edges don't stick back down. I have resorted to cut bits off it doesn't seem to worse the holding of the bag. It you see my post

https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/general-ostomy/coloplast-sensura-hack-mod-part-2/#post-16471

This is a modification I've done to my wafers to make them stick better and stay on longer, once the edges lift and the wafer crinkle both accelerate the process of  the risk of a leak. since doing the mod I've had none. certainly in my experience in the hot weather the glue seems to un-stick an re-stick in a slightly different position sometime cause pain because of skin stretch

the reason I did the mod some manufacture do this kind of thing with there wafers unfortunately I didn't get on with the glue thought.

Eric idea of attaching medical tape is a good emergency fix until you can apply a bag careful with the allotted time and care

Colostomy Jan 2020

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 16, 2020 10:18 am  

@dogtalkerer There's definitely a lot of confusion over these terms, partly because of how the terms have been mixed and matched over the years.

Hollister specifically markets a "floating flange" where the plastic connector ring between the bag and wafer is raised so that you can get your fingers under it. CovaTec offers a similar "accordion flange" design. 

Obviously, in this case, it would cause confusion to say that a 1pc has a flange. 

Hollister also specifically notes that "The plastic ring, or flange, in a two-piece system connects the two parts together, making it easy to unsnap and discard the pouch." SOURCE so it clarifies the term even further.

But yeah, I've seen the terms interchanged often.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 16, 2020 12:22 pm  

well guys, when the edge is peeling up,  generally means your body is bending more than  the wafer wants to. . you should be able to feel the wafer's resistance to bending. 

a reason I do not like 2 piece bags, loss of body flex.   this sort of thing rarely happens on a 1 piece.  it will happen with a lot of constant continuous bending on a bag that's a couple days old.  this will happen when I am biking a lot.  

dieffenk and Mimi liked
ReplyQuote