Community Forums

How Often Does an O...

Notifications
Clear all

How Often Does an Ostomy Bag Need to Be Emptied? (w/ video)

88 Posts
21 Users
86 Likes
17.1 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Zvitusk, you bring up a good point that I hadn't even considered. The request may raise red flags.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Never thought of the Child protective service..  !!!!!!!! Your right Z..  One eye or slipped word can get you in lots of trouble.. OR reported by family member, so called friend.. A friend of mine had this done for her husband tho, Wanted to keep him home and NOT in a nursing home.. If this teenage is having multiple  changes, he may have colon issues--so maybe start there.. but don't say YOU want this -- it  may be down the road for him any ways.. ???  Talk with a few upper and lower GI Doctors.. Go slow!!  Eric, has a blog for the proper words on this subject to learn so, you can have some smarts and proper questions on the subject..  As you may have already read, they may put him on medications which can make this child sicker and produce more diaper changes.......... Learn the medications affects..  From what I have read, they are not nice !!  This GIFTED CHILD has issues in the first place, Meds can turn your and his world upside down and around..... His temperament for one.. Best. M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@Gary Archie)

should i clean/rinse the bag after i empty it?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Gary Archie

should i clean/rinse the bag after i empty it?

Hi Gary,

That's totally optional. Some people do, and some don't. I often do because my thicker output tends to leave more residue in the bag and having it totally "cleaned out" is my preference. 

ReplyQuote
(@TK Koh)

Is it harmful to clean with water after draining your bag

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hello TK Koh,

I often rinse my bag clean with water and haven't noticed any ill effects. I will caution you on two things: If your appliance already has a small leak forming, the water will make it worse. And if you have a filter on your bag, it may become clogged if the water reaches it.

I would suggest using a small amount of water and try not to have it reach the stoma. As a general rule, if I notice that the water is cold around my skin, it's probably breached the barrier and I don't rinse anymore with that appliance.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

TK Koh and Gary Archie...welcome to this very  helpful sight. You will find Eric to be very helpful and teach things that I know I had no clue about, even after my 10 years or so with my ostomy. Such as being able to get samples from other companies, (they will want your business), so you may find them helpful also. Ask questions and more questions. One thing we have found and it was something I did right way was to name my stoma. I call her Rose because she really is a beautiful thing. Giving it a name does help to identify with our new little friend a lot easier. There was actually a chat about this a while ago. Check our recent posts and forums in the headline. The names are creative, so have some fun. Most stomas have their own personality. I changed Roses name 3 times before I settled on Rose. Your questions are some of what I had actually thought to ask my surgeon and my nurse after surgery.  Yes, it is safe to rinse out your  pouch that you have on. I prefer to do this as when you just empty it, you still have to close it and then cleaning the mouth of the pouch can be a fussy time consuming job.  I use a flat one piece pouch and also secure it with the elastic barrier tapes,  (there are now 2 sizes...get samples)  because I do a lot of bending. I also keep two plastic cups by the throne and rinse once or twice as needed. I can give it a good bit of a wiggle to rinse, but if you have a 2 piece, you will have to be more careful. When I am away from home I carry a bottle of water with me labeled Bag H2O to rinse it when I am out, refillable and washable, recyclable. I use a deodorant called M9 in the bag, 18-20 drops and this does help immensely with odor. Eric has a video on this I am sure.  Hollister makes it. One thing I also asked, being concerned about parasites and what have you in water, I asked if anything can get into my stoma. I was told a definite- NO, nothing in, only out. I had previously battled a year and half fight with Cryptosporidium...that was just nasty! So you can see my concern with rinsing. No question is a  bad question here.  It may take a few days, but you will get replies if someone can help or just welcome you. Let us know what you name your stomas. Stay well and hydrated. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@Miriam channkowsky)

I wanted to know if it is normal not to have any out put in two days. The first day I ate very little because I was going to an event and didn't want to have to empty my bag there which I didn't and then the next day I didn't have to empty anything again. Could this happen and is it ok not to go in 2 days though I may go tonight which is the 2nd day.

Thank you

Miriam

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Miriam,

What's your "normal" when it comes to bowel movements? Some people don't go for a week(!) and that's normal for them - other people go multiple times a day. 

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Miriam...I do the same thing when I have to leave the house. I eat smaller, more nutritious,  meals the day before and hydrate well, and then  the morning of going out,  I may have a glass of milk with my pills, and then I only eat on the way home or once home. I also always carry water with me and drink water when out. Going out two days in a row, I try to avoid, just due to eating less, as it does mean very little output. Rose (my stoma) is very active all the time and I can be in the can every forty minuets. So going out and being in the bathroom often does not mix well.  Your stoma is likely to produce what you put in. Mine will normally be busy as soon as one to three hours after eating. Eating less produces less and so forth.  That is normal for me. Sometimes after not eating much if any for two days, she slows right down and produces only small fluid.  If I have a fever she produces less all around so I watch for constipation or blockages then. V8 juice is great to drink when out and about. Does this help you any? 

Linda

Linda

Marcie reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Miriam, I just re-read you question.  I want to add, that on occasion when Rose has a day or two off,  this does happen. But, be aware of what you eat and when, and then also if what you passed before yours became quiet, has it been in the bag or not. Write it down if need be to keep track. I can tell this by colour usually. Milk will be creamy when had with a meal...V8 juice will be dark orange  Beets will be pink or purple. Not to be mistaken for blood even in urine. If your bowel is on the empty side, it can take time to fill again and then work. But, also always be aware of a possible blockage. Eric has a video on blockages I believe.  I get blockages a lot, and they are not fun. Painful, so it is good you are aware of what is going on. As soon as I notice a change I did not cause I try and keep track of my input, and output and also when she rolls again after a stop I caused. For me the first sign of a blockage is a quiet stoma, unless I have been out and caused it for more then one day especially if I have eaten less, or little to none.  We flew to Hawaii five months after my stoma and I was terrified of the flight time. I did not want to wait in the washroom lineup at all. So I only ate once there, and very little the day ahead, but always drinking water or juice. It worked just great, but I really got things going again when on land. I am  60.  Had Rose since 2008. Is this more what you need to know?

Linda

Linda

Marcie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Laurel)

Hello All, I am a certified ostomy nurse and think this site is WONDERFUL!!! I am wondering if I could have permission to reproduce your picture of when to empty the pouch. I love the color and think it would be great to use it with ostomates.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Laurel,

Thanks for finding me!

Can you please email me about this request? My email address is info@veganostomy.ca

Regards,

Eric

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Laurel,

As far fetched as it might seem, I was just thinking this morning that I wish an ostomy nurse or even a doctor would get on this site and share their expertise with the community. Please, please consider registering an account and blessing us with your knowledge from a nursing standpoint.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Gi Gi)

Hi I'm Gi Gi. I have a colostomy and I am very concerned about my weight. I'm petite in size and since my surgery July 2,2019 my weight is between 80 to 85 lbs. And I simply hate it!!!! My normal weight is 110/ 112lbs but I haven't seen that in yrs. Now that I have a permanent colostomy I have been trying to find ways to gain my weight back but I empty so much. if there is someone out there that can help me please feel free to email me at godfavor777@aol.com I look fwd to it. What I'm taking now is lomotil and Imodium to slow things down but it's not working. I also have purchased guar gum and tried it twice but havent figured out the right mixture or way to take it, need help with that. I'm just ready for a different plan, different solution. I also wanna know when will this thing slow down cause i m not getting any nutrients. It's frustrating!!! And I hate looking like I'm some kinda drug head being skinny and all...... Thanks!
Just wanna get back to my life and living again. I workout but I think I'm hurting myself instead of helping due to lack of nutrient so I don't do it as much. Thinking of trying casein protein. That's something I stumbled on while searching the internet. Please help me someone!!!??

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@Gi Gi

Hi Gi Gi,

That sounds frustrating, but there's always a solution. 

Your history is unknown, so the slow weight gain could be a matter of not getting enough calories, or it could be health-related. You and your doctor should discuss this. 

But in the meantime, consider a food diary so you can at least track your calories and nutrient intake. You'd be surprised by what you see, but it will at least point you in a direction where you may need to simply increase your caloric intake. I have an article about how I do it here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/track-nutrient-intake/

I don't advocate for the use of products that slow down the bowel unless your doctor tells you to take it. I much prefer increasing my starch intake if I need to slow things down: potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. 

Your bowels tend to adjust and slow down on their own with time, unless you have a short bowel (did you have more than your colon removed?). You are still pretty "fresh" out of surgery, so there's still more that your body needs to adjust to. 

I also suggest speaking with a registered dietitian, who can help you come up with a meal plan that satisfies your nutritional needs and also works for your stoma. This article may be helpful in finding one: https://www.veganostomy.ca/finding-registered-dietitian-ibdostomy-tips/

Best of luck!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hello GiGi and welcome.

All the thing Eric has suggested are  ( of course) great ideas.  This must be so frustrating. You need more help.

I might suggest you also ask about nutritional support ... I think its intravenous ?? Apparently more IBD patients are getting this prior to surgery now to maintain health and weight. Might not be long term solution, but worth asking about. My Primary Care doctor was surprised that I had not had this option when I was first diagnosed and lost 85 pounds in about four months. YIKES!

Also, never underestimate the power of a spoonful ( or several) of peanut butter. Loaded with protein and goes down easy.

All the best to you. Keep posting!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Gi Gi,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I also agree with Dona and Eric. If you haven't gained after a few months out of surgery, as you are, it may be a good idea to get in touch with your doctor to set up a diet plan. As Eric said, starches are a good way to help slow things down. I like to remember the acronym BRAT - bananas, rice, applesauce, and tea. When my children had the runs, I would give them these foods to help them get back to normal. A pediatric nurse recommended them to me, as well as making sure that they got plenty of fluids. Hope this helps some.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@Gi Gi

Hello Gigi and welcome. You are in a tough place right now, and weight loss to that extent makes you aware of just how hard furniture and the bed can really be not to mention the white circle. Please make a point of going back to your gastroenterologist and telling him also, what is going on with your bowel. GPS are good and they run interference for us sometimes but on occasion we need to go back to the GI doctor. If you have not done this already you need to go back and let him know that you are having these serious issues and how concerned you are. You are tiny to begin with so you will notice this weight loss all the more. About 12 years ago I went through my first bout of malnutrition from malabsorption and fortunately after some time, things began to improve. There are a few ways to get extra nutrition. If you can drink the nutritional drinks that you can purchase in the drugstore a good one and I'm not sure if it's available where you live but the brand name boost is a good drink vanilla and chocolate flavour are nice try to drink them cold. Nutritional support through the doctor can come through TPN, the other is through a tube through your nose and into your stomach. Both ways have to be ordered through your doctor. Make a point of stressing to them how thin you are and how uncomfortable you are with what is happening to you. You have good reason to be concerned. Please keep us in the loop and let us know how you manage through this time. All the best Gigi try and keep your chin up. 

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @dlkfiretruck
If you can drink the nutritional drinks that you can purchase in the drugstore a good one and I'm not sure if it's available where you live but the brand name boost is a good drink vanilla and chocolate flavour are nice try to drink them cold. 

Linda—I have been drinking Boost drinks since leaving the hospital over a year ago. I was so incredibly malnourished and had a number of albumin iv’s before they would let me go and I needed to keep getting as much protein as possible and those drinks have 20g each. Plus they do taste good too. I alternate between the chocolate and the strawberry, though the strawberry is my favorite. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5