Community Forums

Hot showers for better ostomy appliance adhesion  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 10:51 am  

One trick I find myself doing is having a hot shower after putting my appliance on. 

The heat causes the wafer to stick to my skin way better than just holding it firmly with my hand.

Usually, I put my appliance on after having a shower, but doing it this way gives me longer wear time (my last appliance was on 6.5 days). 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 2, 2017 11:49 am  

Now that's an interesting one, I always jump in the show when doing my change so may give it ago. do ye go in with just the wafer.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 12:13 pm  
Posted by: john68

do ye go in with just the wafer.

Everything. I'm not sure if water exposure on the wafer part around the stoma is a good idea right after putting it on. I know some will shower without the bag on, but that's usually after the wafer has been on for a while. 

ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
November 2, 2017 3:30 pm  

I love to shower with everything off me so I get the area really clean.  My ostomy nurse gave me a tip that I use each time.  After I change the set, I lay down in bed with a heating pad on the area for about 5-10 minutes.  I do believe the heat, no matter how you get it, helps adhesion.  So far so good.  I assume a hair dryer would also work.

VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 2, 2017 3:45 pm  

Some bodys stolen my idea AGAIN lol. I hate to see things going to waste and seeing I am bald I had to find some use for the hair dryer

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

mykirbyroo liked
ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
November 2, 2017 3:49 pm  

If your hair dryer gets hot enough you can also melt marshmallows with it :-)

mykirbyroo and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 4:20 pm  
Posted by: Illona

After I change the set, I lay down in bed with a heating pad on the area for about 5-10 minutes.  I do believe the heat, no matter how you get it, helps adhesion.  So far so good.  I assume a hair dryer would also work.

Yes, any heat should work, but I find a hot shower to be the most convenient (since I'd be having a shower anyway 😁). 

No matter what method you choose, just make sure you don't burn or scold your skin. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 5:22 pm  

And NO soap/oli base hair creams on the  tummy area... I always take a nice hot bath before I am due to give "Nellie" a new dress. Have thing all ready and a chair.. Relaz and try to enjoy this messy time of ours...... :=) 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 10:53 pm  

John, how about a great picture to go with a great guy? I am sure that your personality is all over yourself.. It will be a GEAT picture.. Indeed yes? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 10:56 pm  

Eric, I still shy away from a shower with a pouch on-afraid that it will fall off, or get water into the barrier/wafer.. and during the day have problems..  Still going at this slowly.. Guess I have to take a step further huh?  talk about Baby Steps.. :-(

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 11:06 pm  
Posted by: Marcie

Eric, I still shy away from a shower with a pouch on-afraid that it will fall off, or get water into the barrier/wafer..

I have no problems with tape border wafers, but the thicker hydrocolloid ones always peel a little bit, which makes me nervous 😂

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 2, 2017 11:17 pm  

You use tape boarders.. those r extended off the barrier right? What kind? I tried sure seal, but I made a mess out of them before I could get them on.. So I am just going it with just the basic old fashion me-  - nothing else but the wafer/barrier. See? I had a correct fear.. no extenders. Skin irrations r favorable to me.. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 2, 2017 11:40 pm  

By tape border, I mean the actual wafer uses a tape border - Hollister New Image. A few brands gave tape borders, but many will use hydrocolloid. 

I very rarely use wafer extenders. 

ReplyQuote
mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
November 5, 2017 5:59 pm  

Hi, Eric!  I'm with you on this.  I almost always shower WITH my wafer and pouch on.  Just pat them dry with my towel when I get out and the wafer hasn't fallen off yet.  Don't expect it to, either!  I am kind of careful with my washcloth around the wafer and don't rub real hard, but it works very well for me.

Rosebud hasn't had a real "wash" with soap and water in a long time -- and she's in perfect condition.  I do use flushable butt wipes to clean her off when I change my wafer, but that's the closest to soap and water that she usually gets.  I use the flushable wipes from Wal-Mart and my wafer sticks really well.  I don't use Cavillon or other things.  Just the butt wipes.

Thanks for re-affirming what I've discovered.  Hot showers and wafers DO mix!!!!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 5, 2017 6:11 pm  

I have gotten to that point of showering and then go off fir my day yet.. BUt I guess it is time huh?

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
November 7, 2017 7:15 pm  

I hate to admit it, but I was limiting bathing to prevent the wafer from falling off.
last night, I read your posts and decided that I have been an idiot. I allowed my fears to control me.
I woke up at3 AM and grabbed my bag and ran to the bath.
It was wonderful. I am free!.
All day ,I was thinking about my wafer. It ignored my attention.
HURRAY, I AM CLEAN!
Monday, is my new " changes the bag "day. (If it lasts).

Hey, I'm not so exuberant every day, I am up since 3 AM.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
November 7, 2017 9:10 pm  

3: a.m? I m only up at around those hours for a leak-- shower, dress Nellie, change the sheets and back to sleep!! but that doesn't happen much anymore..   3:00???? where do u go at that time?????? 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register