Clear all

Healing a rash

16 Posts
8 Users
1 Likes
Raine
(@raine)
Topic starter  

Help! I have a nasty rash that won't heal.  I've tried using just powder, aloe, skin prep wipes but nothing helps. I see the ostomy nurse Wednesday so hopefully she can help.  But what do you do when this happens?

Raine

(@bubbles)

Does it itch really bad ? If so might be fungal. You will need prescription Nystatin powder. I use it at every change to avoid getting this . It has worked . I live in  tropical climate where we sweat a lot . Also allow your skin to breath and dry for at least 5-10 min if not more when you do your wafer change . I wrap my stoma with a square of gauze and fan it . Feels so good allowing skin to dry out .

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Raine, Is this rash all round the wafer or at one specific point, Take note on what Bubbles says about wrapping the stoma, Its a good tip as is catches that bit of output that may surprise and keeps the liquid from the stoma of yer newly cleaned skin. Its good that you are seeing the nurse so soon.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hi Raine . I had a bad problem first few months with bad rash and irritation . Try Marathon my Doc told me to use it and it worked great to get rid of it . Its pricey but worked . I now use a prescription he gave me called Nystop every time I change and haven't had a problem since .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)
Topic starter  

Yes it itches horribly.  I'll ask for a script on Wednesday. 

Raine

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Raine,

Its good that you are going to see the stoma nurse. The skin around your stoma is crucial for the use of your appliance and its ability to adhere well to your skin. Be proactive.

It could be that you are having some kind of reaction to the things you are using  and/or some contact in that area with the output from the stoma. The contact could be from leakage after you have changed wafers or some that made an escape while you were changing and wasn't wiped clean enough, as others have mentioned. Could be a fungus or some other skin problem ( your next step would be a dermatologist if this isn't resolved).

Could be a collusion between these  all these things even.

When you go to the stoma nurse, be sure to take one of everything you use when you change. She/he may want to remove it all and then you will need this stuff, or they may just want to have a look at it what you are putting on your skin. .

For me that itchy crawly feeling ( really unpleasant) is the first indication that my wafer is beginning to leak onto my skin and its time to change.

Good luck!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Raine , it could also be an allergy to adhesive of the wafer . Hope your stoma nurse helps you today . 

Be well , Bubbles

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

I'd look at the Nystatin powder, it usually helps me if my skin gets itchy and weepy.  Last time I had it happen, I believe it was caused by the tape borders on my wafers.  I got it healed up and switched to a wafer without a tape border and have had far less trouble.  Your stoma nurse should have some suggestions as far as how to get it to heal.

As Bubbles stated, letting your skin breath for a few minutes during your bag changes can help a lot as well.

Hope you get it under control soon, it can drive you crazy.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Yes, always good to see the stoma nurse!!  And don't forget to wash around that area real well.  

Let us know how it is going...……….. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I don't have a rash (anymore)  I feel for you Raine-- how's it going?

But: I  do have--------- the skin around my stoma is numb..  Nice smooth skin, no rash etc.  I have some feeling- but mostly numb.  Anyone have this feeling?  

Don't tell me to go to the stoma nurse.  I called there-wanted to make an apt. with her.  Declined.  What r they going to do?  stick pins in me?? Got a call back and the nurse said nothing of value to/for me.  As long as I don't have a rash--  Rash's I can take prevention of (mostly if it is not fungial)  I have read this blog well and of common  mind ALWAYS clean the stoma area WELL!  and dry that area as long as u can.   So, ANYNE NUMB OUT THERE??   Thanks in advance………… M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

P.S. this has been going on for a few months.  = numbness all around stoma area.  5 inches around..  

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Marcie, Any numb feeling around the stoma can be from the incision and due to nerves being cut but this is post surgery and should only last a few months, if this is some thing that has just developed I am going to say see the stoma nurse/doctor. they are their to help and especially the stoma nurse. Be interesting to see if any other member has had this.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Ya, kinda weird.  Stoma nurse didn't claim this to be in her field..  But as I said--it has been going on for a few months.. Maybe it is the Gattex-as that produce's  the small bowel to thicken/widen up-- maybe I should check at my gattex support group--let u know. 

Yes- it would be interesting if anyone after a  few years after operation..  Odd, I have no problems with my incisions.  I am a good healer.  I am voteing on nerve's.   Thanks John. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I hope your appointment went well, Raine. 

Without knowing the cause of the rash, it's difficult to offer suggestions. It could be an allergy, it could be bacterial or fungal, it could be mechanical irritation, it could be something other than your appliance causing irritation, etc. 

Hopefully, your nurse will be able to determine the cause and move forward with a treatment plan. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)
Topic starter  

Since the rash was only under the tape edge, she said it's an allergy.   I had to change brands and will try sensura mio next, hollister is out now.  It already feels so much better! I actually had both stoma nurses looking at it and the PA.  Good news is I don't have to go back for the ulcers as they are healing too.  

Raine

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Wonderful news!!  Just a matter of days and hopefully your in the win zone!! Hollister always gave me rash's.  Your gonna like the mio….  It bothered me a bit in the first weeks,, but my skin got used to it.  Like anything else.  As long it does not rash up and itch right away--  I used different pouches every other changes.  TRY NOT TO RIP THE WAFFER off right away!1  Change it before bed.. let your skin get used to it and or mind is asleep = not in charge.  If u can take an advil or 2 might help.. sweet dreams...………..  praying for success with a new dress/tux.. :-) 

ReplyQuote