Community Forums

Samples  

RSS

Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
December 16, 2017 10:52 am  

Hi All!

Rather than ordering products to try and then having tons of unused supplies - I like to request samples when possible.  My problem is when I request samples, especially from Convetec and Coloplast, they required that I speak with a representative.  After receiving the samples I get numerous annoying calls and emails from their sales team.  Does anyone else experience this and is there a way to avoid all of the annoying calls?  I have asked to not be called but they still continue.  This really disappoints me because without samples it is so hard to narrow down what works for me especially because I have adhesive sensitivity and allergy problems.

Thank you!

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015. Joanne

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:13 am  

Hi Jattzi,

Exactly the same thing happens to me whenever I get samples. Lots of phone calls and almost a hard sell on types of things to try. While I appreciate being able to try new things, I do not like being encouraged to buy or try a type of appliance I do not want ( like one piece, or transparent bag...just my preference). One person ( when pushing the one piece said  ' I don't know why you would want to use the two piece, when this is so much easier to use.'  Sounds like they were NOT an actual ( in the flesh, so to speak) Otomate.

It has been Convatec and Coloplast.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:20 am  

Exactly!  It's good to know it's not just me!  Finding the right system is very difficult and is a lot of trial and error. There is no other way to know what products I am sensitive to.  My ostomy nurses will give me samples of what they have on hand but it is expensive to go to them repeatedly.  The last thing we need is to have added stress from companies that are claiming to help us.

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015. Joanne

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:35 am  

Just a couple of days ago I received a small padded envelope from Convatec .. no, not more samples! It was a message saying that they had received my 'complaint' ( I had made none).

At the bottom of the letter was an asterisk which said " based on the nature of your complaint you may be contacted for further follow up."......... PLEASE NO!

What I had asked them was simply where to buy the Convatec Eakins rings I use. I was purchasing them through Amazon and often getting expired stock ( another discussion, Eric?) that did not stick well at all. All I wanted was info on a good supplier with FRESH supplies .  ( I am on Medicare, and my Hollister supplier ( Shield) is now supplying me with these Eakins rings... a new and welcome development). These rings cost around 4.50 each. But Amazon does have some for about 20.00 EACH!! Tried to write a warning review,about the cost but it was deemed 'not publishable' by Amazon standards.  And,  supplies on EBay are  REALLY scary.

So it goes.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Zvitusk and Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:39 am  

It just shouldn't be this hard!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:49 am  

Hi Folks, My experience has been totally different, I ordered samples from Convatec and Coloplast. I had one follow up call from each just to check my order. Received the samples and then a call again from each one week later. I liked the product from Convatec and added it to my supplies. over here that means I call my Health Centre who clear it with my Doc who informs my pharmacy. Now that takes about 10 days for the new items to be added. I asked the girl from Convatec could she send me a few more samples to tide me over and she said she would have to check, an hour later I received an email to say they had been dispatched and I got them in the post the next evening. I would say a lot is to do with the sales rep

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 16, 2017 11:58 am  

Geee-Dona, First off, thanks for the cost notice of difference's of these!!   Never mind the expired products!!  Sad,  when we or others in need of medial products--they get us in the pocket.. Personally, I have had great talks with the Convatec people personally -- these people that I have talked with (many times) said to me that they have to wear their products - yes with pouch with water in them-so they will know what were going through (a bit anyways)--One guy said that he had to shave and how when the hair grows back (within a 2 day period) -- the hairs just push the wafer off..(so I feel for the men here) somehow you got into the upper managers area which I find you were dealt with rather serverly.. Sorry you are going through this with them.. Let it pass, as I am sure that they will also.. 

Well, thanks for getting your point/complaint of pricing out through us.. We are the ones that count.. Eric will take care of them in a soft about way.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
December 16, 2017 12:14 pm  

Agreed Jattzl, Took me 2 years to go through all the products in the usa to knowledge me what I can get.. Then had to narrow it down.. Everything is so important.. I love the Eakin seals, and the pouches ?, I go between the one piece mio, and the 2 piece double lock coloplast.  I do find myself luckier than some here as of the skin problems, but I do get irrtations. 

I see that the people in the UK seem to like the saltz -is that it?- Cant get that here..  There is a new system from Europe-that Eric mentioned he will try it is Braun flexima 3S. Had a Rep. come to our support group and gave out samples.  They are based in Florida and can only order through them-not my suppler. Being on Medicare, to much of mix up with their payments-so I will wait to order them -- But they are a rather nice  product. Made for very senstive skin.  Nice covers both front and back for the hotter days-no plastic near skin. Can be bulky if your wearing a dress, skirt..   But has a narrow opening. I like the wide.. They do call me much and received more samples of my input.. which is nice. :-) Good luck..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
December 16, 2017 12:14 pm  

john68 that was my experience in the past.  It went very smoothly and they were helpful.  This has just happened recently.  Like in the last 6 months.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 16, 2017 6:13 pm  

Unfortunately, nothing is ever "free" when it comes to samples. 

For the emails, you should be able to opt out after you get the first one (unsubscribe is usually at the bottom of the email), but the calls are something you may need to ask them to stop when they call for the first time.

While it's common for companies to follow up with samples, I've experienced some companies that seem to couldn't care less and don't reply to my email or requests... can't we find some middle ground when it comes to customer service? LOL

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Jattzl liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
December 16, 2017 7:26 pm  

Please forgive the sales reps. . They have to feed their families,  too.

If they do go through the training,  then they should appreciate what we go through. 

But,  they are in business to make money. 

Amazon and others of the resale ilk should be avoided as much as possible. Let the buyer beware. 

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
December 17, 2017 6:56 am  

okay.  you got me.  I'll unblock their numbers and be grateful for the samples.  Maybe if I ask they won't call so many times a day.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register