Community Forums

Ostomy products for retracted stoma  

RSS

Ann C
(@ann-c)
Registered
January 11, 2018 11:39 am  

Hi! So I recently had to deal with my first partial bowel obstruction. NOT FUN! I feel physically fine now and things are moving through normally, however my stoma has still shrunk down quite a bit. I had a new stoma created in November, and I was told that it's normal for it to shrink in size. But this is quite a change! Lots of leakage and skin irritation now. I had been using the eakin barrier rings and the hollister 2 piece moldables but I think I need to switch products. Unfortunately my stoma nurse is difficult to get a hold of. Does anyone have any suggestions! I heard something once about a concave one piece system for retracted aromas or something but I didn't really pay attention since it didn't apply to me. Also, do you think the stoma may pop back out after a few days? I know I put it through a lot recently. Poor Bertha.  :-( 

ReplyQuote
Ann C
(@ann-c)
Registered
January 11, 2018 11:40 am  

*stomas...not aromas hahahaha 

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
January 11, 2018 11:57 am  

Please try the BRAVA  Protective seals . These are way better than Ekin rings . Make sure they are NOT Brava  " Moldable "  these  are bad .  Then try Hollister two piece CONVEX wafer . Also  order the THIN 2.5  Brava ring . The 4.5 will be too thick with a convex wafer . Order as close to your stoma size as possible but under size it . You will be able to stretch a little to your size . Example if you are a 22 mm stoma then order the 18 mm ring . Also if you can get the Brava spary adhesive remover . That stuff is magic . Wafer peels right off with now skin damage .

Be well, Bubble 

Zvitusk and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Ann C
(@ann-c)
Registered
January 11, 2018 12:00 pm  

That is great is great info! Thank you so much!!

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
January 11, 2018 12:19 pm  

Hi Ann . If its any help to you at all . I had leak problems n skin irritation at first too . I was using a 2 piece with a flat barrier from Hollister . My stoma is short and kinda points down . My ostomy nurse switched me to a Hollister convex barrier still 2 piece and it did the trick for me .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
January 11, 2018 12:43 pm  

Hi Anne, Robert and Bubbles have some good advice/pointers for ya. Having an aroma!! like it!! LOL

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 11, 2018 12:50 pm  

Bubbles, I see that u love these new seal rings.. I have some to try-- I think you and I do the same.. Cut them (Ekin seals) in half--I have done this for years for the pillow affect, and just the right EXTRA convex I need. Do u do this with the protective seals? I did try a full Protective seal (not cut in half) and did not get any further time. Just need your help on this.. As going to infusion 3x a week- I hate to try new ones--get my drift??????? Thanks--ae a nice day--

Talking about the Brava protective seals rings..  *************** :-) Marcie.......

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 11, 2018 12:59 pm  

In most cases, retracted stomas are nearly always helped by using a convex appliance*

* You should consult with a stoma nurse before using convex products as they may cause bruising or pressure sores if not used correctly. There are many types of convex appliances out there: deep, shallow, soft, hard, etc. and each one works differently.

Sometimes, using a product like a barrier ring can simulate convexity, but it may not be enough for a recessed stoma. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 11, 2018 1:25 pm  

True Eric, The harder deep convex did give me issues, My Nellie sticks her tounge out almost an inch-- but side ways to the her right.. So, I  had to make a new design dressing forher.. It worked  for me, and others, as the other convetx's killed us with sores on the other parts.. I WOULD NOT SUGGEST THIS TO PEOPLE THAT ARE NEW, AND USING A DEEP CONVETX!!! If your into this area of such, your nurse should have help for you-- I did not.. It was "well, this all that we have for you" type of thing.."  **********Wish I had Eric during those days!!!!!!!! I saw different stoma nurses for many months after my surgery--I got understanding.. and one or two new products to try--But I wish I had Eric!! Even if it has been just 3 years, I just found him and you all--and I feel like I am home again.. Trust..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
January 11, 2018 4:45 pm  
Posted by: Marcie

Bubbles, I see that u love these new seal rings.. I have some to try-- I think you and I do the same.. Cut them (Ekin seals) in half--I have done this for years for the pillow affect, and just the right EXTRA convex I need. Do u do this with the protective seals? I did try a full Protective seal (not cut in half) and did not get any further time. Just need your help on this.. As going to infusion 3x a week- I hate to try new ones--get my drift??????? Thanks--ae a nice day--

Talking about the Brava protective seals rings..  *************** :-) Marcie.......

I like to tear open at one spot and shape into a U shape big enough so I first tuck U under my stoma then wrap it around meeting the two open ends together on top part of stoma. I then press open ends into each other to create a seal .I hope my explanation makes sense .

i do not use / roll these like I did the Ekin rings .

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
January 11, 2018 4:52 pm  

Hi Bubbles, I put everything together then place the wafer/pouching on my body.. I find working with Nellie alone, she just yaks at me and the bathroom counter cabinets..  To much of a clean up-- She talks more than I do. So, you can just imanage what I am dealing with at times......... :-(            But I will try your way with this this new product-but NOT working with Nellie unless I am in an open field.. :-) 

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
January 13, 2018 7:09 pm  

Anne, it's great to see how everyone jumped in to help you.

My thinking is for you to call Coloplast or equal and discuss this with them. Their personel are very knowledgeable about what their product line can and cannot do AND they send you samples to try out.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)
Registered
February 24, 2018 7:09 pm  

Hey robert, what part numbers do you use for Hollister convex?

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Registered
March 13, 2018 10:39 am  

My stoma  isn't retracted but it is very short...my new colorectal surgeon told me it is very "tiny".

I use coloplast light convex. one piece bags with brava moldable rings right now.  I have had my fair share of leaks...well more than my fair share. I started wearing the belt that my stoma nurse gave me (it is not the belt that goes with my bag but...any port in a storm). Since I started wearing the belt I have only had one leak (it was while I was being prepped for my thyroid surgery but we won't get into that)

All this being said, I contacted coloplast for some free samples a few weeks ago...they called me yesterday. Both reps I spoke to were very nice and very helpful. They asked a lot of questions and listened to my stoma concerns. Long story short, they are sending me some bags with a deeper convex  and some of their new protective rings AND a belt that actually fits my coloplast bags!!! 

I have had skin issues from the leaks and you all know what a vicious circle that becomes...your skin is a mess because of the leaks/it leaks because your skin is a mess...YIKES. It is all healed now.

I just want to say thank you to Eric and everyone on this forum. I didn't even know I could ask for samples until I saw it here. My stoma nurses are 1 1/2 hours away and are not the best at returning phone calls. I just want you all to know how much I appreciate all the info and advice available here.

Now, fingers crossed that my repair surgery is a success and then I can have My illieostomy reversed this summer!

Edited: 4 months  ago

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 13, 2018 3:14 pm  

Good luck, Malsgal! I'm glad you spoke with Coloplast, too! They have excellent customer service!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register