Product Experience/Questions: Brava Protective Ring  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
April 27, 2017 6:53 pm  

Alright, the Brava Protective Ring (Thin, 1 1/8) worked as advertised. I was very happy with the comfort while wearing this. There was only minor swelling of the product, and little erosion. My skin was, for the most part, happy. I am very happy with it aside from one thing, it was stuck to me like glue.

Now while my skin is very sensitive, there is something very nice about it in that things stick well but not too well. I have never had to use adhesive removers, my appliance always comes off cleanly when I change but has never felt insecure like it would fall off. I like that.

For whatever reason, the top 1/3 of the ring was stuck like glue and would not release. I ended up having to pull quite a bit. I did it slowly and carefully, trying to to damage my skin. There was a point there, as I was slowly, painfully pulling this thing off my skin that I thought Please don't let it all be this way... Luckily it was only the top third of the product that did it, the rest pulled easily and cleanly off. 

After I managed to get all the ring off (it left a fair bit on the skin where it had stuck so completely), I did my change as normal save this time I cut the ring in half and then stretched it a little so when applying it to my skin, I could cover about 2/3 around my stoma. Since I only need it for the problem area, this works great. I do not have any issues with the skin at the top of the stoma, just ends and bottom (oval stoma's have ends!). We'll see how this works.

In spite of that issue, I am very pleased but noticed a couple of things and am hoping that some of you have some advice or tricks for dealing with them. Or if you don't use this product but want to try, I guess it is some advance warning. First, these stick really well. Unlike the rings/strip paste that can be put down and taken up again, these like to stay once put. Secondly, and this is the other side of the same coin, there seems to be no forgiveness if you put your appliance down on it... it is done, staying where put, no second chance to line things up.

So, does anyone else have experience with these? Any advice or ideas for either applying or removing the rings? Any tips or tricks?

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 27, 2017 7:40 pm  

How long did you have it on for? Did you use any other products like barrier wipes on your skin before applying it? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
April 28, 2017 2:39 am  

I use barrier film wipes and stoma powder on the skin right next to the stoma, as I always do. It was just really strange that it only stuck that bad on one part. It was a four day change, like always. Honestly though, I know I could have gotten another day out of it, maybe two.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 28, 2017 9:08 am  

I'd be interested to know if it always does this or if was only that time. Your skin may need some time to adapt, which is why I test products for a minimum of two weeks (usually longer). 

ReplyQuote
suznsteve5
(@suznsteve5)
Registered
April 30, 2017 9:53 pm  

I had the same problem. I can't use them. I really like them but adhesive too strong.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 1, 2017 2:16 am  

Well, now I've done my second change. This time it came off with no issue. However, I did make a change when putting it on. This time I cut the ring in half then stretched it (I like it super thin btw) so it covered about 2/3 around my stoma. I left the very top open, applied it to the skin covering the sides and bottom. As I said, it came off easily.

This time I took the left over half and stretched out, and placed it on the appliance rather than my skin. I have been consistent in the skin prep before applying. The post application has had some minor differences in the amount of heat. I usually warm it after application, but last time I only did that for a short period, and this change not at all. We'll see how it goes when I change on Wednesday.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 1, 2017 2:25 am  

Thanks for the update, Kae! I hope you continue to have better luck with those rings!

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 1, 2017 2:49 pm  

Well, I find that they are very comfortable to wear, and I like they are thin (and made thinner by my cutting in half and stretching it out). I do not use them for leak prevention, and certainly not for convexity, but for skin protection. It seems to do a good job of that so far and I am happy to say that the itching has decreased with these compared to other products or even no additional products.

I will keep you posted. On a side note, I realize that I placed this thread in the wrong forum but I did not want to start a new one in the correct forum just for updates.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 2, 2017 12:06 am  
Posted by: Kae

I will keep you posted. On a side note, I realize that I placed this thread in the wrong forum but I did not want to start a new one in the correct forum just for updates.  

No worries - moved it to the right forum :)

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 5, 2017 3:35 pm  

Third should have been done on Wednesday but I was sick, so was 5 days before I changed. Again, the ring released as it should. I think the issue I had the first time may have been too much heat after application. Not completely sure, of course but I did not use the heat compress that I used to use these last couple changes. These rings stick very well without it.

So, after three changes, I can say I am happy with this product and will continue to use it. Sticks well, protects well, little erosion, easy to mold and apply. Just need to be careful during application. Once it's on the skin it doesn't like to release so make sure everything is as lined up as possible.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 5, 2017 4:10 pm  

Thanks for the update, Kae! Funny enough, I've been working on the video review for these :) Should be up next week.

Tony H liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 5, 2017 6:02 pm  

I also use the brava moldable rings. They work very well for me. I use them with Hollister convex wafer ( and Hollister bags). They do stick REALLY well. Thats what I was looking for. I stick the rings to the barrier using heat( hair dryer) and pressure (fingers) BEFORE I put them on my body. They then seem to stay together as a unit when I remove them. That way very little of that barrier 'stuff' is left on my skin.

p.s. does anyone know how to get that gluey stuff off the shower floor or out of ones pubes? ( Eric, if this is indelicate I can edit).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
May 7, 2017 12:39 pm  

I just tried the new Brava protective ring after speaking with the rep. Holy Cow! That thing sticks like super-glue to the wafer and, kind of unfortunately, to your skin as well. I had to use a ton of adhesive remove spray to get it off. Interestingly, the rep said that most people found the new ring was quite easy to remove. Weird!

One good thing about the ring - I didn't use any skin barrier wipe/spray or stoma powder before applying it, again per the rep's instructions. When I finally got the ring off, I noticed that my skin looked more healthy (less red) than when I use either the Eakin slim rings or the Hollister Adapt rings. I guess I'll still experiment a bit as healthy skin is a definite bonus!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2017 12:50 pm  
Posted by: bluesgal

Interestingly, the rep said that most people found the new ring was quite easy to remove. Weird!

I have a feeling that there are a few reasons why this would happen, but the protective rings are means to be easier to remove compared to the moldable rings by Coloplast. 

Do you heat your wafer after applying or have you had any hot showers since applying the wafer? These would cause it to stick more, but it can also be that your skin needs to adjust to the new adhesive. Give it a few weeks and see if it gets better. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2017 12:52 pm  
Posted by: Dona

p.s. does anyone know how to get that gluey stuff off the shower floor or out of ones pubes? ( Eric, if this is indelicate I can edit).

Hey Dona, great question. Can we start a new thread about it? :-)

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 7, 2017 1:56 pm  
Posted by: VeganOstomy

Do you heat your wafer after applying or have you had any hot showers since applying the wafer? These would cause it to stick more...  

I think this was the mistake I made when the top portion stuck so bad. I have always used heat immediately after applying the appliance, and did so the first time I used the new ring. I had a terrible time getting it off when it came time to change. Since then I have not used the additional heat, only my body heat right after application, and both times the appliance came off will little issue. 

I do not use adhesive removers. I also have never had one come 'unstuck' ever.  I am rather relieved that my skin seems to be a happy medium in that I don't have either issue. Yes, they stay stuck but when I peel them off with care, they come away very nicely.

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)
Registered
May 7, 2017 1:59 pm  

I don't heat the wafer before applying it, nor do I heat the barrier ring. I just press it onto the wafer. Of course, I take showers with everything on (well, not my clothes) but bag/wafer's on me, so I assume things get warm. But I'm still going to give the rings another try because of the better skin.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 7, 2017 3:19 pm  

Hey Dona, great question. Can we start a new thread about it? :-)

Great Idea Eric...how and where? I am not the most techie among us!

Can you do that? or should I try?

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 7, 2017 4:09 pm  
Posted by: Dona

Great Idea Eric...how and where? I am not the most techie among us!

Can you do that? or should I try?  

It's easy :) 

Head over to THIS forum, scroll a bit until you see "add topic" and click on it. You'll get a place to enter a new title and your question, then just hit "submit".  

I have instructions on how to do this HERE if you get stuck.

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 9, 2017 4:43 pm  

Alright... trying to figure out the rhyme or reason of this thing.  So fourth change was Sunday night. Again I had the issue of the top portion sticking way to hard. The purpose of the ring is defeated if I end up irritating the skin when trying to remove the ring or worse, tearing it! Which, I have to say, it felt like I was doing. 

• So first use: Standard procedure, used whole ring, mild heat after application. Removal was horrible as the top 1/3rd of the product stuck like glue but the rest released fine. (smaller ring)
  • Second use:  Standard procedure, used half a larger ring and stretched it to fit 3/4 around stoma leaving the top uncovered, no additional heat after application. Removal was beautiful, only a couple specs of residue. The top where there was no product did allow for some very small seepage.
  • Third use: Standard procedure, use second half of ring and stretched it to fit completely around stoma, no heat after application. Removal was also very good, some small specs of residue. There did not seem to be any seepage.
  • Forth use: Standard procedure, used a full ring again, did not add heat after applying. Removal was bad again but not as bad as the first. Top 1/4 of the product stuck hard and fast. Caused considerable skin irritation removing. On the plus side, there were no leaks and no seepage.
  • Fifth use: Standard procedure, used half a ring and stretched to fit around the whole stoma, no heat after application.... will let you know how this change goes later this week.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register