Clear all

Ez-vent attachment I 3d printed  

tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

In an attempt to use the ez-vent with a filter of some sort and have the filter only used when needed and away from moisture from the inside of the bag, I designed and 3d printed a little attachment thingy that rotates/slides a possible filter over the opening when needed.

Problems are, what to use as a filter that can fit in the little holder. I'm trying a small strip of laundry sheet sprayed with air freshener, and folded and stuffed in. It needs to be some sort of real filter though.

Also, as Eric pointed out to me, it will still be hit with moisture if there's any spray of output coming out of the ezvent when used, which defeats the whole purpose. So I'm just putting this out there to see if someone can see any potential way to advance it. It may have just been a lost cause. A link to a zip file with the .stl 3d printable files is here:

DOWNLOAD LINK

1613595925-ezvent_thingy.jpg

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

Great idea

What you need is a carbon filter, if you have access to a filtered bag usually they have a round black disc which is the carbon filter if you could do a mod to fit one in your 3d I think you'll be on to a winner talk with ezvent they might develop it?

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chrisandbagpus I had a discussion with Tim about options and the problem with any filter media is that they will get clogged and cause problems. 

There actually IS a product designed to deodorize the EZ-Vent, but it just didn't work for me because of that: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-vent-filter-for-osto-ez-vent-review/

So the challenge is how to keep the filter clean. Most of the things I'm thinking of seem to replicate the design of pouch filters, which we all know aren't that great. LOL

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@veganostomy

Understood the coloplast filters are round plastic seal front and back filtering through the sides only. could they not be designed to "hot swap" so to speak, Gortex material is gas permeable and water repellent might it work in a swappable filter Gortex is expensive but the amount would be small.

These are just a couple of ideas, Tim is doing a great experiment hope the manufacture help him, a good solution would be in al of our interests.

If only I had a 3d printer LOL

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

I had good success with carbon filter pads meant to be used over heat registers(hot air) in the home. about 1/8 - 3/16's of an inch thick.

beware, I also found carbon filter cloth from Amazon, but the  cloth was not tightly woven enough and past stinky air.

Hollister has goretex filters on some bags, they seem to work somewhat better. they still had some functionality after thoroughly rinsing bag out.

ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)
Registered
Topic starter  

I approached the makers of ez-vent, and they passed on the idea, with some valid points. But that's ok.

Time permitting, I'll try some different filter ideas.

ReplyQuote