Community Forums

A few updates to the forum registration form and topic subscriptions  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 11, 2018 3:18 pm  

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know that a few minor changes have been made to the forums so they are compliant with the GDPR rules that are going into effect later this month. You can read more about what GDPR is here, but it's basically a change in how user data is collected and how user privacy works on the internet.

It's more of a requirement for people/businesses in the EU, but since VeganOstomy has visitors from all over the works, I feel it was important to comply with these rules anyway. Since user privacy and security has always been a priority for me, I'm quite happy to make these changes and see some benefits in doing so.

First off, the registration form will now have mandatory opt-in for the terms and conditions.

I've also added a google "reCATPCHA" box to help fight spam. If I notice that it's preventing spam the way I expect, I won't need to add one of those "I am a human" boxes anywhere else on the forums - if they do miss a few spammers, I may need to add them to the login page as well. Since spam is generally kept under control anyway, I'm not too worried, but there has been a dramatic influx in attempted spam posts, so a proactive approach is probably better anyway.

All that applies mostly to non-registered users who want to register, but this next change concerns everyone on the forums:

Subscriptions to forum topics are now opt-in

Before, the little "Subscribe to this topic" box was automatically checked when you leave a reply to a forum topic. This was convenient and logical, but it, unfortunately, would not comply with the new GDPR rules, which puts an emphasis on opt-in for users. 

What this means for you is that if you leave the checkbox unticked, you will not get an email notifying you when a new reply is posted to a thread that you are active on. 

If you visit the forums often, then this may not be an issue for you, since you can check the recent posts page. But if you've posted a question and are expecting an email when someone answers it, you should check that box or manually subscribe to the topic. 

More about subscribing/unsubscribing to topics can be found HERE.

I hope that clarifies a few things. No doubt that you've been likely getting a flood of emails from companies about their privacy policy changes over the last few weeks - all because of the GDPR coming. My privacy policy is always available on THIS page.

Take care,

Eric

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 11, 2018 3:51 pm  

Hi Eric, it good to know members can use the forum knowing that their data is safe. so much of the internet is polluted with spam and scam and details stolen and used. Like so much here in the UK no one seems to know how the rules will work after Brexit. Many Thanks.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 12, 2018 12:07 pm  

Eric sorry but I'm not the best with computers . Does this mean we can check the box and stay checked in ? And the email you mentioned is that the private messages or an actual email to our regular email address . I haven't been getting anything in my email and my private messages hasn't worked right in a long time so I don't even try using it .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 12, 2018 2:24 pm  
Posted by: Robert

Does this mean we can check the box and stay checked in ?

The checkbox that I'm referring to is specifically the one at the bottom of your reply box that says "Subscribe to this topic". By default, it's not deselected. If you want to receive an email whenever someone replies to a topic, you must make sure that that box is checked.

The box that I think you're referring to is the one that keeps you logged in. That's a "remember me" button on the login page, but that won't keep you logged in forever - it will only make logging in easier.

And the email you mentioned is that the private messages or an actual email to our regular email address .

The email I'm talking about is specifically for notifications on topics you've subscribed to. 

I haven't been getting anything in my email and my private messages hasn't worked right in a long time so I don't even try using it .

Can we continue this topic on the thread about Private Messages here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/bug-reports/help-with-pm-messages/

I haven't been having problems with it working, or the notifications from it, but I can help you troubleshoot it (there have been more updates to the Private Message software, so it may be fixed already).

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register