Notifications
Clear all

Ostomates advice  

RSS

Francoise
(@francoise)
Registered
June 9, 2020 5:58 pm  

Hi, I received my ileostomy back in March and now that I am starting to come back physically I have noticed a new problem.  Because of the ostomy pouch I have sweat that does not evaporate under the stoma pouch causing skin irritations.  I have tried different underwear and wraps but the even if I am not hot the underwear and/or wrap in wet.  What should I do?  My skin is really red and irritated from it?

LLNorth liked
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
June 9, 2020 6:41 pm  

Hi Francoise,

I use a small cotton handkerchief between the pouch  and my skin when I need to - absorbs sweat and it is easy to wash and dry. 
LL

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 10, 2020 3:56 am  

Hi Francoise, hydrocortisone creams are great for heat or sweat rashes. I don’t know if you have a product called E45 where you are but am sure there will be similar. I like to put some baby powder under the bag and it’s a great help.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 10, 2020 11:34 am  

Hi @francoise, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble. Summer and sweating can certainly create an added layer of obstacles for us. 

I'd like to ask if you can clarify if you mean that the sweat under the wafer is a problem or just under the bag itself. 

If it's under the wafer, then you may have better luck using an extended wear product and changing your appliance more often than you normally would when you aren't sweating. 

If it's the bag, I sometimes use baby powder and will nearly always use either a pouch cover or some other band that keeps my pouch secure. These help to keep the sweat down to a minimum. 

You don't want to have the bag directly on your skin as the plastic of the bag won't allow your skin to breathe or the sweat to evaporate, so it becomes a problem. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Francoise
(@francoise)
Registered
June 20, 2020 9:57 pm  

@veganostomy

thanks so much for your help!  Initially it was under the bag and I have used your baby powder trick for that and it helped.  Unfortunately the rash has now grown under the adhesive.  I definitely think it is a sweet issue.  What type of extended wear products do you recommend?  I am nervous because my hope is to get back to working out but I am now afraid that will just make it worse.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 22, 2020 11:14 am  
Posted by: @francoise

Unfortunately the rash has now grown under the adhesive.  I definitely think it is a sweet issue.  What type of extended wear products do you recommend?

I'm sorry to hear that the rash has grown. This really does need to be addressed by a stoma nurse, in case it's more than just a regular rash and needs to be treated with a topical. 

I suggest looking at extended wear products from the brand you already use for starters. Then you won't be changing too much at once. If that fails, consider other brands that you have easy access to.

I'm partial to Hollister because I use their appliances, but that's not to say that they would work best for you. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote