Notifications
Clear all

New Ostomy  

RSS

GeoRupp
(@georupp)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:00 pm  

Hi everyone. My name is George and I just got my end colostomy June 2. This is my 2nd bought with cancer. 1st time was 20 years ago when I had a rectal tumor removed but had normal bowels. This time I had to have a proctocolectomy and now have an end colostomy. I still have 3/4 of my colon. I have a lot of questions about ostomy care and just living my new life with one. I have been watching your videos and find them very helpful. Thank you for everything you are doing. 

john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:06 pm  

Hi George, Welcome to the forum, do feel free to ask what ever you need. First bit of advice I would give is never judge the ostomy life on the first months of recovery 

ReplyQuote
GeoRupp
(@georupp)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:14 pm  

Thank you. My 1st question is does anyone feel their output when it comes out of your stoma? Also is it ok to have stool on your stoma or should I clean it when I empty my bag? 

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:18 pm  

Simple answer is yes! But most of the time when busy or just focusing on something else it happens without notice. No need to clean only when changing 

ReplyQuote
GeoRupp
(@georupp)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:25 pm  

Thanks for answering. I am sure I will have more questions in the future and hopefully when my new normal becomes easy I can help others.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 8, 2020 6:34 pm  

George, I rarely feel the output coming out.  And the only time I clean my stoma is, like John said, when I change out my wafer. 

ReplyQuote
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered
July 8, 2020 8:48 pm  

Hi George and welcome.  I do sometimes feel the output exiting but like John said for me it's not often and usually when I'm not focused on something else or if it's very thick due to something I ate.  I got my ileostomy 8 mos ago and have now pretty much fully adjusted.  I'm taking my first overnight trip this weekend and more worried about Covid than anything relating to my stoma.  Things do get better! Eric's site is really great at providing information to help you adjust and make the most of life.  Sending my best wishes ..

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 8, 2020 10:18 pm  

Welcome George.

This does all get easier and settle down over time.

It can seem overwhelming at first and there is lots of sort of little things to learn but the day will come when you absolutely forget about it. REALLY.

I can feel the output sometimes, like Lynne said, when its especially thick. When that does happen, I gently push the wad,lump, chunk ( pick your own best word!) down off the stoma. You want to keep it from building up over the stoma.

No need to wash it although I do my changes in the shower and just take it all off. Feels GREAT!

Great you found VO it is a wonderful site.

ReplyQuote
rosepritchard
(@rosepritchard)
Registered
July 9, 2020 11:30 am  

@georup

Hi George

Just to add a little bit to this as well - I don’t tend to feel the output coming out from the stoma at all, but it’s quite usual for me to hear it! I can have quite a chorus of squeaks and bubbling noises going on letting me know that it’s all working. So not to worry if that happens…...

I can only echo others and say that this site is the best thing ever as a source of information, help and advice - and I'm not even a vegan!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 9, 2020 11:38 am  
Posted by: @georupp

Thank you. My 1st question is does anyone feel their output when it comes out of your stoma? Also is it ok to have stool on your stoma or should I clean it when I empty my bag? 

Welcome to the forums, George!

I sometimes do feel my output, but not always. It often depends on how thick the output is and what I'm doing at the time. Usually, I don't feel it at all until I notice the weight of the bag getting heavier. 

Stool won't hurt your stoma, so it's not necessary to clean around it when you empty your bag. If you have "pancaking" that is, when the output is really stuck around the stoma and seems to be caked-on, you may want to clean around it just to make sure that it doesn't prevent the normal flow of output. 

Feel free to ask more questions. It may benefit you and others to ask separate questions in the appropriate sub-forum so it's easy to follow and answer. 

Take care! 

ReplyQuote