new and learning at...

Notifications
Clear all

new and learning at 65

bagbob
(@bagbob)
Registered
Topic starter  

I've had my ileostomy for eight weeks now after suffering from ulcerative colitis for years. First, What a relief after being sick for years and trying all kinds of drugs and biologics that would only work a little or not work at all. Having my colon removed made my health so much better. I've been watching the videos on this site and can't thank you guys enough for all the helpful information. I'm still learning and and getting better at my new routines. So far so good. The only issue I've had so far is I slipped and fell while weed wacking on a steep hill next to my house this week. I had to go to the ER because of a prolapse of my ileostomy. The funny part of my visit was the ER doctor just poured sugar on it and poked it back in. Other then that I'm getting my energy back a little more each day and coming back to life.   ~BOB

ulcerative colitis since 2011
ileostomy 3-3-2021

Jeff, LK, LLNorth and 2 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome for the forums, bagbob!

Ouch for that fall, but the sugar trick is a real thing!! Thanks for sharing that. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum, sounds like yer doin great. All the best with the recovery 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Hello Bob! Welcome to VO where you don't have to be vegan to be here but you'll sure learn lots! Eric has done an amazing job here & is my secret hero! Shhhhh...don't tell him!

I'm sorry about your fall, I know its scarey to see that much of your insides going for a walk without you! lol! Mine likes to hike periodically & will go about 7 inches from home. lol! The sugar thing does work well but I didn't know it at the time & while laying down trying to figure out what to do, it went back where it came from!

I'm so happy to hear your enjoying your new found relief & health! Your energy will change also. Enjoy & if you have any questions we are here for you! Be as well as you can be! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
bagbob
(@bagbob)
Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks folks for the replies. I'm still a little sore from the fall so I've taken a few days off work. The boss doesn't mind cause I'm self employed. Although I did stop by at work today, you know, the employees like to get paid. but other than that I'm resting and taking it easy.  ~BOB

ulcerative colitis since 2011
ileostomy 3-3-2021

LK and LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered

Hi Bob, and welcome!!  I'm so glad to hear you're doing well after your surgery.  Same for me.  I didn't know how sick I was until my surgery. Best wishes, and please keep posting.  It's so nice to hear others' stories. 

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

Hi Bob and welcome! Sorry to hear about your fall, but glad to hear that things are all right. BTW, the sugar trick was used years ago by vets when a cow had a prolapsed uterus after calving. There was a little more to it than what you experienced, but the idea is the same!

God bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote