Notifications
Clear all

Hi

16 Posts
7 Users
20 Likes
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

Hi, my name is Donna and I live in Maryland on the Eastern Shore. I am having Ostomy surgery on July 13. I just had surgery on my bowels that were in Prolapse, a pure nightmare. I never thought I would be going into another surgery within six weeks apart and having this type surgery. I know I’m no better then anyone else, it’s just a shock. I have looked at so much You Tube and someone told me to keep looking at Eric’s sights he is the best so hers I am. I’m so confused and feel it is going to be complicated. Thanks for your time. 

Donna Lynch

VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi Donna, 

Thank you again for being a part of this forum. 

It can be a real shock to go through an unexpected surgery - especially twice! Hang in there! These bumps in the road often lead to a wonderful destination and we're happy to be travelling with you :)

Let us know how we can help you through this. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Donna2138 and Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@betterbowels)

Hi Donna,

I'm also new here. My advice is probably few and far between at this point, but I can assure you that this doesn't have to be life-altering. I'm sure it's not all positive, but I've found that one you get the hang of it, everything gets much easier. There will be bad days, and it's okay to be upset those days. It's okay to cry all day (or for three, if you're me), but remember that there are so many people supporting you in this community. 

Good luck with your surgery,

Darla

ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

Thanks Darla. I’m glad I’m not the only newbie. I take it you have already had your surgery. I go in July 13th. It seems it’s so much to learn and seem complicated. 

• How long has it been for you? If you don’t mind me asking. 

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
(@betterbowels)

I had a surprise emergency surgery on Aril 24th. Pardon my honesty, but at first, when I got home, I was experiencing leak after leak after leak and I hated my ostomy. I cried for three days about having gone through this experience. I'd almost died in the hospital and was close to death for weeks, and I kept wishing the experience would have killed me. It wasn't just the ostomy which had me so depressed - I went through some other stress around the same time, but most importantly, this is a huge surgery for your body to endure. Don't be hard on yourself when you experience trouble. Remember that you're strong enough to pull through it, and the grass actually is greener on the other side. 

So, I've had my ostomy about two months now, and I can honestly say it has been very positive. Sure, the change isn't easy at first, but after you've got the hang of it, it becomes a piece of cake. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the hospital, you might be surprised to find that some of the nurses taking care of you live with an ostomy themselves. 

SMW and Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

So sorry you had gone threw so much. I’m glad your coping better. I understand the depression. I have had one thing after another with my health since 2018 has come in.  I am lucky on o e thing, getting this Ostomy wasn’t a life or death thing, it’s more of a better life that I can live. How has your eating going? And how are you coping with your clothes? I have been doing so much research that I think I’m burning out lol. I think I’m over thinking this whole thing. 

So sorry again that this was just hit on you line that. Hugs

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Darla and Donna, Information and access to it is very important and the details you will get from Vegan Ostomy will guide you and us all out of a lot of problems. Adapting to an ostomy is both a life changing and life saving operation but don,t over think it. take each day and each problem one step at I time. It will become very natural and just blend in with every day life and yes the point will come when you will forget its even their :-) 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, Robert and Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

Thanks John. I hear a lot of that. Thanks for your support.

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Donna...welcome to you also.  Try  and take just one day at a time and remember you have support here anytime.  It may take time for some to catch up to you,  but it does happen.  Our bodies got thru a lot,  but we are all on the other side of the grass.  If it does not kill you it only makes you stronger.  There are many super people here and videos to watch and learn from.  I have re- watched some many times and still learn something new all the time.  If you have questions, ask them.  You will be surprised at the help and  the encouragement.  If you have topics you want input on that happens also.

If you have a topic you want discussed say it.  Help is at your finger tips.

Stay well and be a patient patient.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

Thank you so much. I love this sight and have learned so much already. People are so friendly here. Hugs

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Tell us about yourself.  What is your passion?

Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

I’m 63 and retired, and have fell apart with my health since lol. I worked for the state for 30 plus years. I have lots of medal in my body and a rod in my back. I’m Married with one son. I have put myself threw collage at this age, I will graduate this Saturday with a associates degree and next summer I will graduate with a bachelors degree. My passion is when I go to the hospital once a week to visit the sick. I’m in the works of getting my hospital Chaplains degree also. I care about people. I love to crochet and make baby hats, cancer hats and prayer cloths. I’m hoping this Ostomy bag will give me my life back to do more. Right now I can’t go much because I have no control over my bowels and don’t know when I go on myself. I have been dealing with this for almost 20 years just got worse over time, then a few months ago I had bowel Prolapse and it has made matters worse. I don’t like to complain because there are way worse people out here then me. 

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Wow! I am impressed! 

Good to have you with us. You are my kind of people,  putting one foot in front of the other  and marching forward. 

Z

Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hi to both Donna2138 and Darla (BetterBowels) and welcome to the forum . Like I tell everybody you have settled into a good place here on Eric's site . You can learn a lot here I have and also tell your experiences to others so they can benefit from what you have been threw . Actually I wasn't to happy when I received my Norman either like you Darla I had problems with leaks and skin irritation for several months . But being here I have learned so much and with the advice of fellow ostomates on here things have gotten much better and I am dealing with everything better . Its going on 2 years for me and has taken me awhile but some of us adjust faster than others . I dealt with mine for 10 years before electing to have the surgery (thanks to my wife pushing me ha) and now I can do so much more than before . Don't hesitate to ask questions here . Donna congratulations on your graduation this  Saturday ! :-) 

Kinda long winded sorry . But welcome to the group both of you !

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@donna2138)
Topic starter  

Thanks Robert. I have learned a lot so far. This is the best sight I have been on as I was looking for somewhere to be. Everyone is so friendly and informative. Thanks again

Donna Lynch

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Donna.  You have accomplished a lot just joining this sight.  We never complain here,  we share, we support and it helps tremendously.  There  are  ideas and things to explore and questions can be asked without shame and turning red.  Never hesitate.  I watch and re-watch Erics videos and am still learning new things  or re-enforcing what I have learned on my own.  Congrats on your grad, this is wonderful.  You can be sure that your life will get much  better and that you guts will become a  lot more predictable.  Pay attention to foods, dress and whether even.  I also visited the ill in our little hospital and helped fold linens once a week, but I had to stop due to my hut thing.  I miss it.   I also crochet, cross stitch and sew.  I love cooking and baking especially.  When I figure it out, I will post my picture.  How about you?  Anyone else.  The way I see we all share one thing, pain in one way or another and depending on what you have read, we have shared our innermost stories. A privileged group I say.  

Linda

Donna2138 reacted
ReplyQuote