Community Forums

Hello All,  

RSS

nancyab
(@nancyab)
Registered
May 1, 2017 1:33 am  

I had my colostomy surgery January 19th of this year and was released from a rehab facility on 3/25/2017, so I'm still trying out various products to see what I'm most comfortable with. I have season camped at a specific campground for 16 years--this will be my 17th. Not sure how it's going to work out with this situation, but I did want to try it anyway. The campground is open mid May to mid October and I spend most of the time up there, coming home for a couple of days at a time to check my mail, pay bills, make sure everything at home is okay and, of course, for numerous medical appointments after the surgery. I live in Enfield, Connecticut, with my dog who is also my camping buddy. We both get our exercise by going for numerous walks. I am 80 and she is seven. I've been watching the YouTube videos on this type of surgery starting with my days in rehab (fortunately they did have a patient computer I had access to) and have gained a lot from them not only for the products and techniques mentioned, but also the fact that there are a lot of us out there. Having this type of surgery made me feel so different from everyone else and very uncomfortable around people. I am happy to have not only these wonderful videos but the availability of this forum to learn from others who have walked this same path. Best to all, Nancy

Robert, john68 and uc2ostomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 1, 2017 2:28 am  

It's so nice to have you on the forums, Nancy!

You'll notice some changes over the next year as your body adjusts to its new configuration, but I have no doubt that you'll be able to enjoy your time camping (sounds like a fantastic site that you go to!). 

If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the forums :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and uc2ostomy liked
ReplyQuote
ambies
(@ambies)
Registered
May 1, 2017 10:32 am  

Hi all im new on the site just joined finding my way around 😊

Robert, john68, uc2ostomy and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 1, 2017 10:35 am  
Posted by: ambies

Welcome! Feel free to share an introduction HERE

If you need help using the forms, you can check out my walkthrough HERE

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Registered
May 1, 2017 3:44 pm  

Hi Nancy! So awesome to see your story. I had my colostomy 10/2016 after a two week stay in the hospital. It was not something I had considered before as I never am sick but my colon evidently decided to blow up one day. Anyway, the doctors and nurses were so worried about the mental effects such a surgery could have but I was blessed with a good friend that has a colostomy. So I was not a stranger to it and had had a positive story to relate to.

However, it was not until after surgery and doing research that I realized that ostomies are far more common than I had thought.  So you are not as different as you may think. It does take time to get comfortable with it. I know I'm not quite there but I find that it is not nearly as uncomfortable or as bad as I thought it could be. 

I don't think you'll have too much trouble camping. I got a little plastic, rectangular basket with a handle to put all my supplies in. I keep one at home and one at work. At home it sits on the counter next to the toilet but at work it is in my office so when I need to go to the bathroom I just grab my basket and go. I also have a regular folding metal chair that I take into the handicap stall so I can sit and face the toilet to empty and clean. I am not sure what kind of camping you are doing but maybe the basket and a folding chair would come in handy. Just thought I'd put that out there but I think you'll do just fine. I mean, you have a good dog, what else do you need?

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
nancyab
(@nancyab)
Registered
May 1, 2017 7:12 pm  

Thanks. I like your idea of the basket. What I'm using now (and I don't leave home without it!) is my Coloplast bag I got at the hospital in an introductory kit which also included a book and DVD with lots of info. I've worked out a half way good system at home; it's just adapting to taking it on the road, so to speak. I just received a folding metal cup (used by hikers) which fits in the bag so that I can rinse my pouch out with water after emptying it. The basket would come in very handy to hold a container of  water from the sink and take  it and the rest of the supplies into the stall.

I empathize with your open wound situation. The staples popped a few days after the surgery, so I, too, ended up with an open wound that I refused to look at until the visiting nurse told me it had healed, and it's only to make sure I avoid it when putting on my wafer. With the close proximity to my stoma, I had a lot of really nasty leaking issues. Switching from a flat to a convex wafer helped a great deal.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Can you imagine what this type of surgery must have been like 20 years ago! I've spoken with people who've had them for around 15 years, but it does take a lot of time to get used to the idea that this is how life is from this point on.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 1, 2017 7:14 pm  

Nancy, Welcome.

A good dog and a plan to go camping this summer sound like just the ticket. You will find lots of us here that are very happy to be alive and ostomates. It does take some getting used to, but you will.

I will look forward to hearing your camping stories.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 1, 2017 7:16 pm  

Hi again Nancy. Also I think zip-lock freezer bags would NOT go unused on a camping trip!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
uc2ostomy
(@uc2ostomy)
Registered
May 1, 2017 7:56 pm  

Welcome Nancy as well as Ambies hope you are both well and im glad that you have found us on this awesome forum, you will find that everyone is very helpful :) welcome to the family <3 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
May 1, 2017 8:18 pm  

And welcome to Ambies , I will look forward to chatting. Its really great getting to know everyone.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 2, 2017 12:03 am  
Posted by: nancyab

What I'm using now (and I don't leave home without it!) is my Coloplast bag I got at the hospital  

Speaking of that bag - I'm still using mine from nearly four years ago!! I had to reinforce the top hanger as it was tearing, but I love this bag! (So much so that I asked for a second one).

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
nancyab
(@nancyab)
Registered
May 2, 2017 2:42 am  

I have a number of bags that were included with some of my pouch/wafer supplies - the zip lock freezer bags are a good idea, thanks.  One can never have too many disposable bags for this sort of thing, especially when traveling and needing to make a pit stop along the way.

ReplyQuote
ambies
(@ambies)
Registered
May 2, 2017 4:08 am  

Thank you for the welcome   I will be posting about myself  im not a newbie to ileostomy just the forum , but i will talk about my journey  

Im trying to change my avitar to my own picture but no sucsses yet lol   I will get there 😊

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 2, 2017 8:58 am  

Im trying to change my avitar to my own picture but no sucsses yet lol   I will get there 😊

Let me know if THESE instructions work. 

ReplyQuote
Golem18
(@golem18)
Registered
December 17, 2017 11:28 am  

I loved camping but I have been leery about sleeping in a tent and traipsing to the toilet in the middle of the night to empty my bag. How have you dealt with it? 

Marty Berman 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 17, 2017 11:41 pm  
Posted by: Golem18

I loved camping but I have been leery about sleeping in a tent and traipsing to the toilet in the middle of the night to empty my bag. How have you dealt with it? 

Marty Berman 

Hey Marty, welcome to the forum!

I'm going to start a new thread about camping as it'd be nice to share ideas there.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 18, 2017 3:25 am  

Morning, Hi to all the new members and its great to see so many new faces joining in. Nancy that's sounds like the beat way to spend the summer the great outdoors and mans/womans best friend. It may not seem like it but the toilet/loo issue out doors may be has some advantages. being form and living and working in the countryside I have always did one thing when needing to GO, Look for the biggest tree you can find lol. carry a few disposable bags and tissues simples.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 18, 2017 3:15 pm  

Welcome Nancy , Ambies and Marty even if you are not brand new welcome anyway . Nancy my wife and I also like camping but nowadays we do our camping in a trailer with all the comforts . I guess just getting out there is what we enjoy the most . We also have a little dog he goes everywhere with us but he is kinda old and has health problems but hey so are me and my wife ! Lol .

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register