Clear all

azmcinniis  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 22, 2020 9:07 pm  

I received an Ileostomy in 1955 at the Philadelphia Naval hospital after a lengthy illness that brought my weight down from 175 to 120. They said my illness was Ulcerative Colitis although it was more like Crohn's disease as they took out all my colon, all my large intestine and half my small intestine. The good news is that I have never had  problem with weight.

I was operated on in November of 1955 ,and my recovery was fast. I started College in January, and graduated from U of Wisconsin in 1960. I met a wonderful women in the summer of 1956, and we were married the following year. Today is our 63 Anniversary, and we are blessed with 5 children, 15 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.

Point being that you can live a normal life with an ostomy.

I use Hollister products, and there are a few things I would like to have different, but they work ok. Blockages have always bothered me, and I am right now worried about one popping up. I am not to interested in going to a hospital in light of the Corona Virus.

azmcinnis

sjlovestosing, LK, VeganOstomy and 5 people liked
Lynne
(@lynne)
Registered
June 22, 2020 11:28 pm  

AZ, thanks so much for sharing your story.  I read the first sentence and thought it must be a typo, but nope, 65 years with an ileostomy!  And sounds like a wonderful life, family and career.  Inspirational.  I imagine you've enjoyed the evolution/improvement of the products, including to help the skin, over the years.  Just curious, did you ever have to have a revision over those 65 years?  Since I just got mine 7 mos ago at 55, I don't think I'll beat your record but at least I know 40 more yrs should be doable.  Wishing you all the best. :-)    

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 23, 2020 1:31 am  

Hi  Acmcissis, Welcome to the forum, it’s an honour to have read your post, Totally inspiring 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 23, 2020 8:52 am  

Hi Acmcissis

Your stats are amazing certainly didn't slow you down any, 5 children 15 grandchildren- any pets ;-) .

I'm sure you must of seen a huge change in ostomy product over the years all I hope for the better.

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 23, 2020 9:54 am  
Posted by: @azmcinnis

I received an Ileostomy in 1955

Your story would be heartwarming if this happened today, but the fact that your journey began in the 50s makes it so special and quite amazing! Thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum. 

Happy Anniversary! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 23, 2020 11:27 am  

@chrisandbagpus

5 dogs buried in the back yard

ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 23, 2020 11:29 am  

@lynne

You are so right about improvement of products. My first pouch was a rubber appliance I had to change every day, and was it out.

ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 23, 2020 11:32 am  

@lynne

My only problems have been blockages.

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
June 23, 2020 12:34 pm  

Hi AZ,

how heartening it is to read your wonderful story! 
What company made the products you started out with?

And what kinds of dogs did you have? I have a cat, but I have gotten to like little dogs -  my grown daughters have a Cavalier (Bentley)  a Boston Terrier (Winnie Cooper), and a very skinny little mutt I am especially fond of named Thumper.

LL

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 23, 2020 7:40 pm  

@azmcinnis

It is always encouraging for us newer ostomates to hear success stories like yours. It gives us hope that getting back to a normal life is possible, even if it is a different normal from what we are used to. Congratulations on 63 years of marriage, and the family you and your wife have built. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 23, 2020 7:42 pm  

@llholiday

I love your daughter’s dog’s names, especially Winnie Cooper. That makes me laugh. 🤣

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK liked
ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 23, 2020 9:00 pm  

@squeakyandliza

I am blessed

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 23, 2020 9:08 pm  

@llholiday

Our first dog was a kind of a Chihuahua mix. a bulldog mix, Then a poodle, a Weimaraner  and a basset. My dog was the Weimaraner. Many hunting days with him 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
June 24, 2020 12:33 pm  

Welcome and thanks for joining the conversation.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 25, 2020 9:23 am  

@azmcinnis

Welcome to the forum! You truly are blessed! What an amazing story and life, and what an inspiration to all of us here. You certainly have the distinction of having the most experience! You could probably give us all pointers!

God bless you,

Stella

PS Your ostomy is one year older than me - I was born in 1956.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 25, 2020 11:44 am  

Hat's off to you! thank you for sharing your story.

Best wishes

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

LK liked
ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 25, 2020 4:08 pm  

@mimi

We are Mimi & Pops to our kids, grandkids and great grandkids

LK and Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 25, 2020 5:36 pm  

@azmcinnis...Welcome to the VO Site! That's some impressive ostomy history!  63 years is not slouchy at all! Congrats to you!! 

I look forward to reading what hacks & ideas you have found successful over the years! Its always good to have new people on board & I hope you will contribute here when you can.

Puppies in the back eh! We are not allowed to do that anymore where we live. I admit I struggle with not having my dear furry friends close by when they pass. I have 2 pups now they are #3 & "4.  3 is Shih-tzu cross, 4, the puppy is Malsheh. Shes almost 10 months & a crazy busy little girl! I can't imagine not having a puppy in my life. 

All the best to you!! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
azmcinnis
(@azmcinnis)
Registered
June 25, 2020 9:13 pm  

I guess I may have some thoughts that someone might find interesting, and maybe useful. After my surgery, I went back to school, got married after one year, and graduated in 1960 with a BSEE and 2 children.

At that time, jobs sere very plentiful, but I had problems. I had about 20 interviews, and only one job offer. My friends were being courted, and most interviewers viewed my ostomy as a disability. The one job offer I got was with Motorola in Phoenix AZ.

Fortunately, that was a good job.

I was shown a pouch made by Torbot. I don't even know if they are still in the business. The bag was a rubber one, and I used 2 per month, replacing them daily, washing the used one, and hanging it in a storage room to dry. I used a paste to it stick to my skin. It worked pretty well, and the odor from the bag was minimal.

Sometime in the 70's or 80's I found out about Hollister, and since then I have been using their products. While the Torbot was pretty good as far as odor was concerned, the output from the bag was always my main concern. I guess my kids figured "Dad's was pretty strong". Discovery of M9 has been a real blessing for me

For a long time, at Motorola, I wore shirt and tie, and pants that pretty much followed the shape of my body. Without a colon, large intestine and only half my small intestine, I have never had a problem with weight, although now, in my late 80's my chest has dropped down around my waist and I've gone to loose comfortable pants. I am also into Hawaiian shirts, and that is pretty much my costume. 

Actually, I teach ukulele for a group at my local senior center and another group at a hospital for Cancer survivors.

I have mentioned before about Blockages, and that is my biggest problem. I have been into emergency rooms too many times. About twice a year. I've only required surgery once, and that was to rearrange  my intestines. I am especially worried about that now with the Corona Virus problem. My wife and I stay pretty much at home.

That and the odor are the only things that have bothered me. If someone said they could fix me up, I'd turn it down. Think about it, you can control your visits to the bathroom a lot better. Also my stool odor is also under control. Keep on the Sunny side, always on the sunny side.

My bedtime is 11:00, and set an alarm for 3:00 and 7:00 to empty the pouch. Don't always need it, just as a precaution. 

I think that as this happened at age 23, it was a lot easier for a me as a young person to adjust to a different situation. I just kind of rolled with the punch, and that would be a lot tougher for someone older. I've been very lucky, great wife, great kids and good friends.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 25, 2020 9:51 pm  

@azmcinnis

I’m really glad you have joined us here on this forum, as you offer a perspective that few of us have, and your stories are interesting and entertaining. 

My husband and I went to Hawaii for a delayed honeymoon on our first anniversary. While spending the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center, we took a ukulele lesson and it was such fun!!

I hope you and your family all stay safe during this crazy time! 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2