Notifications
Clear all

NG tubes and other horror stories

17 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  

Marcie,  the job of the NG tube is to vacuum out the stomach contents before they enter the small intestines. This keeps the juices and contents  from the point of blockage , where it would cause more discomfort and pain. 

It's a disgusting horrible way to prevent a more digusting and horrible problem of sepsis and other diseases.  If they ever invent a better way, I am sure that it would be introduced into the protocols.  Until then. ...

The danger of the NG tube lies in its placement in the stomach. If it is misplaced,  it can cause an ulcer or even worse, a perforation.  Something to worry about. 

If the emergency room doctors  ( or nurses) say that you need it, then you need it. Go through the insertion process discomfort even though it is unpleasant,  to say the least. 

Tony H
(@tony-h)

I had to have an ng tube inserted after I got c diff  , the c diff caused a blockage and I started having fecal vomiting ,

I honestly think it was the worst experience ever and I was grateful that the ng tube was able to clear my stomach rather than the other option .

It atarted happening at night and I told the nurse on duty a few times that I wa feeling awful, she ignored me for about 3 hours  ,

then I started projectile vomiting , it was like something from the Exorcist ,it was terrifying at the time but I can laugh now at the nurses reaction.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I also had an NG - terrible experience for me. 

I've heard of some people having no trouble at all... no idea what makes it so drastically different from one person to the next. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)

I had an NG tube once and I swallowed it right down no problem other than it rubs your nose and throat and you can't wait to get rid of it.

Another time they had a heck of a time getting it down.  Gave me a nose bleed (I am on blood thinners) and that took a while to stop.  Hopefully I never get another blockage and need the NG tube.

After inserting the tube they take an Xray to see if the end was in the proper position in your stomach.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Bago

I had an NG tube once and I swallowed it right down no problem other than it rubs your nose and throat and you can't wait to get rid of it.

Did you have any gag reflex after it was in? I was literally gagging for several days anytime I would attempt to talk or do anything that involved moving my mouth. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I had to cough mine out as they pulled it out.. Was not easy with a trek tube in my throat and neck. :-(  YEs the gag reflex was fun also--But the look on my face to the nurses I believe was much worse..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Yes, I read what they do and the x-rays last night. . I had so many tubes in me, even inserted into my head.. scalp...... Just didn't know why they have to do this to us ostomates. 

You all went through the live insertions.. 

The stomach tube gave me lots of problems to take out tho.  It Wanted to stay put-had it for 4 months.. Pulled my rib cage out..  A tube for everything huh? I kept an eye open at all times after I woke up form my comma and was somewhat alert, didn't know what was coming next.  Lots of new surprises they have tucked away in those places. We are now pro's.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)

Posted by: VeganOstomy

Did you have any gag reflex after it was in? I was literally gagging for several days anytime I would attempt to talk or do anything that involved moving my mouth. 

Once the NG tube was in no gag reflex.  Just kinda gave me a sore throat and a sore nose when it was in.  

The real fun is when they pull it out and you get the stomach acid up in your nasal passage.  But that is better than keeping it in.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)
Topic starter  

I see that I touched a nerve. 

So many similar responses. 

All in agreement say YUK.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

YUK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I had a real horror story of an NG Tube.  It was put in way to far and zigzagged all the way up my esphaugus and around my stomah...never drained anything more  than some blood as the tube was too bent to work correctly.  It was painful and caused swelling and bruising in my throat and stomach.  They put a tube down my throat to have a look for further damage.  Right from the start I realized there was going to be a problem.   It was put  in our little hospital...the nurse thought she new what she was doing...obviously not!  Not one nurse lietened to my concern.  She put that sucker into my sinus  five times and caused bruising and a black eye...she gave me a nose bleed... I was also on blood thinners, and the  zigzazzing caused  me to be unable to swallow.  I continued to spit in kleenex and she way angry about that and took the kleenex box away.  It was like that for three days. My first NG was not a great expperience and has left me very fearful of having another one placed when I am awake.  I have refused them three times while awake and told the nurses my experience and they all understood.  I was actually advised to sue the living daylights out of that nurse but was more than happy knowing she had lost her job for failing to xray my chest and for brutally inserting the tube.  There was blood all over the NG Tube when they took it out to try and control the slow bleed in my stomach from where the tube had bent and also zzag'd into my stomach wall.  I was given the tube to take for evidence.  It took three weeks before all the pain in my throat and stomach and face went away.  I never allow an NG tube to be placed while I am awake since then.  I would have loved to have been there when she was fired. 

It was a nurse in ER in the bigger hospital where I was transfered to that noticed the tube was down way too far in the measurements they used.  He removed it right away and gave it too me in a sterile bag.  It was bent all the way up and he measured that it had been inserted more than 15 inches too much into my gullet!  He was my gaurdian angel and I told him so.  

Linda...YUK!  Never again when I am awake.  Broke all trust.

Linda

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I think having us cough it out or breath heavily thru your nose is just a distraction thing to keep you from puking it up.  I  hated my first tube but the rest were really good experiences and they always only put it in when I am asleep.  

I prefer they just do the deed and pull it quickly rather then get me to do some useless action. Eric...is there a reason they have us do something to supposedly help the tube out?

Just an update...I am back on Vit. B12 shots bimonthly,  and tests are being done to see where the malnutrtion is at.  I am a bit fearful of being malnourished again.  Not happy being so thin as last time it led to  a huge long hospital stay and my underwear falling off of me.

To anyone in Canada...if you are low income there is an Allowance for low income seniors...must be between 60 and 64 to apply then there is another form for after age 64.  If anyone has other information about what is out there low income seniors can apply for...please be kind and share.  I have no one to tell me these things.  Found this out by accident which is the way the Gov. seems to want it.  I applied and was approved.  PTL!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Bago

Once the NG tube was in no gag reflex.  Just kinda gave me a sore throat and a sore nose when it was in.  

I wish! It was like having a finger down my throat 24/7!! 

Linda, that would be a great idea for a new topic if you want to post that information. It would make it easier for people to find, rather than buried in an NG Tube thread =)

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Linda, The coughing may help mind over mater, but if u cough, it helps to loosen it if some what stuck and therefore a problem THEY must address. Also, if awake as I was, I could stop them from the pulling and let me rest.. Or tell them to shove it up their nose. I prefer to help myself out.. 

As someone said the acid they received through their nose, and mouth--of removal of the NG tube. I understand that acid attack when they pulled out my feeding tube out--

when it finally popped out, the acid ran all over my skin, that so horrible!! The burning of that acid I just screamed!! I had burn marks for weeks..  I cant even go to the nose and throat of such thin skin. and near blood viens.. of what some when through From reading these, I am a NO NO to NG tubes.. IT's like the nurses think "oh well, not me getting it-their problem" type of thing.. "doctors orders"  I wish I could have my 2 WONDERFUL nurses from infusion with me at all times!!!!!!!!!!! Because I have seen so much dirty pissy nurses in the E.R. in the big hospitals.. Most of them don't respect the patients. OR care..... cant wait to get to talk in the halls and make fun at us.. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

I think I had the most horrific NG tube horror story of them all. My doc was even surprised. 
ok, so I had total proctocolectomy and then removed my appendix at same time. He also stitch repaired a parastomal hernia behind my old temp stoma and took that old stoma down and made a new one on the other side. 
so my first time eating I got really sick. The dreaded ileus! So of course I get the NG tube. 2 days later my doc wants to take it out to see if I’m ok but he then left to a conference out of town but I had all of his team there to see me and the house doctor if need be. Well… I hit very, very sick to the point I thought I was dying. Vomiting green bile and all and it was night time and the house doc would not order an NG tube to be placed. I was literally begging for it!! The nurses were too! This cruddy house doc would not give in until I vomited do much bile that a deep  green river was next to my bed. I called in a priest and everything because i thought I was dying. I really think I would have. 
Anyhow as days go by they keep doing cat scans but the ileus still there so they decide I need to get a port for feeding me through my blood veins. So I had to be fed that way and as time went on I was really hurting from this NG tube and wishing I was dead. One doc at my hospital was using jpeg abdominal feeding tubes for ileus to let  the contents out that way instead of the NG tube. It was experimental. So instead of using the Jpeg to feed me we were using it to just let out the built out stuff into the bag. I had to have another surgery to get that inserted and the only drawback was even if my ileus subsided I would have to keep this thing for one month before they could remove it due to healing or something other.
I was  in because I was so sick of that NG tube in my nose.  It was great! So much easier! I was in the hospital for one month with that ileus and then they sent me home on my TPN feedings and the Jpeg etc.  the hospital delivered the feeding bags, IV pole all of that and even a small fridge for all my stuff. Before I left the hospital I was taught how yo administer my feedings myself and s home nurse came twice a week just to check on me. I also had to be in liquid erythromycin for the ileus for like a month after going home. It eventually subsided shortly after getting the tpn feeding port taken out. Then I still had the JPEG for any residual problems and I went back to work. Shortly after the jpeg was able to be removed and life slowly but surely went in as normal. It was an experience I will never forget. It can happen although usually not as serious as mine was and it’s no fun.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
tim
 tim
(@tim)

Oh geez, the NG tube!

Afetr surgery I was eating the hospital food, which was fine except the apple juice they gave us was soooo acidic! I was vomiting. Acidic juice on an empty stomach. I didn't realize it at the time though. So they decided I needed the NG tube. I'm not afraid to say, I was crying when they put it in. It felt like I was choking to death when it hit the back of my throat.

After having it in and emptying the results via their 'tube into the wall' system, it was removed. When I got my wits about me, I concluded it had to be because of the stupid acidic apple juice containers.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)

@tim yes it happens frequently with these surgeries. My doc said anytime they go inside messing with the intestines that they are very sensitive and tend to paralyze in which is why they call it paraletic ileus. Almost everyone on the floor was walking around the halls with their iv poles and NG tubes in their noses. I was on a strictly colorectal surgery floor.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote