Community Forums

Tobacco Warning Lab...

Tobacco Warning Labels: Offensive to Ostomates?  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

Thyra
 Thyra
(@Thyra)
24/07/2018 12:02 pm  

I was bracing myself to respond to you with your exact argument! Lol. So glad we’re not all jumping to being offended straight off. Of course I’d rather not have a bag but I also have no shame in having one either. I may be elegible for reversal (after having colon cancer at age 35 for no apparent diet/lifestyle reason) but if I can’t then I can’t. Smoking does come with consequences for some people and I think this is just being honest! Having an ostomy isn’t easy and could be avoided for people who have choices. For those that don’t have a choice it’s up to us not to be ashamed and continue showing it in a positive light inspite of these truthful pictures.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
24/07/2018 12:11 pm  

By survivor I mean any one having come through illness and an ostomy as a result.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Millie
 Millie
(@Millie)
24/07/2018 1:59 pm  

I feel no shame in having an ostomy, its not something I'd chose if I could just do it the normal way but here it is.. It's easy to care for and mostly worry free. If putting that image on a package keeps someone from having radiation, chemo, 10 hour surgery, heart attack, major infection, bladder issues etc etc, I'm all for it. Whatever they put on the package is not a reflection on me and my choices. I'd rather show them this image than show them how to handle the ostomy.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
26/07/2018 1:02 pm  

WOW this is quit a discussion even sounds a little heated at times but difference of opinion is what makes the world go round . The adds we are talking about don't really bother me like Eric says if you don't smoke you probably won't even see them . After all there have been warnings on the packs forever far as I know .  But I don't agree with the idea they are putting out there that if you smoke you will end up with cancer or a bag . Yes I agree smoking can increase your chances of getting different illnesses but it doesn't guarantee you will get anything either . Although I do not encourage anyone to smoke . Some people smoke and live to be 100 while others die young . I myself smoked 30+ years and quit 11 years ago . One of the best things I ever did ! I know have asthma and COPD caused by smoking ? Probably but nobody's fault but my own . I do not believe that smoking is what caused me to end up with UC and an ostomy . My doctors even told me that they really have no idea what actually causes anyone to get UC not diet or drinking or smoking or whatever . I'm just lucky I guess . Ha . I do not advertise the fact that I have an ostomy but if someone was to ask I would gladly give them any info I can .

Now the smoking type adds that are being put on TV at least here in the USA that do bother me are the ones where they encourage kids to smoke a Vape !! With a lot of different flavors like chocolate etc. they are trying to entice kids to start smoking !  I think these are the adds that should be removed and not promoted ! Are these kind of adds being shown anywhere else like Canada or the UK ?

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
26/07/2018 2:37 pm  

Hi Robert, yep its a debate that carries a lot of emotion, on the plus side it shows that ostomates on here can air their views in a civil manner and have a common good in mind. I quit the evil weed 2 years ago and now vape. for me its a road to being habit free!! the vape packs here carry a health warning but no graphic image of any sort. but now their are calls for shocking photos to be on fizzy drinks and fast food and sweets, so this type of image could be ending up on more than on a fag packet.

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
26/07/2018 2:50 pm  
Posted by: Robert

But I don't agree with the idea they are putting out there that if you smoke you will end up with cancer or a bag . Yes I agree smoking can increase your chances of getting different illnesses but it doesn't guarantee you will get anything either .

From what I've seen (there are several dozen package warnings), they are all based on the current science regarding the health risks of smoking. 

That's not to say that everyone will be affected (i.e. I'll never become pregnant, so warnings about harm to fetal development doesn't apply to men), but they do show the risks that smoking carries - and smoking is one of the biggest risk factors for most of our lifestyle-related illnesses.

Look at it like this: A high-voltage electrical box will have a warning that says, "DO NOT TOUCH! Will cause death or severe injury". That doesn't mean that everyone who becomes electrocuted will die or suffer severe injury,  but enough people are harmed and the risks of death or injury are high if you decide to touch live wires - so the warnings should still apply. 

Now the smoking type adds that are being put on TV at least here in the USA that do bother me are the ones where they encourage kids to smoke a Vape !! With a lot of different flavors like chocolate etc. they are trying to entice kids to start smoking !  I think these are the adds that should be removed and not promoted ! Are these kind of adds being shown anywhere else like Canada or the UK ?

Wow. Are these actual ads, like on regular TV?? As far as I know, promoting vape products to kids is illegal, but the laws may not have caught up to the advertisers yet! I don't have cable TV, and try to avoid regular ads anywhere I go, but some for alcohol and gambling still come through (never seen one specifically for vape or tobacco). 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
26/07/2018 2:59 pm  

Robert, I agree with you-- Those vapors things !!  They are getting fluid in their lungs also!! Seems to be a no win war of people damaging themselves!! And I agree with you I did not get U.C. from smoking--that part makes me mad s hell...… although,, I have not been told this and they better not!!!!  Yup, I got the copd. it is mild.  Problem with copd, is how it advances.  no one knows how fast or how slow.. .. but I and we know why we got it..   My problem, and my fight.  

As far as those vapors thing go- they are cutting the sales here in Ct.  They used to be all over the place.. but now, very slim finding..  Like selling of guns in ct. is slimmer now. Some you cant just buy anymore.. Just some guns for personal protection. And there is a waiting list for that..

So, I guess this generation has it----------"vapors"...………. smoke the vapors.  And as always some will over do it and ????  I am sure it is a relaxing thing to do, if you just do this in that manner. Enjoy want you need to do.. stay away from the nicitone. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
26/07/2018 4:04 pm  

Hey there John . Is the heat wave over for ye yet ? Good for you Lad on quitting the evil weed . I quit many times myself haha I know its not easy . Yes it is good we can all speak our piece here without upsetting anyone . I agree with ye the warnings are on all kinds of products I think it is also a way for companies to protect themselves . If the Vape helps keep you from smoking then good for you . Like I said 11 years for me but sometimes do still get a craving . Seems like every time there is a study on something they find something wrong with it . Hope they don't do a study on Beer !!!!!! Lol

Hey there Eric . Hope you are feeling better . That's funny about the not getting pregnant don't think I have to worry about that one either but I do understand what you mean . And believe me I am not saying smoking is good in any way . I don't even care for the smell anymore which is funny because when I smoked I never even noticed it . I like the scenario you gave about the High Voltage Electrical Box as I am a retired Electrician I can really relate to that after having been shocked many times myself luckily never hurt to bad though . But yes Eric hard to believe there is actually a commercial on TV here with 2 young girls sitting on a bed as Mom walks down the hall not realizing that they are talking about a chocolate flavor for the Vape one girl even says emm chocolate . That's only one commercial there's more . I have no problem with the Vape just don't think they should use kids to promote it .

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Sarah
 Sarah
(@Sarah)
29/07/2018 12:27 pm  

I disagree that it's meant to educate. You'd have to live under a rock to not know the dangers or smoking cigarettes. Graphic images are used to "arouse strong negative emotions". This is why I oppose using an ostomy in an anti-smoking campaign. My son has Hircshsprung's Disease and has an ostomy for reasons that have nothing to do with lifestyle choices. I do feel that to mount a campaign that provokes negative emotions around ostomies, is hurtful to my son and others like him.

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
joy
 joy
(@joy)
29/07/2018 2:13 pm  

Is the main cause of an ostomy from smoking? No. Why not use a lung cancer victim instead. Do they have to put a picture of a full pouch with a fat man's stomach? No. If the Government wants to deter people from smoking, stop taking lobby money/donations and taxes from tobacco companies. If the government did not get tax money from tobacco companies, perhaps they would let them go out of business.

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
29/07/2018 7:47 pm  

I'm a little late to the discussion but just got my weekly email with the link from @VeganOstomy.  I am a non-smoker and for many reasons, supportive of the anti-tobacco "shock value" as an effective ad campaign.  I understand it.  Even though there is no directly offensive wording (this is debatable) regarding ostomies, it was used for shock value - I believe that is exactly the intention with this ad. It hurt to have such a painful struggle in my life used for that shock value. I realize Eric's quote "Are we hurt by how other people may perceive our ostomy or are we hurt by how we feel about living with an ostomy?" pertains to my reaction due to my own struggle with self image as an ostomate.  There is a healthy process of acceptance most of us must work through.  I agree with his point that our reactions needed to be contemplated.

Ostomies have a negative repulsion aspect that is too often used in media. I have seen it used on standard TV episodes to add that OMG gasp. It hurts every time.  None of us would choose this. It is always an end result of a serious life threatening health event or condition.   And along with it comes a good amount of adjustment, self reflection and priority evaluation.  So, I have to view this ad with empathy and from the view point of a newly diagnosed person or people who have just endured the trauma, pain and struggle of the surgery and those of us who are just trying to make the most of life and what it has given to us.  It is too deep to be used for shock value. 

48 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015. Joanne

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
30/07/2018 10:45 am  

Hi Joy,

These warning labels have a long history (several decades) and there are several dozen of them in rotation - they cover many smoking-related illnesses and tend to show the after-effects of developing cancer, lung disease, heart disease, oral disease, etc. These new label proposals cover another 39 health warnings, so the ostomy was just one of them.

Unfortunately, the health care costs attributed to smoking far outweigh any revenue the government receives - more than double from what I've read. The smoking public are the ones who need to decide to end the industry, and these warning labels (which are of very little cost to implement) has been helping them to quit.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
30/07/2018 10:58 am  

Hi Sara,

I would disagree that most people are aware of the dangers of smoking, and studies have shown that adolescences knowledge of tobacco-related risk varies greatly: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27107909

The same lack of knowledge is seen across diet/food choices too.

The warnings on cigarette packages are designed to target young smokers, so arousing "strong negative emotions" has been shown to be the most effective way of doing that.

But I disagree that the negative emotions are targeting ostomies - they are targetting smoking (the action) and cancer (the result). The ostomy is there to show what colorectal cancer entails. I don't think most people have a clue what life with cancer is like. This is an opportunity to show it.

ReplyQuote
madrikh52
(@madrikh52)
Registered
30/07/2018 12:51 pm  

Like Jattzl, I found the ad offensive but after reading Eric's opinion, didn't have to look far to figure out why. I have had my colostomy for over 5 years and am still struggling to accept it. I have not had a easy time of it, so I know that's part of it. I also, like many others, have ongoing physical (and emotional) effects of cancer and cancer treatment to deal with on a daily basis. It doesn't help that I have gotten a very negative response from someone-whom I thought was a "safe" person to share my story with; she responded with disgust and that response has stayed with me. Anyway, I still find the ad offensive but I also know that I cannot look at it objectively.

ReplyQuote
Sarah
 Sarah
(@Sarah)
30/07/2018 10:06 pm  

Perhaps that was an American survey? In Canada, as far back as 20 years ago, kids knew of the risks, and awareness has only been increasing over the years. "Statistics Canada’s 1996/97 National Population Health Survey found that 96% of Canadians older than 12 are aware of smoking-related health risks. Younger people are more likely to know about the risks — 98% of those aged 20-24 knew of them, versus 93% of those aged 75 or older." http://www.cmaj.ca/content/cmaj/162/2/250.1.full.pdf

I disagree with you that the photo of the ostomy is not targeting ostomies. It's not targeting yellow teeth. An ostomy is not the flagship of cancer, as there are many people with ostomies, such as my son, who should not be held accountable for the choices of smokers, simply because he has an ostomy (unrelated to smoking). He is a young teen, who will have to navigate the waters of bullying without any added stigma from a photo campaign that portrays ostomies in a negative light.

The photo of the ostomy is meant to arouse strong negative emotions, which will be associated with all ostomies. It's not likely people will develop different views of ostomies for people with cancer than for those without. The negative association with ostomies will apply to the community in general.

madrikh52 and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
31/07/2018 2:11 pm  

While I support any campaign to show the effects of smoking, it does not excuse using an ostomy bag for shock effect. I took a search online to see if any country in Europe had done or planned to do the same. I am glad to say I found none but did come across a case here in the uk where a terminally ill cancer patient was pictured in his hospital bed and this was used on a similar ad to warn and shock. the horrible reality was the family was not asked permission and did not know until the pictures where made public. even then the people responsible tried to deny it was the families loved one!! While the reasons behind these ads may be good very little thought is going into the unnecessary hurt caused by using an ostomy bag which we use to live a normal life. I am not ashamed of my bag and am not even bothered if it is visible when at the beach but cannot accept my illness used this way. the above post also shows the hurt caused to family members as well.

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marann
(@marann)
Registered
31/07/2018 2:56 pm  

good heavens!  First, there are several things that can lead to a tracheotomy and subsequent tracheostomy, INCLUDING SMOKING.  I think a visual is an excellent way to demonstrate some  of the things that  can happen if you are a smoker...you can also end up with a glossectomy, partial glossectomy.  There are so many ramifications.....I know, I worked with these patients.  They are more the norm than you want to believe.  There is nothing better than visual aids to make your point.  If they bother you, close your eyes.  

I wish people would proof-read their posts  for spelling and grammar, there’s no excuse for mistakes and it gets in the way of the message.  

Martha M. Matisa.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
01/08/2018 11:49 am  
Posted by: Sarah

Perhaps that was an American survey? In Canada, as far back as 20 years ago, kids knew of the risks, and awareness has only been increasing over the years. "Statistics Canada’s 1996/97 National Population Health Survey found that 96% of Canadians older than 12 are aware of smoking-related health risks. Younger people are more likely to know about the risks — 98% of those aged 20-24 knew of them, versus 93% of those aged 75 or older." http://www.cmaj.ca/content/cmaj/162/2/250.1.full.pdf

Hi Sarah, 

I apologize for the delayed reply. I really wanted to put together some information before I followed up.

The stats you are referring to are from 1996 - a time when Canada's population of immigrants was quite low. This is important to note because the risks of smoking are less known to people born outside of the country and anti-smoking campaigns were more visible back then (i.e. posters in doctor's offices). 

A more recent (2002), comprehensive study found a great lack of knowledge across different countries, including Canadians ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2593062/).

One example: "Over 20% and 40% did not believe smoking causes stroke and impotence, respectively." 

They also have misconceptions about nicotine: 

"A sizeable minority in all countries (ranging from 41% in Canada to 49% in the UK) believed that nicotine causes most of the cancer. "

I disagree with you that the photo of the ostomy is not targeting ostomies. It's not targeting yellow teeth. An ostomy is not the flagship of cancer, as there are many people with ostomies...

I may not have explained myself very well.

When I mean "they aren't targeting ostomies"  I mean what they are trying to prevent is cancer in smokers. The ostomy is being shown as a result of cancer (the most common surgery for someone with colorectal cancer), so that someone is made aware of what cancer might entail. 

It would be the same as if they put a photo of pill bottles or hospital bills (associated with having cancer), because it helps people to visualize what life with cancer might be like (most people who have never experienced cancer in their life have no idea what it's like).

The negative association with ostomies will apply to the community in general.

Perhaps that's where we differ in our perspective. I don't see the warning label or photo as a negative towards ostomies - I simply see it as a realistic look at life. It gives context to the label.

Posted by: john68

...but did come across a case here in the uk where a terminally ill cancer patient was pictured in his hospital bed and this was used on a similar ad to warn and shock. the horrible reality was the family was not asked permission and did not know until the pictures where made public. 

That's terrible. I would imagine the person responsible for using the photo without permission was reprimanded.

On a side note, here's what the labels look like in the UK (warning: they are very graphic): 

United Kingdom

Posted by: Marann

There are so many ramifications.....I know, I worked with these patients.  They are more the norm than you want to believe.  There is nothing better than visual aids to make your point. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also believe (and research confirms) that visual has far more impact vs. text-only warnings. 

ReplyQuote
joy
 joy
(@joy)
06/08/2018 11:18 am  

Perhaps in Canada, and socialist countries where people expect to live off the government, aka working people. Any individualist would be smart enough to quit on their own. If people are going to pay 10 bucks for a pack of cigs, the picture is not going to help them. If you eat too much processed food, it could do the same to your health as cigs. You going to put pictures on processed food too?

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
08/08/2018 3:34 pm  

Joy I agree with you if people are gonna pay $10 a pack they probably aren't gonna pay any attention to a warning no matter what it is . I also agree that processed food is not good either and yes where are the warning pictures on that ? I think the commercials I see on TV about quitting smoking where someone has a hole in their throat is more effective of a warning to quit smoking than some body with a bag hanging off their belly .

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register