Notifications
Clear all

This seems odd  

RSS

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 11, 2020 2:16 am  

I have my second opinion appointments next week. The GI is wanting me to do a colonoscopy/ileoscopy the day before the consultation. His nurse called me yesterday to go over the prep instructions. He told me I have to do an enema that morning, 2 hours before the procedure and go to clear liquids at midnight the day of procedure and nothing 2 hours before. 

I confirmed with him a couple times, that it was midnight the day of the procedure. When he asked if I had any questions, I told him there was no way if I ate anything the evening before, that my stoma would be cleared out. He said he thought the same thing and suggested that I switch to clear liquids at 4pm the day before instead. 

Last year when I had the same thing done with my regular GI, I had to do the enema that morning, but also had to stop eating in the evening two days prior to the procedure and the day before, I had to drink the nasty prep stuff. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled to not have to drink the nasty prep drink, but doesn’t it seem odd to have so little time without eating before an ileostomy?

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 11, 2020 6:04 am  

Don't worry girl it will be him not you getting a face fully if he's wrong 😂

More seriously I have quite often been suprised that they seem shall I say slightly remote on how different peoples bodies might function until afterwards when they then usually say "well everyone's different"

Good you spoke up

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 13, 2020 9:46 am  

I really wish the instructions for ostomates were clear. It seems like every GI will tell their patient something different! LOL 

What time if your scope at? 

Typically speaking, the "transit time" for an ileostomy is pretty quick (less than 12 hours), so it's possible that depending on the time of your scope, you'd be cleared out if you stopped eating the night before, but 2 hours before doesn't seem like a lot of time. 

ReplyQuote