Notifications
Clear all

Sutures

4 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@jamadich)
Topic starter  

Hi all, I recently had a a colectomy/end ileostomy formed. Recovery has gone well, except for those sutures! They used absorbable sutures, but some had still remained 5 weeks out, and they started to cause granulomas and a minor site infection. My WOCRN tried to remove what was left and used silver nitrate, but small parts keep surfacing/causing pain. Has anyone else experienced this? Were they treated any differently? Thank you!

LK reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, @jamadich!

I don't remember what my suture experience was like, but I did have an abdominal wound open up, which wasn't a fun experience.

Posted by: @jamadich

My WOCRN tried to remove what was left and used silver nitrate, but small parts keep surfacing/causing pain.

Are you saying that you still have suture left that your nurse could not remove? If so, I'd give your surgeon a call to see what the next best steps are. You may be told to just wait it out, unfortunately.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

GoatHerder and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jamadich)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy, thanks! Since the sutures have partially dissolved, there are some cases where they can’t seem to get at the remaining material deeper in which is causing some granulomas to remain. I should have clarified that it concerns the sutures around the periostomal skin only.

GoatHerder and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hello & welcome to VO!

What brings us together is never fun but please know you can ask anything here & its Never considered a dumb question! When suggestions are given for what worked for us, you can try any of them & see if one or all works for you. Your experiences may help someone else.Don't be a stranger & if your up to it share your story here too. I hope you heal well!!  All the best! 

Linda

ReplyQuote