Community Forums

Skin care: Barrier ...

Notifications
Clear all

Skin care: Barrier wipes and stoma powder - What do you use?

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Topic starter  

When I first learned to care for my ostomy, I was taught to use barrier wipes with stoma powder to protect the skin around the stoma. I was taught how to 'crust' the damaged areas of skin to protect it. Granted my skin was hella mad at being subjected to the appliance and its changes, and was very damaged and irritated for many weeks. Once the skin accepted its situation, it healed and I have not had any more issues since mid December.

However, I have continued to use the barrier wipes and stoma powder each change. I am wondering if I can, or even should, discontinue those steps unless there is damage to the skin? Do any of you use barrier wipes and/or stoma powders? If not, what do you do different? Any other tips or tricks to keeping your skin healthy? 

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I used to do the same thing. Powder everywhere, dust off excess, and then use the skin prep. I started having a lot of leaks etc. Then I read where maybe its best not to always use those products when your skin is in good shape as they don't really help the wafer to stick ( they protect the skin, I think?).

I now use the stoma powder only around the base of my stoma to kind of absorb moisture there ( I do still 'dust off' the excess). I no longer use the skin prep.

I wash my skin too when I shower & change my appliance ( every 4 days). Use soap that does not have oils or moisturizers ...my dermatologist recommended Purpose brand ( not Vegan though ). Amazon has it, it cleans but leave no residue.

I also remove all the 'glue' thats left from the previous wafer/ring. This can take awhile. I have a scrub cloth that works well for this, kind of a soft plastic thing.

Good luck! As we all know its really important to keep your skin healthy. And everyone's skin is different.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

My thoughts :

If you're not having problems, then stick to whatever you've been doing. That said, it be unnecessary to use extra supplies. 

I use stoma powder when I notice some rawness around my stoma, but I only do it to stop the weeping (maybe 10-15 minutes) then I wipe it off. 

On occasions were I do leave it on, I'll apply a barrier wipe over it, but I tend to prefer barrier rings to heal the skin over several days. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Kae
 Kae
(@kae)
Topic starter  

Maybe next change I will try it without the wipes and stoma powder. I've just been afraid of not using it and having horrid raw skin next change. Hopin' it'll work!

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote