Notifications
Clear all

Occasional stools from rectum after years of having an ileostomy  

RSS

Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
September 4, 2020 12:11 am  

Okay this is a weird one and I can't find anything online.  I've had a loop ileostomy for years.  Mucus has always been a problem and I need to use enemas.  I also have a parastomal hernia. But there have been about 5-6 occasions where I will actually pass stool after the enema  I know it is not a mucus plug.  Everything I read always says it is mucus but this is different. It is definitely stool. I am baffled and worried and can't figure out how this is even possible.  I hope someone an help. 

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 4, 2020 2:11 pm  
Posted by: @jattzl

loop ileostomy

That's your answer right there. No need to worry, even if it is puzzling!

"You may have stool come out from the anus. This is normal. The second opening in the
loop ileostomy can carry some of the stool from inside the ileostomy pouch down
through the lower intestine and into the pouch and you may feel like you need to
have a bowel movement."

U of Wisconsin

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
September 8, 2020 3:29 pm  
Posted by: @veganostomy

You may have stool come out from the anus. This is normal.

@veganostomy Oh. My. Gosh.  Thank you.  I have been so stressed, worried and baffled by this.  I researched every site of know of and all of them mentioned mucus but not stool!  

Again you and this site has literally been my #1 coping tool since my ostomy in 2015.  It has saved my mentally, physically and emotionally as it is an aspect of my life that I don't share with others.  It can be a very lonely and scary place.  Thank you is not enough to express my gratitude. 

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 8, 2020 3:49 pm  

@jattzl It's my pleasure! Glad I could help =)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote