Community Forums

Lying on the tummy ...

Notifications
Clear all

Lying on the tummy for a massage - tips on how to do this?  

RSS

Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 10, 2020 3:36 pm  

Hello

Hoping that one day I will be able to get a massage, and thinking that day might be coming closer, I am wondering how I will lay upon my front, on my friendly little stoma, for maybe 30 minutes or so . . . and relax?

I wondered about making a large doughnut with a towel and resting on that. But I am sure others will have tried and tested ways to be comfortable and have a back massage.

Please share.

Best wishes and thanks.

GeoRupp
(@georupp)
Registered
July 10, 2020 4:20 pm  

Hi Mimi. I know I am new to the site but maybe on of those inflatable donuts will work. They probably come in different sizes.

VeganOstomy and Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 11, 2020 5:30 am  

Mimi

A good massage therapist practise might have some anatomical block, bolsters and wedges made of firm foam of different shape, sizes and thicknesses so they should be able to arrange something. search massage support cushions to see what I mean. example below

Affinity Body & Pregnancy Massage Bolster Cushions

ReplyQuote
Smended
(@smended)
Registered
July 11, 2020 3:23 pm  

I have had many massages with no different accommodations for my stoma and it has been fine. 

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 11, 2020 3:48 pm  

I’ve thought about that too, Mimi, and agree it would be a challenge. But I agree with Chris - if you explained the situation when you called to schedule the appointment, I’m sure they could make the necessary arrangements so you could lie face down without squishing your little friend. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
July 13, 2020 1:49 pm  

so mimi, what currently happens when you lay on your stomach for any period of time?  seems we tend to roll around at night in our sleep more than we assume we know.

stomas tend to be very tough and not effected by being squished.

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 13, 2020 2:45 pm  

@dogtalkerer

Well, I haven't yet laid down on my front . . . I am currently sleeping supported by a wedge pillow due to shoulder and back pain, so I am sleeping just on my back. I am experiencing some pain and hardening under the skin around the stoma, so am fairly uncomfortable with it. Yes, I think I am nervous of harming the little thing . . . and perhaps when the pain goes (or when I've taken another dose of morphine) I could just take the leap . . . and lie down on my front - and see what happens.

Best wishes and thanks.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 13, 2020 3:56 pm  

Hi Mimi, Stoma s are pretty tough . Ok none of us want an impact or sharp blow!! But gentle pressure like lying on our tummy won’t do any harm. At the start with stitches etc every normal activity feels threatening . 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 14, 2020 7:41 am  

@mimi

" I am experiencing some pain and hardening under the skin around the stoma, "

Have you had it checked those symptom out for either a hernia or a loop might be the early signs of one or the other. I could be wrong bit I think its worth asking as they can be quite common, I know you've been asking about suport belts. however I think things should be settling down my now Mimi. Am I right your about 8 to 12 weeks post OP

Chris

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
July 14, 2020 8:35 am  

@mimi

Forcing things and certainly taking pain meds to lie on your belly is entirely unnecessary. I went back to my massage therapist a few weeks after I was discharged from the hospital so still very sick and very fresh from surgery. Definitely not lying prone. She did a full body Swedish style message with hot stones and positioned me on my side when working on my back. It was amazing as after lying in the hospital bed for 5 weeks my body was a mess. Most good therapists have all sorts of pillows and pads to make you comfortable. They also work on pregnant women who cannot lie prone. They will (or should) chat with you for a few minutes prior to the session to ask about any new issues and I used the opportunity to tell her all about it! She encouraged me to wear as much or as little as possible to be comfortable (in case you’re wondering, I still go necked except for the bag). She also helped me roll when I needed to as I was still too weak at that point to really move comfortably on my own. Don’t deprive yourself of what is truly a therapeutic experience because of the stoma. I’m missing massage during this pandemic. It’s an important part of staying fit and healthy for me. Let me know if you have any questions about the process. 

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 14, 2020 10:13 am  
Posted by: @john68

Stoma s are pretty tough

That's good to know. I think perhaps because I am still feeling a bit sore, I am also being protective of the stoma . . . I don't know if this is common, but I do have emotional feelings for her and want to look after her as best I can. (I talk to her as well - the slippery slope!)

Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Have you had it checked those symptom out for either a hernia or a loop might be the early signs of one or the other

The surgeon had a quick and painful prod and wasn't concerned. I've mentioned it to my GP today, and will see if the pain improves or not. If not, then the GP will have a look. What he also said was that there is a lot of cancer in there and this could be causing pain as well. By the way - what is a 'loop'?

Posted by: @jtvt

Don’t deprive yourself of what is truly a therapeutic experience because of the stoma.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I am so glad that you were able to enjoy massages pre-Covid. I hadn't even thought of lying on my side for a massage, which could be an option if my tummy is sore. I am hoping that massage therapists will start operating again soon near me - as I am absolutely desperate for a good rub down.

Many thanks and best wishes to all.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 14, 2020 12:24 pm  

Hi Mimi, I talk to my Stoma (Sammy) as well, I think it’s natural. But I think you should know that I have been described as”one sandwich short of a picnic “😂

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 14, 2020 1:01 pm  

I have been described as”one sandwich short of a picnic

That makes me feel so much better . . . I'm in good company then!

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 14, 2020 1:32 pm  

Hi Mimi. I am protective of my Squeaky and talk to him as well. Sometimes I scold him if he doesn’t behave during a change. 😂

After my surgery, I had a wound pump for several months and I had a home health nurse who would come 3 times a week to change the wound dressing and she would change the ostomy too. One time Squeaky was particularly naughty and she called him a name and it made me very defensive. That was the first time I really felt that connection to him.  Now he has his own personality and I talk to him all the time.  😂😂

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
July 14, 2020 3:43 pm  

@mimi

When I first came home from the hospital - about a week or so - a friend of mine who does massage came to my home and had me use the chair that she uses for pregnant women. You can see by the picture below how it would work. Maybe this is what your massage therapist uses.

Stella

Pregnancy Chair - Facingwalls

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 15, 2020 5:10 am  

Hi Mimi, I talk to my Stoma (Sammy) as well, I think it’s natural. But I think you should know that I have been described as”one sandwich short of a picnic “😂

Ahh John its confirmed then. I think my stoma is a carpet bag that lives in shop window that turns into a magical cat - What does that make me 😂

john68 and Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
July 15, 2020 5:20 am  

Mimi

I little story a long while ago I work with an Aussie that was walkabout in UK for  year. He told me of his travels through India in VW beetle than broke down all over the place. One day a Buddhist monk offered to bless it for 50 Pence after that it never broke down again.

Ever since then I name all my cars and other things, I look for the personally they have etc. and then the name comes to me. I feel it works for me, so girl go for it.

My stoma nurse says I always makes her laugh and she loves getting emails from me as it often brightens her day. That's what Bagpus does for me and when Bagpus makes very loud noise I always exclaim "Bagpus" good for a laugh

john68 and Mimi liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
July 16, 2020 3:28 am  
Posted by: @squeakyandliza

One time Squeaky was particularly naughty and she called him a name and it made me very defensive. That was the first time I really felt that connection to him.

Love it! This really brought a smile to my face.

I admit I'm not happy when someone uses the wrong pronoun for my stoma - if they say 'it' instead of 'her'.

Good to know I'm in such great company.

Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 16, 2020 8:20 am  

@mimi

Mimi, 

I really like my stoma nurse, but she always calls Squeaky “she” and “her”. Maybe most people have their stoma be the same gender as they are, but the way I see it, Squeaky came into my life and turned everything upside down, but I can’t live without him, so of course he is a male. 🤣🤣🤣

Mimi liked
ReplyQuote