Community Forums

It's finally happen...

It's finally happened! I now have an ileostomy! And a question.  

RSS

mouse
(@mouse)
Registered
July 24, 2019 2:52 pm  

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from around this time last year. I posted in introductions. I'm happy to say that this time, my surgery went ahead, and I now have a loop ileostomy. I'm feeling better already. I also have had quite major pelvic region surgery in the same operation. I have Crohn's disease.

I'm about 3 and a half weeks out of surgery now. I'm very glad to be home from the hospital.

Here in the UK it's boiling (for our houses, which are designed to generally keep heat in, and air con is very rare). I also have an awful issue with temperature regulation and excessive sweating... It might be medication induced but I'm on a lot of meds. GP is stumped but it's been going on for a few years now...

Anyway, a question about my ileostomy:

even when my output is pretty thick in consistency, I'm still having liquid output at the same time. I've only noticed it when changing my bag, but my stoma nurse who visited me at home today mentioned it too. I'm just not sure what it means / is? Can anyone enlighten me? :)

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 24, 2019 7:39 pm  

Hi Mouse, I do remember you and its good to hear from you again. Happy to hear the the surgery went well and you are home recovering.

I am not sure I know quite what you mean by liquid and solid output at the same time.? Mine often varies through the day, sometimes quite liquid. Seems to happen when I don't eat enough food. If I just drink lots of liquids, like you have to do if you are living without a colon, and don't also eat some solid food it gets fluid pretty quickly. Try to balance solids with liquids.

This, of course is just a guess and I hope that others here will have better advise and information.

Keep recovering. Hope it cools off there soon too.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 25, 2019 1:35 am  

Hi Mouse,

I'm not sure if this is what is happening to you or not, but I have a stoma with the opening to the side, rather than straight out. On the other side is another small opening, called a mucus fistula. I'm not exactly sure of the reason the dr put it there, but it sometimes has output as well, and sometimes the output from there is more liquid than from the main opening. I don't know what happens regularly, just what I see when I do a change. 🙂

Like I said, I have no idea if this is similar to what you are seeing, but probably someone here with more experience than me will know exactly what you are experiencing.  Good Luck Mouse!!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 25, 2019 5:59 am  

Hi Mouse, Good to hear you have got their. Not sure what may be the answer. Only can give my own experience, Again my output can vary depending on types of food juices and amounts. Was the nurse concerned about it. You sound in good form 😃 the very best wishes for going forward 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 25, 2019 11:08 am  
Mouse! I certainly remember you! I'm glad you're feeling better after surgery! Congratulations!
Posted by: @mouse

I'm still having liquid output at the same time. I've only noticed it when changing my bag, but my stoma nurse who visited me at home today mentioned it too.

To be honest, in the first little while (i.e. few months), your output may be inconsistent. 

I sometimes get liquid in the bag along with thicker stool, but that depends on what I'm eating/drinking that day. 

But one thing to keep an eye out on is when you have unexpected liquid output followed by either no thick output or a rush of thick output - this could indicate a partial blockage (your body tries to flush out the obstruction). If things are passing smoothly and it's more of an annoyance, then I would probably say not to worry about it. You can use a gelling product if the liquid portion is difficult to manage, but things may very well settle as you continue to recover. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register