Notifications
Clear all

Having back surgery with an ostomy  

RSS

Gurwinder Singh
(@singh-gurwinder2)
Registered
June 20, 2020 10:33 pm  

Hi guys, as the title says, I need back surgery to fix 3 herniated lumbar discs. Its been causing severe sciatica for the past couple of years. My only thing is, can I lay flat on my back for the surgery? does anyone have any experience with that?

LK liked
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 21, 2020 6:48 am  

Gurwinder Singh...hello....I'm sorry to hear you need back surgery, but at the same time, I know back pain is horrid to deal with. I wish you all the best in your recovery afterwards and Gods peace going into it. I know several who have had that surgery and they have all healed well from it. Follow Doctors and Physio  orders as soon as you can afterwards it really does help in the healing process. When I nursed, we used to tell patients recovering from surgery, "use it or loose it".

I sleep flat on my back almost all night thru. If you have concerns about this, try it at home a night or two and see what happens. Also make sure if you have even the slightest concerns about this and leaks, that you please tell the doctors and nurses in the Operating Theater and bring extra supplies with you just incase they need to change your pouch while your sleeping. Make sure you tell the nurses in admitting, and pre-op you have supplies also. Everyone you meet needs to know as they may need to go in a special sterile bag until used. 

So, when is your surgery, do you have a date yet? All the best and do keep  us in the loop as to how you are doing. 

ReplyQuote
Gurwinder Singh
(@singh-gurwinder2)
Registered
June 21, 2020 11:09 am  

Hi Linda! thanks for the great reply. I don't have date yet, but it will be soon. I was supposed to have the surgery last year, but since I had an ostomy I couldn't lay on my stomach for the surgery. I hope this time it won't be an issue. I will definitely carry some supplies with me when I go in. I don't think the surgery should take too long, but we always need to be prepared for anything.  

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
June 21, 2020 2:14 pm  

Hi Gurwinder,

My nephew just had surgery last week for the same thing... they went in from the front I think ... be sure to ask. your doctors.

He is recovering and is supposed to get up fairly often and move around.

I will ask him about the surgery and see if he has any helpful info. He doesn't have as ostomy... thats all MINE! ha!

Be well.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 22, 2020 3:16 pm  
Posted by: @singh-gurwinder2

My only thing is, can I lay flat on my back for the surgery?

This should not be a problem, but I would let your healthcare team know about your ostomy well in advance in case any other preparations need to be made for you - I always advise that patients bring extra supplies for their hospital stay as most hospitals will not have available supplies to hand out. 

Good luck with your surgery! 

ReplyQuote