Community Forums

Eczema  

RSS

Donna2138
(@donna2138)
Registered
July 9, 2018 6:34 am  

I have Eczema and having Ostomy surgery this Friday the 13th. I was wondering if they make supplies for sensitive skin? 

Donna Lynch

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
July 9, 2018 8:16 am  

Hi Donna, I can offer one bit of advice an the back of my own experience, some wipes and pastes contain alcohol so I avoid, the basic kit you will need will be the wafer and bag and the rest of the products are their to combat a problem and use as required and not use because you think you should be doing so. I am adding this in as when you are researching so many product will be coming aware to you. Make it known to your stoma nurse of your skin issue when choosing an appliance. And all the very best for Friday, please keep us posted on progress.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

BetterBowels, Donna2138, Dona and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 9, 2018 10:01 am  

John gives some great advance. 

You should be able to find products that work for you, and I would encourage you to work with your stoma nurse (and maybe even your dermatologist) to make sure that what you're using won't create problems for you.

As John pointed out, "less is more" when it comes to ostomy supplies and I would also suggest using as few supplies as possible.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Donna2138, Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
July 9, 2018 10:31 am  

Hi Donna,

I have no advice to give about your eczema  but saw that your surgery is this Friday. Just wanted you to know that I will say a prayer for you. Like you, I also joined this website before my surgery and got a great deal of support and advice as well as info. You've taken steps in the right direction, and I suspect you will be fine in your new lifestyle as an ostomate. Just remember not to get too discouraged - attitude is half the battle. There is a lot to learn and experience at first (as a newbie I still am!) but your ostomy nurse will guide and support you and help you to learn what works, what doesn't, and what system is right for you. 

God bless,

Stella

Donna2138, Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
July 9, 2018 5:50 pm  

Donna,

I wish you well this Friday. Hopefully things can and will improve. You seem headed in the right direction and it is great that you found Eric's site before your surgery! What a help that can and will be.

Best wishes.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 9, 2018 6:48 pm  

Hi Donna. Best wishes for Friday! I too have "eczema" badly and was terribly concerned about my skin and having to wear a pouch. I found that the coloplast bags were too sticky and they being a softer fabric in the wafer and edges, annoyed the life out of me as it seemed to move all the time. I think that it was just so much more flexible and thicker to me than I realized it would be, it did annoy my skin to a greater degree. When I tried the original Hollister bags again, I really liked the feel of the wafer on my skin and as it warmed it was not annoying to me at all. With the adhesive wipe removers, they did not irritate or sting when I needed to use them over  irritated skin. Just be careful when you are moving the bag off of your skin. Be as gentle as possible. Go slow. Watching a video of Erics the other day I learned something new...there is a adhesive remover "spray". This would make it so you do not have to rub the skin so much with a cloth. I have just ordered a bottle and it is covered for me. (Canada, British Columbia.) Sometimes my skin will adhere to the wafer and literally tear the skin away so beware that can happen and really just take your time when you change the bag. Use a small mirror to see the underside of your stoma and skin every time you change your bag. My tummy does not mind that wafer at all. My skin is good under it. Let your skin air out when you change the bag and baby it a little. If skin gets dry around the edges, I use some eczema cream on those areas. I also use the skin barrier wipes all the time and also ordered the spray for that too, these do not irritate my skin but for sure protects it. You can expect to get a rash or a bit of a burn from the acid in output here and there when you have trouble with leaks, so be very aware of when you need to change your bag. Trust your nose or your dog. Dry your skin thoroughly before putting on a new bag I even dry my stoma for the best stick possible just before putting a bag on. Fan the skin.  If you sense an odor, then act on it. I have changed my bag up to 11 times in 24 hours due to a leak and a rash.  I find heat outside affects the way my bag adheres to me and seem a bit more sensitive at those times. Stoms powder is great for a damp sore. Check if you have a limit to supplies. Ask your pharmacist to check out products you would like to order and see if they are covered before ordering them in. They do not like to nor can they take them back.Three words...samples, samples, samples. Talk to the company when you can also, they can help you choose a product or introduce you to a new one. I also can use stoma powder without any problems. To me it seems a bit course, so do not rub it off unless you have a soft cloth, I blow it off  extra powder, if your stoma is in a bit of an awkward distance, have a straw handy for that, you can direct it better to blow off the excess powder, but it is a good product still allowing the bag to stick. I use barrier tapes to give extra security and help contain a leak from my clothes, they come C shaped, takes two for one bag.  I buy bar towels from the $ store and cut them in two inch pieces for cleaning and washing my skin. They help to stimulate it also. Relax when you have to change the bag, take your time. I sit on the toilet, put a bag in the crotch of my pants and go from there, not a pretty picture but it is far more relaxing and accessible for me. I sometimes use a drawer for a lower shelf. I also have two glasses of water handy (plastic cups) to rinse my bag and I also have a fresh  bottle of water always in the bathroom in case I get thirsty or need extra water. Expect the odd mess on your clothes so have a spray cleaner handy to treat your cloths before you wash them. I carry a small bottle of it on me when I go out. Just a few ounces is all you need to carry, see cosmetic spray type containers for that, if you have a leak, you will appreciate it then. The cleaner I use is called spray kleen, environmentally friendly and a disinfectant. It has taken out every stain my guts have thrown at it without draining colour from my clothes. See Erics videos and learn all you can. When you think you know enough watch again, you may learn more. Also, instead of guessing like I had to for years, read his glossary of terms for ostimates I nearly flipped at what I did not know. my stoma was born  2008, I did not have a computer till two years ago. Never thought anyone would have a sight like this. We are very fortunate. Name your stoma.  I call mine Rose...because she really is a beautiful thing to have. It does help to connect you to the little foreign friend.  If you listen she will name herself. It is okay to touch your stoma. Good luck with everything and in echoes to all, Be patient. Expect a problem here and there and I always have a fresh change of clothes with me when I go out for more than a half day, just in case. If your away for they day, take extra supplies, I take more than I think I will need. See Erics video on that too. You can never be too prepared. In regards to eczema, my hands suffer more than anything. I now use plastic examination gloves from the pharmacy if I am in and out of the washroom too much, it helps prevent sore cracked skin and to heal the skin. Baby them also. To use less gloves I wash them when they are on my hands. If water gets in the gloves, a few squares of tissue helps dry them between uses.  I too will say a prayer for you. Let us know how things are going. Heal well. Stay hydrated. 

Linda

Donna2138 liked
ReplyQuote
Donna2138
(@donna2138)
Registered
July 10, 2018 8:15 pm  

Thanks Linda for the advice, I need all I can get. I look at all these videos and hope I’m not over thinking this. Another thing I worry about is Oder others might smell. Thanks for the prayers. 

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
Donna2138
(@donna2138)
Registered
July 10, 2018 8:18 pm  

Thanks Stella for the prayers and advice. I will keep in touch. 

Donna Lynch

ReplyQuote
Linda Knelsen
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 10, 2018 11:23 pm  

Hi Donna,  how are you holding out there?  Odor is something we all deal with. Not to worry.  I like to use the M9  from Hollister. I  need to use about 18-20 drops in my pouch every time I empty my bag.  What you use will depend on the bottle instructions and how you perceive the odors.  I order the 8 oz. bottle and from there I put it in bottles that I have rescued, so I have one I my purse, one in my "hospital to go" bag. I reuse saline sinus mist bottles for this.  Using the smaller bottles prevents me from squeezing the big one as it  has a spout, not the dropper tip on it and you may find you go thru it way too  fast.  

The other thing you may want to know about being new at this is, the Osto EZ Vent. They sell them in pkgs. of ten.  Here is the addy to find them on in Amazon....

https://amzn.to/2zuMgbx   

I have not learned the copy and paste thing yet.  Sorry about that. I am still learning computer. I have only learned recently that you have to install your own vents for gas...something everyone deals with, (looks easy) (Dona says it is too)  I have just ordered my first ones. My Ostomy was done in Sept. 2008.  I learned a lot on my own. You do not have to struggle here. I am not computer literate at all.  That was my hubbies thing. Anyways I have never seen this product till this week and thought the bag with the charcoal filter was IT! So... not so!  You may want to look into this and ask your stoma nurse is she has samples. Write questions down like this as a surgery can make your brain fuzzy from the drugs. Take any supplies and samples they will give you, they do come in handy and you can donate them if need be.  We have an 18 bed hospital here and when I brought them enough supplies for an emergency, they were very grateful.  Do not go home with out making sure you will have what you need.  The nurse usually arranges this. Ask what your limit of use is. I have unlimited, do not be afraid to push for what you may need.  Better safe than sorry.

If you have any more questions, concerns, or just want to share about your experience, this is the place. We are interested and  ostimates do not want to see anyone suffer in anyway, we will help if we can. Use a grain of salt thing.  Make sure you drink lots of water, get your rest and take naps.  Heal well and let us know how you are doing. I will be thinking about you Friday and you will be in my prayers. All the best! Remember...trial and error, what works for one is not always for another.

Linda

ReplyQuote
BetterBowels
(@betterbowels)
Registered
July 11, 2018 10:33 pm  

Hi Donna,

Nothing to add in the advice column as it seems there's a lot of good advice above. Just wanted to say good luck with your surgery on Friday! I'm sure it will go well and you'll have a bit of time for recovery. Don't forget about us while you're bored in the hospital. 

Oh, and I also have pretty severe eczema, however, a powder called Nystatin Powder can help with this. It's applied in areas of irritation, then a skin prep is used to moisten the powder to help the adhesive. Maybe you should mention your eczema to the hospital staff before the surgery and see if they can use the nystatin powder while you're still recovering. They will most likely explain all of this to you. 

Best wishes,

Darla

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register