Clear all

Coloplast Sensura hack/Mod  

RSS

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
May 30, 2020 11:10 am  

Hi

First of my posts on the modification to the Mio click bag system.

I like others have noticed problem with peeling of the wafer.

Heat seems to dry and shrink the wafer causing rucking of the wafer. Also noticed that skin folds cause the wafer to peel more at the edges.

When the skin was more drying and flaking after the chemo I noticed the glue unstuck quicker and tended to ball up. as My skin has improve a bit it not so rapid

In warm weather and warm skin the glue can un-stick and re-stick from movement I.e sit and bending accelerating the peeling.

I have found that cutting into the wafer from the edge to the thicker section as in the picture help to reduce the rucking and seems to extend the usability from 1-2 days to 3-5 days after that it very much needs to be replaced and it glue is visibly less tacky and stringy. I also trim the edges of the flange back a bit if I notice the edges lifting so far I have only had one leak and I found using a mio belt strengthens confidence when I notice some lifting.

So my main conclusion is body movement and the size of the ring diameter influences the durability ( mine is a 60mm /2-1/3" baseplate -large when first it was a 70mm even worse)

Next I will try and post the mods I've done to the bag to reduce ballooning.

Hope the post is understandable despite my chemo brain :roll: 

1590851415-100_1604.jpg

LK and VeganOstomy liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 1, 2020 12:30 pm  

I've seen other people do something similar with their harder wafers, so I'm glad that this helps!

I know that some brands (i.e. Salts) do this on purpose to their products to correct the exact problems you've described. 

Thanks for sharing!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:11 am  

At last here is the detail of how I modify my  coloplast sensura mio 2 peice click system bag to work better for my colostomy

ButtercupDragon Mac&Cheese on youtube gave me the start of the idea of cutting out most of the pre filter to solve two main problems bag ballooning and pancaking around stoma. For me this stops the ballooning a bag will last 2 to 3 days before the filter clogs.

Output sticking and the pre filter centre which consists of two extra layers of plastic makes it difficult to lift the plastic sheets of the stoma they vacuum to it. the mod reduces the pancaking but with a very high output I still need to shake it down!

1st Picture shows the section to cut out

1592230312-100_1629.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:16 am  

Here I show how I cut across the filter at 4 O'clock and at 10 O'clock and then cut the innner circle out. The higher 10 O'clock is as my stoma is on the left if I place the bag horizontal then there is less pre-filter to snag the outp

1592230732-100_1624.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:20 am  

Cutting the circle out

Careful around the centre tag at the bottom to avoid a leaking bag

1592230841-100_1625.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:21 am  

The filter all cut out

1592230890-100_1626.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:41 am  

Here I cut back the inner core and heat seal the cut end with the heat sealer I bought online for £8 which is around $10 amazing price but compared to Buttercup's sticking with tape this works better

1592232081-100_1630.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:42 am  

This is the most important part a new hole needs to be pierced into the cut and sealed pre-filter ends

1592232179-100_1632.jpg

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 15, 2020 10:49 am  

I hope this is reasonably clear. I'm due for surgery end of month so I needed to get this up

Eric if you wish to clean the posts up move them etc. I totally trust your do it right.

I'll look forward to the questions if I can answer them

ReplyQuote