Camping with an ostomy: share your tips

14 Posts
5 Users
11 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I know several of you like camping and I've love to hear some ideas on how to make the experience better.

One concern is emptying the bag at night.

I'd love to know what solutions you've found to this.

I know that some people will dig holes to empty their pouch into and some will use closed-ended pouches and "save" their full pouches (in an odor-free bag) to dispose of when appropriate.  Does this strategy work at night?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@john68)

Having never been camping but being from the country and working outdoors have met these needs by carrying a few disposable bags loo roll and finding a large tree!! I imagine a torch would be useful.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Sorry I can't help ya here guys . Camped all my life tents , sleeping bags on the ground back of a truck etc. but now our camping is done in a travel trailer with a loo . Haha . John I can't believe you have never camped Lad I like you have used the bushes trees etc. There is nothing like sitting around a campfire at night and the smell of bacon cooking outside in the pine trees .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Robert, Travel Trailer! yer goin soft on me big fella lol. Nope never been may be cause it rains so much in this country!! but am going to give it a go some day. the nearest I got was years ago a few mates went to a concert and we slept in the back of the Pick up Truck! And guess what!! IT RAINED!!

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hey John . I understand with all the rain you get over there it would make it a little tuff  for camping Haha . We don't get much rain around here although I do enjoy it when it does . Did get to see the first snow of the season around here this past weekend . Spent the weekend in Big Bear (its up in the mountains) took my wife up for her Birthday weekend and got to see a little snow . Stayed in a cabin but still it was cold for this desert rat 23 degrees when we left yesterday . Burrrrrr !

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Happy Birthday Mrs Robert xox... That sounds class!! 23 degrees if we get that in the summer its on the News and its called a heat wave! We have had a little snow but its been tricky with black ice. Also you say Travel Trailer we say Caravan

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

It's not the same,  but when my wife and I were returning Saturday night from our family get together  ( over 125) ,I had to use the urban equivalent and emptied my bag in a trash can. My wife was embarrassed but I was relieved. I carried some t/p with me,  JICOE  (Just in case of emergency ).

Urban adventure .

Robert and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Urban Warrior!!!! Way to Go Zvitusk !! I think my wife is going to bust a gut laughing!!!

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hey Z whatever it takes right ????? Haha . I actually carry a bucket with a lid and trash bags with us when we go on a long trip in the car . JICOE !

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

John Lad 23 is a heat wave wow I would never make it there I would freeze . In the summer here our heat wave can consist of 123 degrees + or - . A caravan here can be a group of cars or trucks traveling together . But you are correct with the definition guess its another one of the Irish terms for me to learn . Lol

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

23 degrees??  That would be a mild heat wave over here in Ct.  In a cold snap-then 50's this weekend..  go figure????  Glad you and your wife had a nice time.. Great to get away!! How did Norman do??????? 

I always carry vomit bags with me when I am out in the woods for Nellie.. :-) 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

Glad you see the humor 

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hey Marcie I don't know how all you people can live in that cold weather  . Lol .  53 years in the desert for me I can take the heat but I cant take the cold for to long . Haha . Was a normal weekend for Norman he did good no problems at all . The barf bags sound like a good idea . 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

, the barf bags, are slim, and I also carry one of those bags that we get in the box of pouches, along with napkins.. Napkins hold better.. :-)  

Ya the cold weather?  This year, was so warm and then bam! Got hit with the cold.. Snowing every day to keep things white.. So that is pretty- It can be a long cold winter at times.. As of the arrival of Nellie, we just take much to the hot weather, or the cold much anymore-mostly the heat.. I don't down hill ski, or ice skate anymore.. So it is reading weather.. Which is a nice break.. 

I also have a decent looking bag which contains:

I large plastic with lid of ricottia cheese, Napkins, a dentist bib,  gloves, plastic bags, I have one in each car. never can tell if I get stuck in a snow storm, traffic-because of one, and I am not in charge of those.. Neater.. and I just hang it behind the head rest of the drivers seat. Coffee cans are good too!! But a bit bulky for this.......... 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote