Community Forums

Appliance Changing Help  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 21, 2018 6:46 am  

Hi Folk, We all remember the early days when we needed help to change our bag. And when used to doing the job its pretty simple. Some ostomates will still need help for various different reasons. But have you ever thought about what if a circumstance came up where we couldn,t do it ourselves! What if we broke an arm (just an example) became ill and was very weak! I took my wife through my supply drawer made her aware of what does what, the size I cut my wafer etc and what my change consists of. We are all of different ages but any one can be laid up regardless.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
September 21, 2018 9:10 am  

Good point, John. My ostomy nurse told my husband, while I was in the hospital, that he was going to learn how to change my appliances, as the first couple of weeks was going to be a challenge for me while I recovered from surgery. Lee could be a great ostomy nurse if he wanted to! He was not put off by doing it at all and helped me to gain the confidence I needed to do it on my own. In fact, the first time he changed my appliance, the ostomy nurse was very impressed with his precision. She said she could tell he was a carpenter!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)
Registered
September 21, 2018 10:28 am  

My husband was there for my first change and has tried to learn all terminology .  I think he would give it a good try if he had to change my appliance .  Now i almost feel like I should write up a script for him to follow.  Or just direct him here!

Raine

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 21, 2018 10:54 am  

The way I look at this is we carry a few supplies in case of emergency. we may never use them for ages but its a back up. next time you change ask yer husband to watch, talk through what you are doing and why you do it. Plus say that night time problem happens, how useful would it be to have extra help to have new pouch ready while you where in the shower.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
September 21, 2018 12:06 pm  

My wife has been a huge help for me the whole time . Even helps me now because of other little issues . Its great to have a supportive spouse ........

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
September 21, 2018 12:20 pm  

I agree..great to have help when you need it most!

Also.. If you keep some made up 'kits' handy ( like in your bag or near the shower etc), be sure to swap them out occasionally with fresh ones.  That will ensure that they are still the correct ones and that they are not old.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register