Interesting article from New York Times

9 Posts
6 Users
1 Likes
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Topic starter  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/opinion/sunday/germs-microbes-processed-foods.html

This is really interesting. Generally about how processed food with low fibre and additives maybe increasing our rate of IBD and C. Diff. Actually mentions Crohn's! WOW. Worth a read.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Topic starter  

If you couldn't get the link to work in my previous message, just go to 

https://www.nytimes.com/section/opinion

and look for the article with the picture shown in the message above. 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Research into our microbiome will lead to quite a few new discoveries, and I'm glad that scientists are heading that way.

We know that the bacteria such thrive off the fiber we eat can be hugely beneficial to us, and I'm sure we'll continue to find links to other foods as we dig deeper into it.

I love how the author mentions hospital food, which is often low quality, but I know that some hospitals are already making positive changes to their menus. ?

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

So much of our food has become so processed, even what we see as healthy. even some fruit will have a additive to preserve shelf life. Here in the UK a sugar tax has been brought into force last week. fizzy drinks not falling into a certain level are now more expensive. The diet of school kids now is terrible so much quick junk food and less exercise! The health of the future generation is going to be badly harmed and IBD, Diabetes will be all to common.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Same over here John . What people think is healthy is not always the case . So many things get sprayed with pesticides n preservatives n fertilizers and so many things are processed you don't what you are getting unless you can grow it yourself and not many can do that .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

In the USA, No sodas etc. are not allowed to be sold in schools, like the vending ports etc. IT is a healthy diet, or don't eat.. or paper bag it.. as for tobacco goes, there is one chain of drug stores that wont sell it all.. And another one joining.. Now for the fire arms!!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Robert, Whats the saying "we are what we eat" I do try to keep it healthy but not perfect. I find that some of the processed food I used to eat give me too much trouble so not worth it. when I was at school the meals where a proper dinner, the year I left it was contracted out and became a fast food canteen!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

endI agree with Robert, on the foods that are processed.  They seem to be more and more processed than ever and adding. I have friends that full time label readers in the stores and they are in there for hours as a group.  Which drive me nuts to tell u the truth..  they eat VERY proper but take 40 health pills per day on the side..  Which is NOT good for the body either.. My Dr. always ask me if I take these health pills.. (as it seems to be a biggie over here) I asked why do u ask?  Because they cant form a honest option of their health/blood issues. Also, not good for out problems as ostomate's or will become one.  So it can be a game to find the right foods on an everyday basis - true, if u eat out a lot.  But we are alerted to this now, and WE are in charge of the naturals for our diets.  Fruits are my best friend and home made soups. But, I am not going to go nuts reading labels either.. I have, and it is scary......... Having Nellie is scary enough for me right now.. She is the boss as I.  But wont go over the edge because I used canned goods or grab a burger on my way..  I think a few beers for you John and Robert, is O.K., it is from natural causes......... So enjoy!!! Life is short !! Cheers !!!!!

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

Its so bizarre how only some people are affected to this level . With the amount of processed crap being consumed.. I'll guarantee you there are people who eat a TON more processed crap than I ever did... Mind you, I did gobble up a number of advil for a few years... 

ReplyQuote