Community Forums

Community Forums

Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

Sriracha Oatmeal  

RSS

FelicityG
Trusted Member
19/09/2017 1:31 pm  

This is a favorite comfort meal for my house.

I do a 5 minute egg and make bacon to be chopped into it and sprinkle good parmesian cheese on top. I'd imagine chopped scallion would be amazing on it too. Easy to make vegetarian friendly, omit egg, bacon and cheese.

As a short cut you can use Sambal Oolek in place of Sriracha and minced garlic. It's basically a ready made pepper and garlic paste. Saves chopping and is made by the Sriracha folks so you still support a relatively small family business.

From http://blog.thesrirachacookbook.com

“Cock A Doodle Doo” Savory Sriracha Oatmeal recipe

1 cup rolled oats (NOT instant)
2 cups water
Small handful whole cashews
1 tablespoon soy sauce 
1 tablespoon Sriracha, plus more for happy squirting
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs (free-range and organic is best)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan set over a medium heat, combine the oats, water, cashews, Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), Sriracha, rosemary, and garlic. Bring it to a boil, cover, and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oats are cooked through, about 5 minutes. 

While the oats are cooking, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, crack in the eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the eggs to your desired consistency, though sunny side up is my preference so the yolk can ooze all over your oatmeal. For sunny side up, cook the egg (without flipping) until the whites are set and the yolk is still jiggly, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Spoon out the oatmeal, and top each serving with a fried egg. Drizzle a little bit of leftover oil from the egg pan over the plated oatmeal. Squirt additional Sriracha over all of it should you want a little extra heat. (And who doesn’t?) 

Makes 2 hearty servings

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
21/09/2017 11:30 am  

Thanks for sharing. 

This recipe should be easily "veganized" by replacing the eggs with either tofu scrambles or something like "The Vegg" if you want it more like a sunny side up. (See THIS video).

You can also find mock bacon recipes and use non-dairy cheese if you want all the toppings on there :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register