Community Forums

Pseudo Blockages, m...

Notifications
Clear all

Pseudo Blockages, malabsorption and severe anemia...am I having fun yet?

161 Posts
11 Users
223 Likes
13.5 K Views
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

Thank you Stella and Tony. I love to cook. I've cooked in hospital kitchens, restaurants, a college a Bible camp kitchen and even on a CN Train. Eating my vitamins has always been important to me.  I learned over the years to cook for a "smoother" less painful digestion, keeping the food interesting.  When I already eat plenty of small vitamin rich meals and snacks thru the day, eating so much more when you associate it with pain is not a good recipe.  I fear they seem to loose sight of the "mala-sorption" issues. Other then adding the liquid vitamins, cooked desserts and sauces to the plan I am not sure what else to do.  I can't eat myself into over full and then nausea and more gut pain, I would not have a "life". In 2007 when this happened, they admitted me, rested my guts, kept me on TPN, then after 8 months, gradually added foods, my guts turned it around for me, this surprised the docs.  It helps knowing the internist is keeping an eye on things but in reality it has been 18 mths. I guess we'll see where things go trying to increase fats and certain snacks. Oddly enough it all sounds so unhealthy. Any ideas? What do you eat when you need something really nourishing?

Linda

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Linda, You have a lot to deal with and thanks for sharing. 

This may be a no brainer, but have you just tried a spoonful of peanut butter ( smooth or chunky if you can handle it). My favorite is Laura Scudders  Old Fashioned. All Natural. Its just the nuts and a trace of salt. Nothing else and it taste great. If not that maybe some other nut butter? Tofu is also really good ( all firmnesses). If you use dairy keifer or some other form of drinkable yougert my go down well...full fat! if you can find it.

Good luck. We are all pulling for you. And wonderful about the wedding!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I hope that things get in the upswing for you. How lovely to have your son’s wedding coming up soon! Did you get something new to wear?

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

Thankyou Dona and Stella so much for ideas and encouragement. I honestly did not realize how much it helps to be encouraged along the way until especially this week, so thank you ALL. 

I have taken a long look into increasing foods with especially the vitamins I fail to absorb most, peanut butter will be one of them along with pistacios and cashews for iron. Beet leaves more available now they will be another.

This wedding is exciting. I am wearing a dress I bought a few years ago, never able to wear, and was unable to fit after quick revenge of the thyroid. I took it in on a few places, to force a fit.  My feet have lost fat also, all my shoes are too loose to wear. I scrubbed down my favorite. thongs, I am going too wear those instead. I am getting what's left of my hair done though, and I'll do my make up. With several 1 hr. Garden wedding sessions in the sun, I now have some colour on my face making & eliminating the drastic paleness.

I did hear from my internet office today. She wants to see my at the end of July. She is only in this end of the country 1ce a week, so for her that's in four days. Lol. Tho not as bad I am still anemic and she is setting me up for more iron infusions, and with them my Hemoglobin has improved which is probably why I could weed my flower bed even just for 1 hr. shots and sitting in a stool.

Thank you for the kind thoughts, words and prayers.

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

When is the wedding?  It is always so nice having something to look forward to. What does your dress look like? 

i have had iron infusions the last 3 sundays. I am done for a while since it is my kidney dr who keeps ordering them and I don't see him again for a couple more months. I don't really have any problems with them, they are just tedious because they mean about 4 hours at the hospital. I remember you saying you have a hard time with them, so I hope yours go smoothly this time. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi Linda,

Fats only sound unhealthy because so-called experts have demonized them over the years. You need fat in your diet; otherwise you wouldn't be able to process vitamin D and other fat solubles. Typically what people don't need a lot of is carbs. An exception to this is an athlete, who can make good use of carbs for things like sprinting. A high-fat, low-carb diet wouldn't be so good for an athlete. When I started eating fewer carbs and more fat, I actually found that I generally felt better, not worse. It took a bit of work to shift my thinking in this direction. Certain kinds of nuts, if you can tolerate them, are good sources of fat but low on the carbs. Peanut butter is an absolutely stellar source for this, if it's prepared properly, meaning little or no added sugar, vegetable oil, and definitely no trans fats or hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated garbage. I would also consider getting a peanut butter with added omega-3 if possible. It's high in protein, which is great, but more importantly it's high in fat, which is absolutely what you want even more than protein.

(Fine Print: The above is one man's opinion based on his experience with medical and nutritional matters as a patient and does not necessarily reflect the erroneous beliefs of so-called experts who say high carb and low fat diets are the way to get healthy. They couldn't be more wrong if they called a tomato a suspension bridge, but see your doctor or dietitian for actual advice, and don't sue Eric or Tony if anything goes wrong. End of fine print.)

P.S.: Don't eat peanut butter if you're allergic to nuts, or you'll die horribly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK, VeganOstomy and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: IleosTony

Hi 

P.S.: Don't eat peanut butter if you're allergic to nuts, or you'll die horribly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Tony!!  ?

That is just the laugh I needed this week. I was wondering where you have been. I hope all is okay with you. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK and LLNorth reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Everything is fine, Liza. I'm just super busy these days but thought I'd better show my virtual face around here, especially with our much loved Linda's health concerns still a reality. Life is still bright. Again, thank you.

Tony

LK, sjlovestosing and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi Linda. I've been thinking about you and I hope you are doing well today. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Tony,

Loved your last post! I also try to eat a lot of healthy fats, plus drink a great deal of fluids as both help to keep things moving along.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your replies and the PM's. I so appreciate them and for your sense of humor too, Tony. I had a good laugh about your reply. 

I am having a bad time with my eyes the past few weeks. I need to see the Opthamologist again.

The wedding was really very nice, and I managed thru the day in one piece but I am too tired again. Every time I think I can be here at VO, I end up falling asleep and messing up my train of thought. Suddenly jerking and flailing awake. A straight sleep seems impossible at this time,  I am just too tired again, so I wonder what my, Irom and,Hemoglobin are up to again. More blood work Monday.

This is one of those times so I will come back when I have a few more days rest. 

TTYL  Thankyou...Linda

Linda

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi All,

I was chatting with Linda on a private message and she asked me to send an update because she didn't know if she would have a chance to post something.

Linda got a call yesterday that her dad, who is suffering from cancer, was given about a week to live, so she and her son were going to driving about 4 hours today so she could go see her dad and say goodbye.  She thought it might be a week or so before she checks in again 

Linda-when you do see this, I hope you have/had a nice visit with your dad. I am so sorry that you have this on top of everything else you are dealing with. We are all pulling for you and hope you get some good news soon. You are definitely overdue for something good to happen!!  And thanks for the update!!  I would have worried if I didn't see you here for a while. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Thanks for letting us know Lisa, Linda our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Thanks for the update Liza.

Linda, my goodness, I'm so very sorry! You are ever in my prayers, my friend.

Tony

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Linda,

Whenever you get this, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. It's never easy losing a loved one.

God bless and be with you,

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Hi All,

I have another update from Linda. She is going through a pretty rough time. Her father passed away Sunday. She has been suffering from bad allergies as well as a couple of infections requiring antibiotics. The traveling has been tough on her physically as well.  She came back home for a couple days to try to alleviate the allergies and regain her strength. She is going back for a private family burial Thursday and a service Friday.  She is also concerned about her mother, who is suffering from dimentia. It sounds like the grief over her father hasn't completely sunk in yet. She is just trying to get through the services and get back home to then allow herself to grieve for her father. She should be back by Monday, so it will probably be that long before we hear from her. 

Linda--I (and undoubtedly many others) am so terribly sorry for your loss and wish you as much peace and comfort as possible during this time. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Linda,

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. My prayers for comfort and strength for you and yours most certainly ascend heavenward.

Tony

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Linda, I am very sorry for your troubles. You are in my thoughts.  

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

My thoughts are with you Linda.  This is a very hard time for you. I will be thinking of you with good thoughts.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Linda,

I am so sorry for your loss. May God bring you healing, comfort and strength during this time and beyond. Having lost both of my parents, my heart goes out to you.

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9