Community Forums

Why Wouldn't You Ge...

Notifications
Clear all

Why Wouldn't You Get a J-Pouch? (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
April 30, 2019 10:29 am  

Peter, my friend has/had a j-pouch--she experanced -sp- the same..  Got rid of it, and happier now with just the stoma pouching.  This was suggested to me also-but I refused once I got educated VERY WELL of this procedure. This works well for a younger person-- and that I am not-69 yrs. 

Once again as you know by now--This procedure is a whole learning of your training your mussels in that area.  For some it is great-for others, it was like before they received their stoma and pouching system.  so, they went back to being an ostomate.  Either way-we r looking for the toilet... :-)

Wishing you the best !! m.

ReplyQuote
Zippy83
 Zippy83
(@Zippy83)
September 6, 2019 4:33 pm  

I've had my temporary ileostomy for just about 7 years. Couldn't have been happier with it, especially compared with UC. But about a month ago I started having trouble getting the bags to stay on, the are falling off just about every night. I guess because my stoma is falling in on it's self. So now I am thinking of getting the j-pouch surgery. After reading this article, it's got me questioning the j-pouch. Should I maybe try to get my stoma fixed instead? Has anyone else had this problem?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 6, 2019 4:42 pm  

The first thing before you consider additional surgery is to have a stoma nurse take a look at your ostomy and appliance. It's better to correct a potentially minor problem, rather than risk major complications. If step one fails, you always have step two. Best of luck!

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
September 8, 2019 4:26 am  

@veganostomy

Hello Sir Eric...I watched that video on J-Pouches tonight for the first time.  It was excellent and full of information.  I have to say, that I was very impressed with the care and advice, that this surgeon gives to respecting and listening to the patient. Thank you for providing all the incredible information you make available to us all.   

Zippy83...hold the bus here...before you consider J-Pouch after 7 years you have to be sure that your rectal muscles and those further up can take the stress of stool once again. Incontinence from a weakness there is horribly time consuming and  embarrassing and it can happen even in your sleep. Knowing a J-Pouch has all its own issues, this is not to be considered lightly.   The muscles may never be strong enough again to work the may you think they should.  There are tests that can be done to find out if they are viable or not, and ofcourse exercises, but they are not 100% fool proof. A stoma can change for many reasons right down to weight loss or weight gain.  Have you noticed anything else going on with your intestine that may have got you to your stoma in the first place...re-occurrence of disease, blood in stool, stool changes, or?  Food changes?  Schedule changes and such?  I think it is wonderful you have had 7 years with your stoma,  and adjusted and accepted it, please, as Eric says, try and discover why your stoma is recessing first and solve the skin issues too.  It would be wise to check with your GP and he should send you to a Gastroenterologist for a review of your digestive system if you report any change there.  Yes, it would be nice to go back to somewhat normal bowel movements, but based on your acceptance of your pouch I think your normal is  right in front of you.  All the best, and be well! 

Linda

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: