Clear all

Next Step  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 10, 2019 4:52 am  

Liza job done ✅ As Linda says take eating slowly. The results well until then it’s time to reflect on the choices those will bring, Have a relaxing weekend 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
August 10, 2019 11:04 am  

Hi Liza,

I hope all is well with you today. Take it slow, as Linda suggested, and get plenty of rest. I'll bet that gem of a husband of yours (a continuation of "Stoma Collars"!) is doing all he can to make sure that you do just that. 

Stella

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 10, 2019 12:28 pm  

@sjlovestosing

Hi Stella,

I actually have a funny story for you  I got up early to go to the farmers market this morning  I was all ready to go and I remembered I wasn't supposed to drive for 24 hours, so I went and told my husband, thinking maybe he would offer to go with me. He asked if I felt okay to drive and I told him I thought so and he said well if you feel like you aren't turn around and come back.  So maybe he is the kind of gem they put in mood rings  😂 And I was going to get fruit to make a gluten free dessert for his mom who will be visiting this weekend!  Men!!  😂

But in all seriousness, I am feeling pretty good. My bum is a little sore, but it has been a long time without anything going in or out of it. 😂😂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 10, 2019 2:15 pm  

Goodmorning Liza, glad to hear your up and atem' right off the bat. I hope you enjoy the visit from your Mom.  I am going to say I am a 100% sure your hubby drove you anyways, and being a real gem, just had some fun on "you" about changing your mind and coming back. Mine would have said the same thing to me, without skipping a beat!

If you don't  mind, I am going to use  some things you said here as a bit of an educational moment. This is for some who may have never have dealt with the way they feel after  having these drugs on board. Copy and paste was a lost effort on my part.

So,  here I go... "ofcourse I have no memory of it, so I'm basing it on the fact that l feel okay,"  and, "I remembered I wasn't supposed to drive for 24 hours" and, "he asked if l felt okay to drive", and I told him "I thought so", and he said "if you feel like you aren't, turn around and come back".

This can actually be a moment we reflect on, because as a volunteer fireman, my hubby would often come home from an accident scene and remark that it was an accident that did not need to happen, or, on their way to one, lights and sirens, some drivers would not pull over or would just slow down with the emergency vehicles blareing behind them, thinking the trucks could pass them, causing a situation that would be an accident looking for a place to happen endangering more lives.

Some people may not be aware of the fact that "they tell us not to drive for those 24 hours", because the DRUGS will actually stay in our systems for "24 hours",  and even longer if your me. Lol. Often leaving us unable to make a wise and instant decision and reaction, about about something requiring the amount of resposablility, as driving a weapon like a car requires us to have when we are driving. 

My first experiece (and no  I've never been drunk) with the "hangover"  affect was, that I had "forgotten" I had been told not to drive for 24 hours and was trying to go for a few groceries. Before I left the house, I lost my list 5 times, and could not remember where I had last put my keys, all the while walking around with one shoe on! Finally,  keys and list in one hand, the other with my hand on the door knob, about to walk out the door  the words rushed back at me when I had glanced down and realized I was still missing one shoe. Looking at myself in the mirror by the door I asked out loud, with disgust, what do you think your doing?! 

Needless to say, I abandoned my "but I feel great efforts" and stayed home. We often do not realize we may be in a bad way until we can't turn around and come home. Please, whether it is your 1st or 10th round,  make all efforts to follow the guidelines given for after you have been thru tests or surgery. You can do this by asking someone close to you to take your keys until the required time has passed.

If you have no one available, give them to a neighbor and explain why instructing them that by no excuse are they to give them to you until the time has passed. Do this before your before your treatment, also,tape a note to the door and remind yourself that the drugs will give you a feel fine day but also a hangover affect.

Your blood can be tested after an accident occurs and charges can be layed for Driving under the Influence of drugs. Costing you a lot more then a handful of groceries. Always air on the side of caution. The doctors always tell us this because then they can say they told you not to drive and protect their stomas at the same time. Talk about a high jacked forum!  I hope the vegan desert was a delicious as it is likely to be.

Linda

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
August 10, 2019 7:05 pm  

Liza,

I'm a little late seeing this thread, but I wanted to add my support. Yes, those prep drinks are nasty! lol

As for the reversal thing, @lk makes a lot of good points. I had my reversal in mid 1995 as a young teen. It has worked out well for the most part, but there are still some issues I deal with that I'm also still trying to pin down since I don't know what they actually did. I'm trying to get a hold of my records though, so it'll be interesting to see what I can gleen from them.

Even as a school-age child, I wasn't able to do any of my ileostomy care on my own. Had I been, and been an adult knowing what I know now, I wonder if I would have gone through with the reversal. Right now though, I think it was a good thing that I had it. There are just some small issues that I deal with, but keeping the ostomy would've had its own issues. Like a lot of things in life, it's a trade off.

Wishing you all the best.

Brian ,

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 11, 2019 12:25 am  

Thanks Brian. 

When I get my results and find out if I have a choice to make about being rehooked, I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for both you and Linda.   I appreciate your reply!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 11, 2019 12:36 am  
Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

Goodmorning Liza, glad to hear your up and atem' right off the bat. I hope you enjoy the visit from your Mom.  I am going to say I am a 100% sure your hubby drove you anyways, and being a real gem, just had some fun on "you" about changing your mind and coming back.

I hope the vegan desert was a delicious as it is likely to be.

Hi Linda,

It is my mother-in-law.  I wish it was my mom. But it is going well. 

I am going to say I am 100% sure that he did not drive me to the Farmers Market. By this morning, I truly did feel fine, but I will remember your post next time. 

The gluten free rhubarb crisp was a success!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 11, 2019 2:58 pm  

@squeakyandliza...Glad your well enough to make dessert anyways. I freeze my rhubarb and use it in muffins. 

You naughty girl. Keeping in mind, everyone "metabolizes" these things differently. It is important to know that one can be affected as I was, after medication was on board the day before. The nurse in me has to err on the side of caution. Many people do not realize they could end up with a criminal record. Yikes! 

When do you get your results? Did they tell you anything before you went home about what they saw. I have seen inside my insides once too often  but now that I know the combo that failed, I'll be talking to the gastroguy about what he uses from now on. Its on a recipe card with my medical info. in red ink! That will never be used again if I have anything to say about it. Sounds like you rec'd the good combo of meds for your system, I wonder if that is why you felt so well after...hmmm. '{:D.  So happy 4 U! It was certainly not my experience. Lol. Happy Sunday. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 11, 2019 9:07 pm  

Hi Linda,

I'm not sure when I will get the results. We see the surgeon's assistant for a wound follow up on Wednesday, so hopefully they will have heard from the GI dr by then?!?

So, I had a leak, actually a blowout this morning. 😡 At least it happened at home, and of all the possible visitors to have, 2 retired nurses took it all in stride. Especially my mother-in-law who has actually changed out my bag for me when I was just out of the hospital and not able to do it myself. 

Must say these leaks are a check in the reversal column. 😕

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
August 13, 2019 9:21 am  

This was the perfect thread for me to read today. Thanks to everyone who has contributed their comments. 

I too have an ileostomy due to rectal cancer. My rectum was removed and my colon has been reattached. I am nearing the end of my chemo and after that I am supposed to schedule my ileostomy reversal surgery. As this time draws near, I am getting nervous about how my body will react. I do my strengthening exercises every day. 

It is comforting to come to this site and read that I am not alone. 

Alice

Alice

LK, VeganOstomy, Tony and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 13, 2019 9:34 am  

@awc19

I wish I could give you some advice, but I have no idea what I am doing. 😂  But as I go through whatever I end up doing, I will be sure to let you know all the good and bad. 🙂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
August 13, 2019 10:17 am  

Thank you. I wish you all the best. I will be following your updates.

Alice

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 13, 2019 1:01 pm  

I just want to make sure that you all know to ask your surgeons a few things, "Do I have a choice or a say in the matter?" What if my muscles fail? How long do I try for? How long is a reversal wait? Incontinence is not classified as life and death surgery.  In regards to possible incontenance ask if the nurse or replacement surgeon can book a date for you if your Dr. should be away, avoiding a longer wait with incontenance. You have to do what is best for "you" no one else, at all times in these matters, especially when you have a choice. 

There is no shame in writing your questions down, take them with you, write answers down as answered. A good doctor will understand. If you can, record your visit, but ask permission first. No recording device,  take a camera with video ability, leave lens cap on set record. Tell them it is for your own knowledge. Bring a friend and give them permission to ask question too. All the best!

Linda

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 13, 2019 1:10 pm  

Linda you have experience on both sides of these surgeries, I think your input to this topic is very valuable. And please continue to follow this thread 👍

ReplyQuote
Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
August 13, 2019 1:48 pm  

@dlkfiretruck

Thanks for your input. My surgeon has already said we do testing before surgery to insure my muscles are going to work. I will definitely ask many questions and will include these you suggested. I really like my surgeon and respect his experience. He is a straight shooter, who will tell me like it is. My husband and a dear friend, who is a nurse will go with me and my doctor is used to my groupies coming with me and is very patient answering questions and drawing pictures for us. 

Alice

Alice

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 13, 2019 6:14 pm  

John, thank you, that's very kind. I know I could have benefitted from the experience of others when I was going thru this stuff, it would have made a world of difference for me.

Alice....I am pretty darn sure I know exactly what that testing is. I would suggest you ask your doctor ahead of your appointment, this...what exactly is done  to test if my muscles are strong enough to perform after surgery? And tell him you want the truth.  The test I had is like no other I have ever ever ever had. I wish I had known ahead of time what they were needing to do to find out muscle strength. I so hope this is not that test. But, you may want to ask ...unless the element of surprise is best for you..  For the record, my muscles passed. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 13, 2019 9:07 pm  
Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

The test I had is like no other I have ever ever ever had. I wish I had known ahead of time what they were needing to do to find out muscle strength. I so hope this is not that test. But, you may want to ask ...unless the element of surprise is best for you..  For the record, my muscles passed. 

Linda, I am both morbidly curious and terrified to know what that test is. 😂😂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
August 13, 2019 9:28 pm  

Yes, agree with Linda. 

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
August 14, 2019 11:42 am  

I have a follow up with my surgeon's assistant in 3 hours. The GI nurse called me to tell me he found granularity during colonoscopy all throughout and did some biopsies and sent them to the lab. She didn't say when they expected biopsy results, so not sure if I will get that at the appointment today. 

So, I have no idea what will happen today, other than an assessment of the wound, so it is hard to mentally prepare for it.  I'll be back with an update this afternoon  🙂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 14, 2019 11:56 am  

Liza All the best keep calm and have your questions ready 👍

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3