Community Forums

Dressing with an Ostomy: A Clothing Guide for Men (with video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Charlotte French
 Charlotte French
(@Charlotte French)
May 12, 2018 4:45 pm  

Check with your state laws. Many states will wave the seat belt law if you carry a letter from your Doctor certifying you have an ostomy and seat belts are detrimental to the operation and safety of the ostomy.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 12, 2018 4:52 pm  

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your comment.

Even if I had the legal right to not wear a seatbelt, I would still wear one with a seatbelt guard because the risks of not wearing one far outweigh any benefits to comfort or convenience.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Anna
 Anna
(@naan157)
Registered
May 12, 2018 6:56 pm  

This has come through to the wrong person

ReplyQuote
AJ
 AJ
(@AJ)
May 29, 2018 3:26 pm  

Thanks, I had no idea how I was going to function in "the world" but your video has given me several ideas.

ReplyQuote
Reefsider
 Reefsider
(@Reefsider)
October 5, 2018 10:56 pm  

Thank your for the comprehensive information, it's very important and I'm sure life-changing for many.

I'm wondering if you know of any manufacturers that make products for children? I can find little information online for children living with ostomies.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 5, 2018 10:59 pm  

Hi Reefsider,

There are pediatric products like wafers and pouches that are designed for children, but you don't really come across accessories or clothing for kids with an ostomy. I'm not sure if it's a matter of the demand not being high enough or whether the products simply don't work the same for a child.

It might be worth inquiring with one of the manufacturers who makes a product you're interested in to see if they can custom make one for kids.

ReplyQuote
Reefsider
 Reefsider
(@Reefsider)
October 6, 2018 6:38 am  

Thank you for your prompt reply. Most paediactric stomas tend to be short term so I can understand why companies don't go out of their way. My grandson has had 2 stomas for most of his life. He's about to turn 6. There's an understandable psychological impact and unfortunately increasingly severe bullying. I think some of the dressing products would be helpful.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 6, 2018 10:02 am  

Hey Reefsider,

Check these belts out: https://www.stealthbelt.com/stealth-belt-kids

I've worn the adult version of these belts for years, and they help a lot with comfort and concealment!

At 6, he's too young for the UOAA Youth Rally, but I think it might be something to consider when he turns 11 - building up more confidence in the company of others can be life-changing: http://www.youthrally.org/

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Terry
 Terry
(@Terry)
April 1, 2019 6:35 pm  

Coveralls, kilts

ReplyQuote
Caroline Alderson
 Caroline Alderson
(@Caroline Alderson)
December 6, 2019 12:44 am  

Help is an understatement! You’ve completely lifted our spirits by making daunting post surgery prospects so much less formidable. I can’t thank you enough! This is a bounty of useful, encouraging information. Thanks again for sharing it.
Caroline

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 10, 2019 11:00 am  

Glad I could help, Caroline! :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register