Community Forums

Dealing with Thick Ostomy Output - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 10, 2019 2:59 pm  
Posted by: Bill grandy

Beware of large oranges causing blockages. I had a blockage a couple of weeks ago. The doctor I saw said that was the second blockage he had seen from oranges in a month. Luckily I passed it all within a matter of a couple days.

What I do with oranges is to remove the membrane of each slice so that only the "meat" of the orange is consumed. The other parts of the inside of an orange can be very difficult to chew well enough not to cause blockages. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 12, 2019 1:29 am  

Yes, you can add me to the list of orange  partial blockage. I handled it from home only because I was not in that much pain. With short gut syndrome, I was aware how many meals and what should have been through to the bag. After two days of nothing, and eating lightly,  I new I was hooped. I also new immediately what had caused it. I had two small oranges the night before. After that if I wanted an orange, I made a point to take it out of  the skin. If you have ever watched a chef on TV you will know how to do this. Let me help. Cut the tops and the bottom off the fruit to make it sit to not roll. Then slice the peel off the fruit from top to bottom removing the softer part of the skin under the peel also, once done with a knife place the blade into the fruit as close to the skin as you can get. Do this on each side of each segment and then making the triangle towards the center, the fruit should release into  waiting bowl. Do this over a bowl or plate to catch the juice and be sure to enjoy that also. To get the remaining juice from the pieces of peel you just removed, take the back of a spoon and drag it along the peel over the  bowl. I am on a very tight budget, and at first thought this would be wasteful. Not any more. If you have a problem with doing this to your fruit, reason it out to one less hospital stay. Grape skin can be equally as bad for a blockage. I chew the grape down to the point where the skin is feeling tough and dry and then toss it. Not worth the risk.  Three days later, the blockage cleared. I will not make that mistake twice. I get eczema on my hands quickly from oranges, so I usually drink my OJ, but sometimes you just need a good chew! 

Linda

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 15, 2019 9:26 am  
Posted by: Linda Knelsen

If you have ever watched a chef on TV you will know how to do this. Let me help. Cut the tops and the bottom off the fruit to make it sit to not roll. Then slice the peel off the fruit from top to bottom removing the softer part of the skin under the peel also, once done with a knife place the blade into the fruit as close to the skin as you can get. Do this on each side of each segment and then making the triangle towards the center, the fruit should release into  waiting bowl. Do this over a bowl or plate to catch the juice and be sure to enjoy that also.

That's pretty much how I do it. Here's a video for more clarification. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Bill grandy
 Bill grandy
(@Bill grandy)
January 15, 2019 4:38 pm  

Sorry you ran into the same problem Linda. Thanks for the tips. I won’t be eating oranges for awhile. I didn’t realize grapes did the same thing so goodbye to grapes also.
Bill grandy

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
January 16, 2019 12:39 am  

Eric,  THANK  YOU!  That was perfect. I was going to say in my entry to squeeze the life out of the remaining center, but because I get eczema and the OJ burns it when wet by OJ, I just take the cutting board I used, grab a fork, jab the remains and slide the back of a spoon across the rest to get all those great vitamins. Eric, your so awesome! Does anyone else think Eric is awesome?

Linda

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register