Clear all

I think I got defective Coloplast Velcro ends

18 Posts
4 Users
15 Likes
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

So I started my work night normally. Took my shower extra early just in case anything goes wrong with my pouching. Got my pouch on but had to open a new box and velcroed and tucked up. Took garbage out and came back to put deodorant in before I leave. Well….. when I untucked the pouch there was poop all over the Velcro and the wings that close it. I go to open the pouch and stool goes everywhere! All over my bathroom floor etc.. you know the scenario I’m sure. I realize I have no more garbage bags as I was going to stop in the morning. So I’m holding my stoma with a paper towel after getting the pouch off as I mopping the bathroom with Lysol with my free hand. Found a garbage bag that I had something else in. The whole time I am cringing and shaking because the new women upstairs has been complaining about smells as well as being able to get to work in time. I had to re-shower and of course re- pouch. Lucky my boss understood and I wasn’t but 15-20 mins late. 
now being that it was a new box I was afraid to put on a pouch from that box so I had an older box that I grabbed one from but was the last of those. I’m worried sick that the rest of my pouches are going to be that way and I’m seriously thinking about going back to my convatec that had a clip. I’m wondering if these things could have been leaking smells all this time as well. I’m thinking maybe my clients homes were not the whole issue of the smells I was getting in my car and cloths etc.. it’s really got me to thinking. Anyone else having the Velcro closure issue with Coloplast mio?

Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

I had one pouch a few years ago that was missing one of the Velcro tabs, but no other issues so far. Maybe you got a defective pouch, but check the whole box to make sure. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I think we’ve all been there for one reason or another. 

Laurie

Just a semicolon

Chelly reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@tigerlily yep, you know though I have been Leary of this Velcro thing since I first started using it. I was so accustomed to a clip and felt more confident that nothing would come out or smell. I actually tried using one of my convatec clips for this mio but it’s no where possible. It seemed the leaking was coming from the tab that holds the end when you tuck it up in there.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

That really sucks :( I'm sorry that you had to go through that, @chelly.

Is the Velcro actually coming off or pulling free while you wear the appliance? Either way, I'd let Coloplast know as they'll likely just send you a new box.

When I had issues with Hollister bags failing at the closure (pinhole defects), I would test by closing up a bag, filling it with air, covering the back hole before it was cut (1pc appliance), and then put pressure on the bag with the outlet in some water to see if it produced bubbles.

You might be able to do something similar, just to see if the velcro fails prematurely with the rest of the bags you have.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy hi, no it was a brand new pouch so nothing pulling away. You know how you roll the mio up towards you and then attach the connector wings that are Velcro? Well, then you tuck it up to that plastic peice of Velcro that keeps it tucked up. 
when I untucked it is when I saw the output all over the connector wings and the outside of the tolled up part and thought that  is strange to have output there. You know right befor you undo the little Velcro closures. 
I just got off the phone with Coloplast and they fo want yo replace them but I need something to wear and if it was just one bag then no big deal. I told her I have one in now and so far nothing yet. Told her I will call if I notice there are any others. Afraid to take the replacement because I need bags and I change daily.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chelly If this was a one-off problem, you shouldn't experience it again. I do understand your hesitation and concern, since these products should always be 100% reliable.

Cat momma and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy yes, it must have been a mishap with one bag thus far because the others I’ve been using since have been ok. Funny thing is that everything was put together as usual unless that plastic Velcro type thing where you tuck it up had maybe a hole in it.  This taught me a lesson though, I really need to get a back up supply going again. This way should it happen again I won’t hesitate to send them all back. I was literally put into a rock and a hard place taking the chance of anymore being that way but Shute I had to have something to try to put on. I had to go to work. These are the times I regret giving away sample supplies that I used to keep around. It’s just that I had no where to put all the stuff. It was building up over the years. They told me quality control may reach out to me. The girl seemed to think maybe a seam was off.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chelly Yeah, no matter how good their quality control can be, sometimes stuff like that can get through.

I had one incident many years ago where the flap that secures the closure actually came off - like the glue or whatever held it in place simply failed. Fortunately, since the outlet rolled so tight, it didn't open up on its own. I don't recall if it was Hollister or Coloplast, but it was the only time something like that happened.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy I’m seriously thinking of going back to my old convatec activelife durahesive deep convex.  I did have excess adhesive issues but I can’t be having to worry about leaky ends. I’d rather have a clip and feel more security in that department . I do question if these ends are secure even when they are not defective. Even though rolled up I’m sure there is still room for smells to come out in the sides of the rolled up ends and of course when poop drops down now you’re putting weight there. I really like the mio a whole lot but I just can’t hang with these Velcro things any longer after that ordeal. I don’t trust it.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

I do question if these ends are secure even when they are not defective.

I haven't had a failure of the outlet on a non-defective bag that I can recall. This includes amusement park rides, very long bike rides, and very full bags! But I do understand the concern and hope that future non-issues can build back your confidence in the product.

But to help with weight, because that can tug on the wafer, I do tend to wear some kind of support belt or other accessory to reduce the tugging. Lately, it's been a Vertical Stealthbelt or the "Ostomy Pouch Pocket". Regrettably, I don't have reviews for either, but I use them daily.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

That’s good to know that you feel they are secure. I trust your experienced opinion. However I freaked out so bad when that happened and thought oh no I can’t be doing this.  I do wear a corsinol Ostomy support garment but they have been smelling. I can’t seem to get the smell out in the wash no matter what I use. I’m thinking maybe when I’m rinsing I’m touching the end of the bag and then putting in the water and then taking the left hand to slosh the water around while my right hand is holding the bag. So thinking that that left hand that I used to slosh it around maybe had a tad of output getting in the outside of the bag. I really miss using wipes to wipe everything down when I’m done but they put vitamin e, aloe, glycerine and all kind of other things in them that are slippery so the next time I rinse those slippery things will get into my bag and make my seal around the stoma get bad in which I start getting that itchy bag going to come off feeling. 
anyhow back to the MIO the reason I said this is it I’m switching when that Velcro issue happened is that I have a neighbor who has been complaining about bad smells and such at our apartment building. She kind of blamed me to her landlord. She’s right above me and when I flush etc.. I hear her up there banging stuff around. When I go out my door she starts spraying Lysol in the hall etc… so when this happened it got me thinking am I smelling? Are these Velcro leaking smells? Not sure or is she just crazy. I do notice a bad smell in our hall though. It’s starting in my home too but we have people downstairs who leave garbage in the hall and most likely in their home. Dirty clothing etc.. idk maybe I’m just paranoid. I’d hate for that sticky issues to start up again but I’m going to give it a shot with the convatec again to see if I can use them. I was always happy with convatec and always felt 100% secure. My supplier is overnighting them and I guess I send these back. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Just an update: so, I switched back to the convatec  and hollister ring for 4 days and I did start getting the sticky sensation again so on day 5 day I put back on the Coloplast and I noticed the stench again. Not sure if it’s the roll up ends or the mixture of the output with the pouch materials they use.  Coloplast mio is going to be a no go for me. I’m going to have to wear my convatec and just have to figure out how to resolve the stickiness from those pouches and that ring. I can tell you that I feel more secure and put together in my convatec it’s just a little harder rinsing when I empty. I have to get used to that again. If Coloplast ever figures a way to put the mio with a clip I’d be interested in trying them again that way. Another thing I’m doing is ridding of the safe and simple pouch deodorant and going back to my M9. 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@chelly It's good that you tried, but obviously disappointing that you have to switch things up again.

Let Coloplast know that you'd be interested in a clipped bag. I think it's unlikely that they'll offer it, but you just never know. They won't know if there's demand unless people ask.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Yes I did try right ? Yes I’m not looking forward to dealing with stickiness again if the bags were what was causing it. I’m brainstorming how to get around that now. I may have to take extra, extra time to make sure that adhesive comes off all the way before I get into the shower. I’m going to experiment with wipes again too for the end of the bag when I empty so maybe that will take care of the stickiness in the end of the bag. I’m actually looking at detachol right now which is a hospital adhesive remover but I want to ask the stoma nurse before I use it. I’d like to get maybe a different kind of Ostomy support garment although I do like the ones I’m in but they wear out so fast. 
something I noticed since I’ve had long enough trials with both pouches is the output has a sickly sweet yeasty smell. With the convatec it actually smells like a sewer when you open it. I’m wondering if the bag materials matter in how it smells as well although nothing should be leaking for others to smell. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Yes I did try right ? Yes I’m not looking forward to dealing with stickiness again if the bags were what was causing it. I’m brainstorming how to get around that now. I may have to take extra, extra time to make sure that adhesive comes off all the way before I get into the shower. I’m going to experiment with wipes again too for the end of the bag when I empty so maybe that will take care of the stickiness in the end of the bag. I’m actually looking at detachol right now which is a hospital adhesive remover but I want to ask the stoma nurse before I use it. I’d like to get maybe a different kind of Ostomy support garment although I do like the ones I’m in but they wear out so fast. 
something I noticed since I’ve had long enough trials with both pouches is the Coloplast output has a sickly sweet yeasty smell. With the convatec it actually smells like a sewer when you open it. I’m wondering if the bag materials matter in how it smells as well although nothing should be leaking for others to smell. 
ah, and yes I did tell the rep at Coloplast about a clip but they have nothing. I did tell her to put in a word from me to the people who do the designing. 

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Just to update again: 

im really liking being back in my convatec. I also added back my hollister barrier ring and some Cavilon wipes around the tape collar area of my pouch. The Cavilon helps when I’m removing it so I don’t rip my skin in that area. I’m feeling back to normal with this change. I was so accustomed to these active life pouches for years. I’m feeling more put together. I also am loving the longer tail for emptying although it is kind of slim but i back in the groove within a day or so.  like riding a bike I’ve switched my bar soap in the shower as well in the recent weeks which seems to be helping the sticky issue. At least making it 80% less. So far so good. I wanted to say that i really feel those mio bags were leaking odors at the bottom and when I would get diarrhea I could swear I could feel a bit of wetness. My client also uses them and there are smells even when emptied. They really need to make some changes to the ends but I did love the lightweight feeling they had. 

Cat momma reacted
ReplyQuote
Cat momma
(@cat-momma)

So good to hear you have your mojo back! You must feel so much more confident and secure!

Incontinent in a better way, since 12 July 2023

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@cat-momma oh gosh I do! My convatec has a thinner tail end but it’s also longer. The thinner tail end is a bit tricky to rinse but I been doing it for so long that I’m good at it the clip is great too. I know nothing is coming past the clip. The  longer tail end helps with too much back splash. Only thing is I am feeling a bit of the stickiness So  I’m  working around that and coming up with a routine to combat that.

Cat momma reacted
ReplyQuote