Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Convex for Support

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.  While I do realize that this is probably a question best asked to an ostomy nurse or doctor, I thought I ask here to see if anyone has any experience with this.  Since the very beginning, the area near my stoma has been a bit dome-shaped.  It looks like a little mound, about 3 inches in diameter.  Not by much, but it protrudes from the rest of my abdomen.  I have had my family physician and my ostomy nurse look at it and neither believes that I am herniated.  My stoma is an outie with a very good spout, so this is not a problem.  I have successfully used a flat flange on a 2-piece Hollister or Coloplast bag for two years with no problem, but it does nothing to flatten that area.  I was wondering if a light convex flange/bag would help to provide support to that area.  I do wear a hernia support belt (nu hope 6-inch cool comfort - I love it) just for security, but was wondering if a slight convex (which seems to be more rigid than a flat flange?) would help push that area back flush.  From what I gather (I've never even seen a convex flange in person) a convex is usually used for flush or sunken stomas, which is not my problem at all.  Just wondering about its use for support around the peristomal area.  

Thanks for listening!

Glenn

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Glenn, I know for me I have a little rise around the stoma. It’s not a visible thing to anyone else but I can see it when I look down. Like you I have a good spout and use a 2 piece system. I don’t think a convex is gonna change any thing. In fact it’s probably only going to put unwanted pressure on. I don’t think you have anything wrong but if you’re unsure yep a stoma nurse would confirm. I do stomach exercises to strengthen my core. I have never fingers crossed had a hernia! But as we get older it’s always a chance. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

glenn.giroir and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Glenn, I agree with John. I wear a convex flange because my stoma barely protrudes, and I also have a hernia. I really don’t think a convex will make any difference in what you are describing, but as you say, it’s best to run it by the professionals. Let us know what they say.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
Topic starter  

John and Laurie:

Thanks for your responses!  I an a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," so I do think I'm overthinking this.  I am going on two years with almost no issues with my pouching system, so I think that probably should say something to me.  I think that I am fortunate in that things seem to stick to me very well.  I wear a bag for 5 days, and I could get much longer wear time if it were not for the fact that the hair around my stoma starts itching as it gets to long.  I don't think I'm herniated, as both my stoma nurse and my family doctor have examined me and do not have concerns.  I am very active and my stoma never slows me down.  I just think I am getting bored and want to fine-tune things that don't need fine tuning.  I must confess that I am a bit strange in that I think Ostomy Supplies are very cool, and I'd like to try them all.  I guess that's better than thinking that all of this sucks. 😆 

I really appreciate all of you.  I am still yet to meet another ostomate in person, so this internet camaraderie is great!  You guys are the best!

Glenn

@tigerlily

@john68

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)
Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Love your outlook 👍 ye know what! Ya probably have met another ostomate and you didn’t know. Plus they didn’t know you were either😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
bagbob
(@bagbob)
Registered

Hi Glenn, I too have a nice little dome and a good spout like stoma. I also consider myself an active guy. I've been using a coloplast convex flip one piece for the last four months. At first I wasn't sure I liked it because it seemed to stick out a fraction of an inch more. I switched back an forth from domed to flat until I settled on the domed convex flip. I find I'm more comfortable with the convex flip because I would get a few wrinkles in the wafer when I used a pouch with a flat wafer. There would be red marks from the wrinkles on my skin that sometimes were painful. For you I'm not sure it would give you any extra support and if your comfortable using what your using, I'd say stick with it. I did have fun switching back and forth between many different products for a while. Some of the free samples I could tell on the first wear if I liked it or not. Some of the products I would buy more than I would get with the free samples and try them many times before I could make up my mind. ~BOB

ulcerative colitis since 2011
ileostomy 3-3-2021

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

@glenn-giroir 

Hi Glenn,

I use a deep convex, because I need it, but if I could get by with a flat wafer, I would. What you could do is get a sample of a convex wafer and give it a try. I’m guessing you won’t like it, but then you wouldn’t always wonder if it would be better. 

I feel like the convexity of the wafer put more pressure on the adhesive, like it is trying to push the wafer off. Maybe since you don’t have problem with adhesives it wouldn’t bother you, and you would likely be using a light convex, rather than deep. But my skin is so sensitive to start with, it adds to my problems. 

But, I would totally give it a try to satisfy your curiosity. I tried a flat wafer, which was an epic fail. 😂

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@glenn-giroir 

Hi Glen,

It looks like many of us have that dome on our tummies. For me, what is reassuring is that when ever I change my appliance, the tummy in that area flattens. I think it is the pull of the bag that causes the "mound". 

Stella

ReplyQuote