4 Users
3 Likes
10.7 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for reading, Bryan!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@Ashlea)

I have one in two days. Thanks so very much for this. I feel better having read it.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Best of luck to you, Ashlea! 

ReplyQuote
(@Heidi Rarer)

I have one this morning at 10:30. Thank you for this post and information, I wish I had seen the "butt burn" info earlier as I am having this issue. Your post made my nerves subside, thank you bunches..??

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I hope it went well for you, Heidi!  ;-) 

ReplyQuote
(@Carol)

Where can I get Pico-Salax? Is it like a tea? How much do you drink? My biggest fear is gagging on some gallon size drink that I’ll have to force down. If the doctor gives me something horrible could I use Pico-Salax instead?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Carol

Where can I get Pico-Salax? Is it like a tea? How much do you drink? My biggest fear is gagging on some gallon size drink that I’ll have to force down. If the doctor gives me something horrible could I use Pico-Salax instead?

Hey Carol,

Pico-Salax is readily available in Canada - I see it in pretty much every pharmacy I visit. Unfortunately, it's not approved for use in the USA, and I'm not sure what product might be comparable to it.  I'll ask on social media :)

It's a single cup of the stuff + more fluids at regular intervals after that. You aren't drinking gallons of the stuff and it honestly tastes fantastic.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

There is a product in the US called : Prepopik  http://www.prepopik.com/.

You drink about a cup of the mixture followed by lots of water.  ( repeated twice ). This is MUCH easier to do. Results are the same though.

This costs more than the usual horrible stuff and sometimes insurance won't cover it.

You need a prescription.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Nice find, Dona! That product looks identical to Pico-Salax - even the company logo is the same!! As are the flavors offered. I have no doubt it's the same product.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

It does look like its probably the same stuff. Even if you have to pay for it it is well worth it. And as you said, not at all bad tasting. I thought with a bit of gin it would be pretty good! ( HA).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
(@Sonja Darai)

You provided a fantastic service with all this info. Thank you. My colonoscopy brochure provided almost no useful info. You're the best!

ReplyQuote
(@Sonja Darai)

Any news on the US available Pico-Salax or alternative?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Sonja Darai

Any news on the US available Pico-Salax or alternative?

Hi Sonja,

As Dona mentioned, this product is basically the same stuff as Pico-Salax but available in the US! 

Prepopik http://www.prepopik.com/

ReplyQuote
(@Margaret)

I'm due for a colonscopy in just over a week. For breakfast I usually have old-fashioned rolled oats, with quinoa and chopped prunes. I phoned the doctor's office, and the receptionist said the oats and prunes were fine but not the quinoa. Do you agree with that?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Margaret

I phoned the doctor's office, and the receptionist said the oats and prunes were fine but not the quinoa. Do you agree with that?

Definitely not quinoa! It's not known to digest well and is considered "high residue" as far as getting cleaned out goes. If you can substitute it for couscous, that would be better. Good luck !

ReplyQuote
 Ann
(@Ann)

Just wanted to say thanks. I’m not vegan, but wanted to continue to eat healthy during my first colonoscopy prep. Thanks for the suggestions and also for being willing to talk about a subject I haven’t heard anyone else discuss. You’ve calmed my nerves a bit.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Glad the information helped, Ann!

ReplyQuote
(@Jenna Hunter)

Thanks for explaining what kind of food we should avoid when preparing for a colonoscopy. My dad is thinking about getting a colonoscopy to see if anything is wrong. Making sure that it is done by a professional could be really nice.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Jessica)

What do you think about plant based butters made from either coconut oil or some are from cashew milk products?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I'm not sure I've tried those products specifically, but vegan margarine has been no problem for me. I have used nut butters that are similar to peanut butter, but those should be avoided within 24h of the colonoscopy. I'd personally avoid almond nut butter too close to the test date because the almond skins tend to be incorporated in the nut butter and they are often hard to flush out.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3