Notifications
Clear all

Can’t gain weight. Even 1 lbs...

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@raspout66)
Topic starter  

Since my last surgery last February (second one in 40 years) which left me with 1 meter small intestines, I can not gain weight. I have very good appetite, always in the fridge, but I cannot gain weight. Zil, nada... Am I alone in this?

Surgeon told me it would be very long before I could get back to my weight before surgery which was 138. Now at only 123 lbs...

(@john68)

Hi Raspout, A couple of questions, Are you maintaining weight just not gaining, Are you having a lot of liquid output. Have you or do you have excess to a dietitian. Usually after the stoma weight gain can be the issue. Maybe now that you have better health the calories are being burned off quickly 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@raspout66)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @john68

Hi Raspout, A couple of questions, Are you maintaining weight just not gaining, Are you having a lot of liquid output. Have you or do you have excess to a dietitian. Usually after the stoma weight gain can be the issue. Maybe now that you have better health the calories are being burned off quickly 

Maintaining weight only. Not an excess of liquid output. Have access to a dietitian: told me to get as much protein as I can, and sugar like in deserts.... but I think my surgeon is right: told me my small intestines would gradually replace my colon but would take 2 to 3 years for my intestines to have a normal absorption rate. It’s what he called « intestine habituation » where the intestines grow excess absorption cells to replace the lost intestines...

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @raspout66

Since my last surgery last February (second one in 40 years) which left me with 1 meter small intestines, I can not gain weight. I have very good appetite, always in the fridge, but I cannot gain weight. Zil, nada... Am I alone in this?

Hi Raspout66,

I wish I could say I was with you on this one, but unfortunately I am not. 

I know that Linda (LK) has posted in the past about malabsorption issues. Maybe she will chime in... @dlkfiretruck

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)

I am in the same boat as you Raspout66, had my surgery in 2017, and since then I am floating between 147 LB and 152 LB. I worry about it all the time, and probably weigh my self too many times a week. My Doctor don't seem to be concerned about it. I used to be 220 LB, and that's all that's left after my rectal cancer.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

I wish I had that "problem" =) 

My first recommendation is to track your caloric intake and calories spent from exercise/daily movement. 

Some people under/overeat without even realizing it, so having some way to measure this is the first thing to do. 

Also, depending on why you have your ostomy (i.e. what other health issues you have), it's possible that your body isn't absorbing nutrients as well as it once did. I'd start with counting calories first, then work from there. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

out of curiosity, what is your current calorie consumption, protein,carbs,fat?

are you trying to build muscle mass? working out with weights?

ReplyQuote
(@raspout66)
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer I’m not into obsessive calories data, I just know that I eat more that I used to, with plenty of proteins, and even things like ice cream, cakes, etc.

Working out? No. I’m 68 and it’s too damm hot here in the Montréal area. 

what I intend to do is adding more Imodium from 2 pills/day to 3 or 4. 

And stop ✋ smoking... 

ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

well having background in field service electronics, thats how I would approach the problem.

nothing to do with being obsessive, just need to know what's going "in" to decide how much calorie correction might be needed.  more information is often better than less.

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

@raspout66

I find that gaining weight is difficult especially when you have to be very careful of what you eat. A year ago I was hospitalized for a blockage and lost quite a bit of weight and am still trying to regain it. All of my doctors: surgeon, internist and gastro all recommended different types of diets from no-fiber to high fiber. My nutritionist advise me to keep a food diary and gradually increase the amounts eating healthy snacks or more small meals instead of the usual 3.    I keep a food diary and track daily activity and it helps. I think we have to experiment and figure out what works best. 

ReplyQuote