Community Forums

When to Change Your Ostomy Appliance  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 16, 2016 11:00 am  

Let's talk about when to change our ostomy appliance!

My full written article on this topic can be found in the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Neal
 Neal
(@Neal)
August 19, 2016 1:14 pm  

Hi Eric,
Great article. I have a suggestion for hair removal around an ostomy. For hairs very close around the stoma, some men may use a small electric nose hair trimmer with a straight trimmer head. The trimmer blade are typically 1/4" long and good for getting into tight spots.
Also, instead of using the powder for a dry shave some estimates could apply Hollister Skin Conditioning Cream (517220) after cleaning away the residue around the stoma. It can create a scooter more comfortable shave especially if there is some irritation to the peristomal skin. Any excess cream can be wiped away and/or massaged in.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
August 19, 2016 1:23 pm  

Hey, Neal! Thanks for the tips.

I have tried one of those nose hair trimmers, but I found it to be incredibly frustrating because it wasn't cutting very well (could be the brand I was using). I also owned an electric razor that was not meant for wet shaves, so the cream wouldn't work for me. A wet/dry shaver could certainly do the trick!

I've personally been tweezing and epilating around my stoma - the hair takes much longer to grow back and I find it more convenient than shaving after you've done it the first time. I'll be updating my shaving article to reflect this.

Have a great weekend.

ReplyQuote
James M Singleton
 James M Singleton
(@James M Singleton)
December 12, 2017 3:27 am  

The tips were great and answered all of my questions.
Very good article!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 12, 2017 10:27 am  

Excellent! Thanks for reading, James.

ReplyQuote
Reader
 Reader
(@Reader)
January 23, 2018 8:28 pm  

Awesome! This answered so many questions and great detail. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 23, 2018 11:43 pm  

Glad it helped! Thanks for reading.

ReplyQuote
Richard Mota
 Richard Mota
(@Richard Mota)
February 28, 2018 3:18 am  

I find that after I eat something like a orange or on pineapple it seem to cause leakage , and sometimes I will have a mess in my hands , is this cause I not chewing the food right or I eat to much?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 28, 2018 12:45 pm  

Hi Richard,

That shouldn't make too much of a difference when it comes to leaks. However, if your stoma is like mine and retracts when it's having difficulties pushing stool out, it could be causing the stool to go under your wafer and cause a leak that way.

If you wear a clear appliance, you may even be able to observe this happening.

Some people have suggested that acidic foods like oranges, pineapple, and even tomatoes, may cause the wafer to break down more quickly. I haven't seen evidence of this and haven't experienced it myself (even though I can consume very large quantities of these foods at one time).

ReplyQuote
Jill
 Jill
(@Jill)
March 8, 2018 9:26 pm  

Thank you SO much for your videos and articles, they are extremely helpful and thorough. I just had my ileostomy surgery on February 14th, and have about a million questions. You have the answers to everything. Your pictures are also so helpful. Thank you again!!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 8, 2018 10:19 pm  

Welcome to the club, Jill!

So glad that I could help :) If you've got any other questions that I haven't covered, feel free to ask them on my community forums : https://www.veganostomy.ca/community/

ReplyQuote
Suzanne
 Suzanne
(@Suzanne)
June 30, 2018 12:51 pm  

I am currently using coloplast appliances. I have tried several brands over the last 2 years with the same on going problem. It seem that all the barriers are made of the same plastic. My output keeps breaking down the plastic around my stoma, it shreds. The opening becomes bigger and bigger allowing all the poop to go through. I have to change it at least 2 times minimum daily. I’m reaching out to anyone who might have this problem. Or possibly have an answer 😊.
Thanks !!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 30, 2018 11:34 pm  

Hi Suzanne. Have you tried any "extended wear" products? They should help to prevent that, but most wafers will swell up to fill any gaps between your stoma and the cutout. I wonder if your stoma is getting larger and smaller during the day, which is causing these leaks.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 1, 2018 2:34 am  

Hi Suzanne,  welcome.  I had a bit of a problem with this when I first had my stoma. Two things changed this for me.  One was simple,I drank more milk and ate yogurt twice a day. This seemed to cut the acid in my output and meant less bad sores. Also, when you cut the hole in your bag, are you turning the bag or the scissors?  Turning the scissors gave me a crooked edge and small slits I did not want, causing me to have to move the hole over a bit to fix it.  The sharper edges also hurt my stoma causing a bit of minor bleeding when I bent over to pick something up or to pet the dog. I always turn the bag when cutting the hole for my stoma, it gives a softer edge and more control over your cutting. 

(Edited by VeganOstomy: Hi Linda, I've created a new topic for your hair removal question.).

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register