Guide or device or ...

Notifications
Clear all

Guide or device or method to center appliance on stoma

roddy6667
(@roddy6667)
Registered
Topic starter  

Does anybody know of a product or method to assist in centering a one-piece appliance? 

VeganOstomy and LK liked
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered

I normally wear a Hollister 2 piece system, but sometimes I use a Hollister 1 piece.  I use a Bravia Ring that I apply directly around the stoma (it shrinks to the size of the stoma). I then use the Taco method which is to bend the appliance a small bit like a taco which then you can guide the appliance onto the stoma.  I have a 7/8" stoma and use 1" precut appliances. The Bravia Ring (many other brands, i.e. Eakin, Hollister, etc) seals between the stoma  and the appliance that I don't have touching the stoma.   Works for me. Hopefully you will find a system that works for you.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

roddy6667...Hello and welcome to VO! Thanks for reaching out.  I have never heard of bending the wafer back as a "taco", but that's a good word for it. lol!

I too wear a one piece. Bend your pouch away from you. I bend mine almost down to the lowest cut line because my stoma is a wierd down facing D shape.

Bending it away from you will allow you to see the bottom cut edge & where your stoma is attached. Be sure and check the right side as well as the left for lining up the pouch. It doesn't matter if the bag is on crooked. When it's 1st on be sure & spend a bit of time pressing a bit all around the cut hole your stoma is in. I find this helps avoid a leak for me. 

I have a feeling this is new to you. Feel free to start a new forum, or even here, and introduce yourself to the group & what brought you here. We enjoy getting to know our newbies a bit if they feel like it. It's not required though! lol! Know your in a great safe place for tips & whatever your ostomy needs may be. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @bago

I then use the Taco method which is to bend the appliance a small bit like a taco which then you can guide the appliance onto the stoma. 

This is what I do with one-piece appliances as it works best for me. 

One-piece appliances tend to be difficult to get on properly because of the lack of visibility. 

@roddy6667 If you can get a one-piece with a "window" on it, it'll help you see the stoma and align it much easier than an opaque pouch.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and sjlovestosing liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

(@roddy6667)

I have never used the taco method myself, but it sounds like a better idea than what I've been doing - basically looking down at the appliance and getting it near proximity. I also suggest pressing lightly around the stoma area to make sure you don't get leaks. BTW, do you use a flat appliance or a convex?

Stella

GoatHerder and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@sjlovestosing...it actually works very well & if you still have a problem try bending it from side to side rather then top to bottom. 

I remembered this afternoon that I used to do the side to side with my silly shaped stoma desperate to stop leaking because it was not on correctly.

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

(@dlkfiretruck)

Hi Linda,

I tried the "taco" approach - from top to bottom - but was unable to get it positioned as the adhesive stuck to my fingers! I am not the most dexterous individual. Ah, well! If at first you don't succeed...

God bless,

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Varg55
(@varg55)
Registered

Hi Roddy,  Although centering is easier with a two piece, I've settled on a one piece Hollister with a viewing window for many reasons, and my method for applying it is pretty easy.  First of all I use a small Hollister mirror which sits nicely on the edge of my sink, right at stoma level, so it's easy to see what I am doing.  I also cut the sides of the covering over the viewing window just slightly, so it's easier to lift it and look at your stoma while applying the pouch.  

Another amazing trick I learned, thanks to fellow member Laurie, is to warm the flange for about 30 seconds with a blow dryer, just before applying.  Take the backing off first and blow directly onto the surface that will sit on your skin.  It increases my wear-time by at least a couple of days.

Good luck!

Terry

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@varg55...I'm pretty sure Eric mentions that in a video. It is a really good tip too. Eric deserves an award of some kind for all his work here & never asks for a thing in return.

If anyone wants to help him in return, when you order anything from Amazon you can go through the link above where it says "support me"  & he gets a small amount of money for each order you place  linked thru Amazon.  It helps with his expenses here & for upgrades too. 

I know I've sure learned a lot through this site & it's a small way to say thankyou! Well deserved too.

Thanks again Eric! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Stella
(@stella)
Registered

Morning All.

- Sorry may I know the topic of the video from Eric about centering the cutting hole when I put on the pouch? (is it the one about change bag). I'm having the same problem and I'm using the 1 piece pouch.

- May I know the suggested 1/8in wider of the cutting hole on pouch than the size of stoma, is the diameter or radius. My stoma is oval shape and I always have problem to cut it fit. I also worry it will be tight for my stoma. I put the barrier ring right touching the edge of my stoma, is that correct ? the part of the barrier ring between the edge of my stoma and the edge of the cutting hole of the wafer (base of the pouch) always swell very quick, is that ok ?

Thanks giving me tips

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Stella, The wafer is cut 1/8 bigger than the stoma, the barrier ring sits at the stoma and the swelling is it doing it’s job by catching liquid and filling gaps. Use the measuring guide to make a template to get the best fit. Tricky to do but you will succeed 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Stella
(@stella)
Registered

@john68 Thanks John, will try again tomorrow - pouch change day. 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@stella...Hi Stella & welcome! I have a funny shaped stoma too & found it hard to get a good fit because of it.  I took one plastic from the back of a pouch & traced it a few times on  pieces of  *parchment or wax paper or what you may have.  Then trace the plastic several times to make a new pattern  of the plastic.  Take a round glass about the size you need  of your stoma & trace it in the center of the paper.  I then used a straight edge & drew several lines thru the circle to make it look like a pie cut for several pieces & ready to serve. I made several triangles in the pie on paper. Make a few copies incase you need to try again. 

Next I cut those lines thru to past the circle I had traced on the paper.  I then placed it over my stoma. Next I folded back each wedge of the pie to fit my stomas hole &  shape.  Check it all around with a mirror to make sure you're happy with the fit. If not try with another paper & toss the first one and repeat the folded back wedges. I found the more wedges, the better shape I got. 

Next, trace that size of the new pattern you just made in the paper onto a more firmer paper or thin card like an old birthday card or like the card in a package of nylons.   Carefully cut out the shape of your stoma.  Then  trace that onto a new pouch backing.

When you cut the hole you need in a new pouch wafer, turn the pouch while cutting, not the scissors.  You'll get a smoother cut edge this way.  Cut just on the other side of the line you drew.  When putting on your new pouch, fold the wafer away from you when you place it over your stoma.  This will help you line it up to your stoma better.  Then bring it up over you stoma.  If your stoma is fairly wet you may want to dry it to keep fluid from getting under the wafer.  Check the fit again with a mirror. 

Next,  press around the edge of the hole you cut to help it secure there first & well.  Before you do anything else just spend a few min. making small circles with a couple fingers pressing & rubbing the wafer all over to help it secure to your tummy.  I also place my hand over the whole wafer & stoma for about 3 to 5 min. as well to help it warm & soften better & stick to me better too.  I have also at times layed down for about 10 min. &  placed a small hot water bottle with *warm water in it over a wash cloth placed one my  pouch to protect from hurting the stoma. This too helps it stick to prevent leaks.  If your stoma is actively flowing you may find it easier to change in the morning or fasting several hours before changing. 

It's okay if you can't find the videos your after, we can answer questions here as well.  You have lots of time to watch Eric's wonderful videos.   I hope this is also helpful to you. Good luck & don't be a stranger.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Stella
(@stella)
Registered

@dlkfiretruck  Morning Linda, thanks so much, its very detail, I'll try. I promise, I will put whatever question I have here. I feel I 'm really not alone, always get support here.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Stella
(@stella)
Registered

@dlkfiretruck  Morning Linda, thanks so much, its very detail, I'll try. I promise, I will put whatever question I have here. I feel I 'm really not alone, always get support here.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
roddy6667
(@roddy6667)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruckI have had an ileostomy since 1973. I have tried almost every appliance made by every company in every country. I'm trying to improvise a cone made from starched tissue paper that would fit the stoma closely. After applying the bag, it would just be left inside. The moisture would make it soft and there would be no need for separate disposal.

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered

@roddy6667

That's an interesting idea.

How about also experimenting with rice paper that will dissolve after a time?

interested in how you get on with that idea

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote