Clear all

Custom Hole Cutters for Ostomy Barrier Wafer  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 9, 2017 10:25 am  

My husband has an oval stoma, vertical 3/4"x horizontal 1" he is using Coloplast Sensura Mio one piece deep convex barrier wafer but finds it really difficult to cut - the edges always turn out very jagged even with using the Coloplast scissors. We have also tried the rounded scissors that we received from the hospital. I ordered a custom made hole cutter from Nu-Hope only to find that the hole cutter will not cut through the plastic cutting guide on the barrier wafer, and it will not cut through the barrier wafer itself. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to cut a hole that is smooth, and accurate in size ?

Dona liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 9, 2017 2:29 pm  

Welcome to the forums. 

That's an interesting problem to have.  I know quite a few people who wear convex appliances, so I'll see if they can offer any advice!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
September 10, 2017 5:21 pm  

Hi and welcome gpdash,

It seems like I read someplace when I was trolling the depths on the internet for all things ostomy ( how I found Veganostomy) that I read about a place that will actually cut custom wafers for you. Has anyone else seen this? It can't be inexpensive, but worth it if you need it.

Maybe someone out there knows more about that?

As a stop gap, you might try a barrier ring type of thing. I too use a convex wafer and then also  an Eakin ring ( Cohesive). Its a moldable donut thing and I kind of wrap it around the edge of the wafer that is in contact with my stoma. That provides cushioning and fills any gaps. My stoma is round and I fit a precut size, so I am not cutting. I did try it once and it is hard to make a smooth cut with no sharp edges. I can imagine its even more difficult with an irregularly shaped stoma.

The barrier rings do add convexity, so you should be aware of that.

Good Luck!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
BagLady
(@baglady)
Registered
September 10, 2017 6:40 pm  

Hi gpdash

My husband had a colostomy a couple of months ago and we've been receiving pouch and wafer samples from a few different companies.  I'm looking at a booklet from ConvaTec, and they offer a moldable skin barrier "...where the opening is molded with the fingers to the exact size and shape of your stoma".   Maybe worth contacting them for samples.

We were sent home from the hospital with Coloplast supplies, and I found their customer support to be extremely helpful. Have you talked to them about this issue?

Eric, I've been lurking here for a while.  Our ostomy nurse told us about you before we left the hospital.  Bless you for all you do, this forum and your website are a godsend.

Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
September 11, 2017 3:52 am  

I use the Hollister 2 piece and find it difficult to cut the wafer as does gpdash. No matter how hard the result always a bit off in shape.  Using the Hollister  barrier ring helps initially but the ring melts after a day or so leaving the skin under the wafer unprotected. My stoma size is not constant so I cannot get pre-cut wafers. Any suggestions?

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
September 11, 2017 11:20 am  

Hi Fred,

I also use the Hollister two piece system. BUT I can not use the Hollister barrier rings. They just don't wear well. Different companies use different materials for these rings.

I can  and do use the Eakins ( Cohesive REF: 839002) rings. I get 5 to 7 days with them. I have also tried coloplast brava.. they also dissolve quickly for me. The Eakins rings are made of a stiffer , more 'waxy' substance.  So maybe if you try some other brands ( get some samples) it would be of some use.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 11, 2017 11:58 am  
Posted by: Fred

I use the Hollister 2 piece and find it difficult to cut the wafer as does gpdash. No matter how hard the result always a bit off in shape.  

What kind of scissors are you using? And have you tried a different type of scissor to see if it makes a difference?

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
September 11, 2017 12:05 pm  

I use the bandage scissors that came with my starter kit.  I tried using a standard straight edge scissor but that didn't help.  Do you have any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 12, 2017 9:12 am  
Posted by: Fred

I use the bandage scissors that came with my starter kit.  I tried using a standard straight edge scissor but that didn't help.  Do you have any suggestions?

I have a friend who uses convex wafers and she said that curved scissors help a lot. 

The only convex products I have here are from Coloplast and the area that's meant to be cut seems to be about the same thickness as a regular flat wafer, so there shouldn't be any problems cutting that. 

I'm not sure what the Hollister convex products are like, but if they are the same then curved ostomy scissors should work fine.

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 12, 2017 2:12 pm  

Thank you very much for your reply to my query. The company that will do custom hole cutting of 2 piece barrier wafers is Byram Healthcare call customer service 1-800-681-1395. They do it for free when you order your supplies from them. They do not do it on one piece appliances because they are concerned that they may put a hole into the attached pouch while they are cutting the barrier wafer.  My husband does use a moldable barrier ring - Coloplast Brava Barrier ring. 

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 12, 2017 2:15 pm  

I have a suggestion that will solve your problem. I order ostomy supplies for my husband from Byram Healthcare 1-800-681-1395. They will do custom hole cutting at no additional charge on any two piece wafer.

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 12, 2017 2:17 pm  

We are using Coloplast deep convex barrier wafers and they are extremely difficult to cut using curved ostomy scissors and bandage scissors. Cutting through the plastic cutting guide leaves the hole very jagged.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 12, 2017 3:19 pm  
Posted by: gpdash

We are using Coloplast deep convex barrier wafers and they are extremely difficult to cut using curved ostomy scissors and bandage scissors. Cutting through the plastic cutting guide leaves the hole very jagged.

It really shouldn't be that problematic.  The thick, convex part is outside of the area that you're supposed to be cutting. The center part, where the cutting guides are, should be thin enough to cut cleanly.  

Is there any way you can send a photo of what your wafer looks like after it's been cut? Perhaps it can shed some light on why you're having difficulties. 

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 12, 2017 7:42 pm  

Hi,

I will send a photo of the next one that I cut. I actually wrote to the Senior VP of Global Research and Development at Coloplast and enclosed the barrier wafer that I attempted to cut. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 13, 2017 10:28 am  

I actually wrote to the Senior VP of Global Research and Development at Coloplast and enclosed the barrier wafer that I attempted to cut. 

That's fantastic! Glad you did that! 

ReplyQuote
GeorgeB
(@georgeb)
Registered
September 17, 2017 1:43 pm  

I also tried many and found most rings (seals)

turned to mush and did not stop leaks or skin irritation.

I now use Perfect Choice rings with a slightly

oversize barrier opening.  (Coloplast mio clic)

I take the cover off one side of the ring and 

lay it sticky side up on the edge of the sink.

I take the cover off the barrier and press it onto the

ring, easy to get it centered, and then use fingers to

enlarge the seal opening to the stoma diameter

creating a raised edge facing the skin.

Then pressing it in place squeezes the raised edge

of the seal towards the stoma.

I also use coloplast curved tapes around the barrier

to ensure no leaks.   This lasts 4 days.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 18, 2017 12:12 am  

Welcome to the forums, George.

I like that technique! Sounds like you're making your own version of a moldable wafer using those rings! I'm so glad that works for you. 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)
Registered
September 18, 2017 4:32 am  

That's a great idea.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
gpdash
(@gpdash)
Registered
September 18, 2017 11:57 am  

Are you putting the pouch on the coloplast sensura mil click barrier before you put the barrier on your skin or are you putting the pouch on after you place the barrier on your skin ? I find the click pouch difficult to get onto the barrier. The click barrier pouch reminds me of a tupperware lid that doesn't want to fit onto the container!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 18, 2017 10:06 pm  

I find the click pouch difficult to get onto the barrier. The click barrier pouch reminds me of a tupperware lid that doesn't want to fit onto the container!

Try wetting the flange with water around the entire ring and see if it helps to snap it in place. Many people have trouble snapping two-piece appliances in place when there is no "floating flange" to put your thumb under.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2