Brava skin protector sheets?

26 Posts
10 Users
12 Likes
11.6 K Views
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Topic starter  

I am having a heck of a time with the skin around my stoma . I get it looking good for a few days and then it gets all red and weepy again and it is so sore. 

I was wondering if any of you have used these protective sheets and how they worked for you? Also, can you use some sort of cream like the Desitin under these sheets?  I am about at the end of my rope with this skin situation. My ostomy nurse is 2 hours away and phone calls are not something that always get answered.

Thanks to any tips or advice you may have. I have been using the stoma powder religiously at each appliance change with no luck in healing this up. Please help!!

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

Dona reacted
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Malsgal,

I had some similar trouble about a year ago. It was more of a rash in a few places under my wafer. I went to a dermatologist. He said it was exczema and gave me some Rx stuff that fixed it. It went on as kind of a dry foam.

Your problem may be different, but I think seeking out a dermatologist might be a good start. Be sure to let them know that the glue has to stick, so ointments aren't the answer. I took a new ( duh!) set of the supplies I use so he could look at them. Might be worth a try..and good luck!

P.S. do try to dry the area really well before you put the wafer down. I know that can be impossible if its really weepy.

I think most of these problems are solvable, but it can take some time and be frustrating.

I have never tried the sheets, so hopefully someone else here has used them with success.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hey Malsgal86,

Is the red, weepy area just around the stoma or does it extend out beyond let's say 3-4mm? 

It's hard to know what would help without knowing what kind of condition the skin is in - if it's just skin erosion then there are ways to tackle that, but if it's something like an allergy, fungal infection, eczema, or psoriasis, then you'll have to approach those in a totally different fashion. 

I each Dona's suggestion to see a dermatologist, but it may actually save you more time to see your stoma nurse first and then see a dermatologist if they feel you need to. If you go to a dermatologist first, you may end up seeing your stoma nurse anyway. 

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Topic starter  

The red weepy skin is around where my moldable ring sits, perfect circle. I am pretty sure it is not an aallergy since I haven't changed any of my products. I have been using the same brand for over a year. I really don't want to drive two hours to see the nurse, but I might have to if I can't solve this

Thanks for the replies

I ordered some of the sheets to try...here's hoping

God when you choose to leave mountains unmovable oh give me the strength to sing it is well with my soul

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Topic starter  

I guess I should add the the problem seems to rear its ugly head when I have a leak or two...I get things healed up and looking good and then I have a leak and it starts all over again

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Malsgal, if this is any help a few months back I used a ring/seal to which I had a bad reaction to. it left a red circle round the stoma. it was not the fault of the ring but just I was allergic to it!! another question do you use a belt or support that may be causing a lot of pressure (to tight) I know a 2 hour trip to see the nurse is a long way, would it be possible to do a Skype call? seeing the nurse is really the way to go with this.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

John brought up a good point. Pressure can cause redness  soreness and even bruising! 

If it's a circle under the ring, it may still be an allergy or sensitivity to the ring. Even if you've used it before, you may become sensitive to it (although, this is rare).

A telenurse  as John suggested, may be helpful! If you have access to one, I would definitely give that a try.

ReplyQuote
(@zvitusk)

From what I can understand,  when your peristoma gets "wet" , it gets irritated and weeps. This is with a moldable wafer.

My experience was very similar. I solved it by using an Eakins ring under the wafer. It seems that the wafer "melted " and allowed the caustic fluid to eat up the skin. A ring prevented the melting while allowing a snug fit around the stoma. 

Let us hear how it works out. 

Z

ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Topic starter  

I use coloplast one piece sensura mio bags with a brava moldable ring. I did some investigating yesterday with a mirror so I could see the bottom of my stoma ...seems that the bottom part of my stoma is retracted and is below the level of my skin which is causing the output to go right under the ring and onto my skin...this is where the irritation is coming from. It is not leaking but it gets under the ring and causes a lot of burning and itching.

It was suggested that I try the barrier sheets and stoma paste in place of the ring to see if it solves the problem...I have ordered these things and will give it a shot

Thanks for all the responses

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi again Malsgal,

The retracted stoma puts a new light on the problem. You may need a convex wafer. It is designed to push down against the peristomal area and sort of forces the stoma to push out more.  That is supposed to keep the output from going under the wafer.The barrier rings Zvitusk mentions also add to the convexity of the flat part that sticks to your belly.

I had this same problem, a lot of leaks, which stopped  when I switched to convex wafers. Hopefully Colopalst makes a one piece convex unit.

Maybe Eric has a piece here somewhere about convexity.

You should call your stoma nurse and get the O.K You are not supposed to just start using them without some expert advise ( AKA not me!).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Malsgal86
(@malsgal86)
Topic starter  

My bags are light convex.  I sampled some with more convexity but they ended up bruising my stomach....I will just keep experimenting till I find something that works for me

ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

I've tried the sheets, but I found the output just made its way under the sheet - it was pretty frustrating. I wondered if the weepy skin just didn't allow anything to adhere to it.

Maybe with a really good crusting they'd sick better.

Hope they do, but it'd stis to have to add something new to your system. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: Malsgal86

My bags are light convex.  I sampled some with more convexity but they ended up bruising my stomach....I will just keep experimenting till I find something that works for me

Convexity would usually be the solution for a retracted stoma.

Every brand has their own style of Convexity - some will be firm while others will be squishy. You may need to experiment with different brands before finding one that works. Also, you might be able to create Convexity using barrier rings and doubling up on them on the bottom half of your wafer. 

ReplyQuote
bluesgal
(@bluesgal)

I had a bad reaction to the sensura mio adhesive :-( which really bummed me out since I loved their bags. Wanting to keep using the sensura bags, I tried skin barrier spray and stoma powder and anti-fungal powder, all to no avail, so finally tried the barrier sheets. Here's the problem with them - if you use a convex wafer, you have to cut the sheet to fit around the perimeter of the convex ring (i.e. don't cover up the convexity with the sheet) so that the convex ring can still press down around the stoma. At least, this is what the nurses at coloplast told me. It was too difficult to try to cut out a circle in the middle of the sheet, so I ended up cutting out a half moon shape in two smaller size sheet pieces and then trying to fit them around the perimeter of the convex part of the wafer. It was a big, tedious, time-consuming pain and I finally gave up on it and switched back to Hollister products. Maybe you will figure out how to efficiently cut the sheet - if so, let us know. Good luck with your experimentation.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

I saw an et nurse at Mt Saini. I told her my ongoing issues and she suggested I try the sheets. It's interesting.. she had me put the Eakin down first, then the sheet, then the wafer. It's kinda sorta working. I'm getting a day and a half rather than three times a day. So things are improving. 

I think... The sheet acts as a constant pressure on the ring.. kinda like a belt would do. I'm trying that set up with a convex and a belt today.

Anyway, interesting use of the sheet I thought.

VeganOstomy, Dona and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Chris,

That sounds like a novel and really good idea. Good luck with it. Already better, as you say. It seems like it would work like you said, to hold down the barrier ring.

Let us know how it goes.

ReplyQuote
Sydneychic
(@sydneychic)

Hi Malsgal86

I had  a problem with the flat sensura mio bags.  They leaked often, even though I changed nearly every day (we get 30 free a month in Australia).  The leaking output burned my skin badly.  I put vaseline around the stoma until the skin healed.  I changed to the soft convex sensura bags and I have had only 2 leaks in probably 6 months.  I also put on Brava elastic tape shaped like a u, underneath that part of the bag and this has helped with confidence.

Good luck 

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Chris, I hope the layering helps! Glad you were able to get out to see a nurse! 

ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Posted by: bluesgal

I had a bad reaction to the sensura mio adhesive :-( which really bummed me out since I loved their bags. Wanting to keep using the sensura bags, I tried skin barrier spray and stoma powder and anti-fungal powder, all to no avail, so finally tried the barrier sheets. Here's the problem with them - if you use a convex wafer, you have to cut the sheet to fit around the perimeter of the convex ring (i.e. don't cover up the convexity with the sheet) so that the convex ring can still press down around the stoma. At least, this is what the nurses at coloplast told me. It was too difficult to try to cut out a circle in the middle of the sheet, so I ended up cutting out a half moon shape in two smaller size sheet pieces and then trying to fit them around the perimeter of the convex part of the wafer. It was a big, tedious, time-consuming pain and I finally gave up on it and switched back to Hollister products. Maybe you will figure out how to efficiently cut the sheet - if so, let us know. Good luck with your experimentation.

Try this:  place your wafer over the barrier sheet and trace circle of wafer into sheet. Cut barrier sheet in half cutting through the middle of the circle . Then cut out the little half circles . Place one half of cut out barrier sheet onto skin under stoma snuggle so it covers from 3-4-5-6-7-8-9 o'clock. Then place other half cut barrier sheet on top part of stoma so it covers from 9 -10-11-12-1-2-3 o'clock over lapping the edges of top sheet over bottom sheet . You should have a perfectly snug custom fitted barrier sheet .

i use this method with my Hollister wafer . I itch terribly from the glue on the Hollister wafer but love my Hollister system . I use a 4 inch square Safe n Simple barrier sheet that fits exactly under my 4 inch Hollister wafer . No more itching . Try the Safe n Simple sheet it's very thin . I found the Brava sheet too thick.

i put sheet on first then Brava Protective seal/ring on top of sheet then wafer . It's a mix of brands but they work perfectly together for me . I get 5 full days of wear time .

be well , Bubbles 

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris
(@chris)

Just an update on the sheets.. I've used a couple different kinds now, there are coloplast ones that are called a "plus" version.. a bit more expensive at about 7-8 bucks a piece.. but they are more flexible it seems. I get carried responses.. some times one day, sometimes two. I'm actually just going to bed after my second day without any itching.. Which hadn't happened in a long time. Hoping for a third day! Imagine that.

Anyway.. I'm rethinking what is happening with my setup. I think the ring did its job, but maybe the sheet, which is being cut tight, is acting as both a pressure on the ring, but also a squeegee effect on the stoma. The nurse also suggested I pinch the ring up around the stoma. 

Anyway.. Going for three days.

Malgal.. How are you making out?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2