Felicity's Hospital Room

149 Posts
11 Users
54 Likes
45.7 K Views
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

I figure this will be a good way to update folks as I undergo the adventure that is a Proctocolectomy + partial Hysterectomy and removal of at least one ovary.

Pre-surgery visit with Dr B. on November 7th

Surgery is November 27th, arrival at 10:00 and surgery at 12:00. It will take most of the afternoon.

Hospital stay could be between 5 and 7 days, he's thinking 5, maybe 4 since I'm so healthy and have managed my ostomy care so well.

We discussed prep. Yay, I don't have to do Miralax + Dulcolax. He feels it is overkill with an ilieostomy. If II do liquid and the antibiotics the day before he said it would be fine. I'm planning regular for Thanksgiving, light/ low residue (mashed potatoes and gravy? Soft boiled Eggs? Some Ensure?) for Friday and liquids for Saturday and Sunday. He was good with that plan.

No special care for Oscar is needed. I'll likely change the bag + appliance the morning of just because I'll feel better about it. To answer a question Marcie had, apparently he'll place a temporary stitch to shut Oscar while he works on a little redo of my ostomy. The inactive portion of my Loop Ilieostomy will be removed, but the bulk of the stoma will remain the same.

He has no specific plans on wound closing, maybe a wound vac for the abdomen because it will give me a hassle free week. He does not really care for wound vacs for rectal wounds, hard to get a seal and uncomfortable for the patient. I've also heard of healing issues with them so I am fine with no wound vac strapped to my ass.

Healing back to work, if I wanted to go back light duty 4 weeks (not interested), no restrictions means 6 weeks (January 8th). Going in with restrictions sucks because I could not get through some folks heads that a 20lb weight restriction meant no pushing a w/c with a body in it. It killed me to be back without the full ability to do what I do.

Ready to git er done!

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thanks for updating us!! 

Posted by: FelicityG

I'm planning regular for Thanksgiving, light/ low residue (mashed potatoes and gravy? Soft boiled Eggs? Some Ensure?) for Friday and liquids for Saturday and Sunday. He was good with that plan.
Thanksgiving for you will be several days ahead of the surgery, so most foods will be ok (although a low-residue diet is better).
He does not really care for wound vacs for rectal wounds, hard to get a seal and uncomfortable for the patient. I've also heard of healing issues with them so I am fine with no wound vac strapped to my ass.
Argh - wound vacs for rectal wounds - I had one and would advise against it. Yes, it's hard to get a good seal. Yes, it's a pain to be tethered to one attached there...

Go for any other method! LOL

Good luck, and we look forward to your future updates :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Felicity,

All the best! And thanks very much for informing us all about this. More info on everything is great!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Sounds like you have a great Dr, and team.  Relizing that the vac system is awkward for Patients etc. You have a winner there girl!!! Must feel better now that he has researched everything for the ease for you and your after care of comfort.. But with this blog, we do have a rather well education besides those Doctors too.   We now understand what they are talking about and can suggest other comforts of joy going through what your gong through. Being healthy is so important for this recovery-your lucky this time.. You will do great!!  As Always my best to you and yours during this time. Marcie..

p.s. What do u do for work? Hope u don't get a herina......  :-0 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

I am formally referred to as a Geriatric Activity Professional, experienced with Dementia Care. I am also a State Tested Nursing Assistant, some call it Certified Nursing Assistant, CNA. Not preferred because CNA can also be a Certified Nurse Anesthetist. Informally I am an Activity Girl and Nurse Aide. I assess elders for any adaptations needed to participate in activities and what they like to do. I help the Activity Director plan the program along with the rest of the Activity Department.

Even plainer, I get to spend most of my time with some of the neatest folks. I do games with them (Bingo is popular as they depict it on TV), arts and crafts, singing, reminisce, light cooking, trips out in our bus or van (I drive both) and too many other things to list. It's great for someone who needs stimulation and different routines. Also a high energy, high movement job. 

Robert and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

Also, Dr B seems so darned young. No grey on this kids head. He's in his mid 30's I think. But then my Primary seems so young too and I know he's about my age.

When do they start seeming so young?!?!?

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: FelicityG

When do they start seeming so young?!?!?

As we got older! LOL 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Hi Felicity, Wonderful job!! And yes, a different day always.. 

I did volunteer work at a nursing home and loved it!! Did this many years.. I also kept the dementia patients entertained just even if I took them t a different wall paper area..:-) But mostly when there was nice weather and not on call, I went in and took a few groups outside as fresh air is the best for them and everyone!! AND, I had lots of juices and water for them.. We played games, sang songs, (me mostly) clapped  hands, along with helping with arts and crafts-which I am not like you-but guided them along the "boss" of that requirement. I have met so many off springs of these patients and now they are concerned friends of mine.. I also check in on them.. May be 10-15 years older than me -- but we do go out for lunch.  They know of my illness, as they have called me to see how I was- and now, they seem to want me to take it easy and to not press my time.  But, I have and WILL give a call and take a few out to lunch soon.. I feel that I have spent my free time well- Love the senior!!! Now that I am one, but at that level yet------- I have many wonderful thoughts of my volunteering.. And I am proud of this.. Your job, takes a very special person to cope with such illness-etc.  I also, came in for the dentist to help him out as I am in dental business before I retired and during my working.. So a light gentle  touch of love is always needed huh?  Miss it... 

Yes, those wheel chair's can be a hand full---Watch out for that tug on your stomach after this surgery!! I had one man pull the brakes on me.. talk about ass over tea kettle!!!!!!! m.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Yes, they are all to young for me-but I don't have a choice do I..  When I mention my sons ages, early 40's-- they start to teat me like their grand parents.. ANd I sometimes treat them like my (if I had any) grandkids.---"come back here come come come now!! "what did u say??? I hope it is not what I think it was........ mind explaining that to  me??? Don't give me that look!! Lay man's terms please!!! gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... here comes another one still wet behind his/her ears.. 

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

Today I met Dr W for a pre surgery talk about Gyno stuff. First off, biopsies came back clear and the cancer test came back as normal. So no cancer to worry about. She has decided to be a little more conservative as far as my reproductive organs are concerned. For certain the left ovary is a goner, she might leave the uterus if the Crohns has not impacted it and same for the right ovary.

Tomorrow I see my family Dr, Dr Pete for a pre surgery check up. I'll be done with Drs until I go in on the 27th for surgery.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Well, you have all your ducks in a row-that is good. Looking forward to your progress..M

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

Got my antibacterial soap for my night before and morning of showers.

Got my day before antibiotics, plenty of white cherry gatorade to drink 

Received a call providing pre-surgery testing instructions, yay! I Go an entire hour earlier! 

Thursday I'm gonna eat everything I can. Friday I've got a nice soup to eat, loaded baked potato. Also have mashed potatoes and gravy. Saturday will be light foods and Sunday liquids until midnight. My basket of hospital goodies is ready and waiting.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Felicity, just when I see you online, all the very best for Monday

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

Thank you! Got to decide on what pajammas to wear in. Wonder if the poo onesie would be too much...

Got hugs from all my old folks and let them know I'd be seeing them in about 6 weeks. They'll get appropriate updates via my boss and co-worker. One of them, a Priest, asked to bless me before I went. Father is determined to convert the litttle pagan that I am. Such a sweet, loving man. I of course accepted because the Divine is the Divine no matter how we perceive it to be. Good thoughts, Prayers, Well Wishes and all are taken.

Robert and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Ya know what if the onesie is comfortable go for it! I have an old fleece that I wear round the house, the zip don,t work any more, its full of holes, wash it myself as the wife it going to bin it if she is left alone with it. but its like a comfort blanket to me!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Sent you an private message-- I didn't even wear panties, just a lounge dress, Nothing that had a waist on it.. I think that one heals better when there is COMFORT. I even wore my husbands boxers that got streched out- if needed......... Remember your not going anywhere so just be comfortable..  Sink baths, I went to the hair dresser for a time as I was so weak, I couldn't stand no more than 3 minutes without help-- hated to spend the money-or go but? it was an out for me and I felt clean.. Now where is that hat of yours?????????? 

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Topic starter  

I've got plenty of onsies to wear around: Leopard, mouse, dragon, unicorn and poo! They are fantastic for hanging around in, the fleece ones are like wearing a blanket. I've got my nice long wrap skirts I can wrap under my arm pits and wear as dresses... Won't be lacking in that regard.

Got my hair trimmed rather extremely a few weeks ago hoping to cut down on the upkeep of it. I'll put dear husband to work helping me wash it if needed. Clipper guard #1 is super short, 3 weeks later and I still see scalp. I don't regret it at all. Nope. The mane part of it is about 3 inches long. Now you can see the curl/ wave in it. I usually grow the mohawk out as long as I can until a mishap befalls it, last time it got to 9 inches long. I set it on fire at a friends wedding... Nothing like dropping a fire prop on your head followed up by hitting yourself with a second one later to make a trim a requirement.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Well, got to see the pictures... How about today and during and after?  Will your hair match your purple chair in the lounge??? If not, we can play with it then..  I see that your having decent weather your way- we are also- Stop and enjoy it....... Your doing good!!! 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hello Felicity,

I just want to send you my best wishes for a good surgery and a speedy recovery.

It will really be another positive step towards recovering you health and getting back to the life you love. Check in soon when you feel like it.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Zvitusk and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Felicity-remember my message--- Looking forward to seeing a bright smile very soon..

Marcie............ 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 8