Clear all

Stoma eruptions when changing the wafer  

RSS

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 7, 2020 2:42 pm  

Last night I had a blow out.  As icky as it was, trying to put a new wafer on was almost as messy. Larry (my stoma) decided he wasn't done making me miserable. I'd get cleaned up and Larry would erupt.  I'd try again and actually get to the point where I was ready to apply the wafer but Larry had other ideas and spewed waste all over (and we are talking prolific amounts) Now I'm thinking Larry is just messing with me.

But seriously, how do you put a new wafer on an active stoma like Larry?  He cost me three wafers before he finally settled down (about an hour later)

Lil Stomie, Jattzl and LK liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
September 7, 2020 2:53 pm  

Hi jfsbnder, Welcome to the forum. An emergency change is never pleasant, partly because the stoma becomes active as the bag prior to the leak was probably very full and more output flows freely was the stoma gets the room to do so. I use a gauze to wrap the stoma any time I change. It’s not fool proof but it’s a great help.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 7, 2020 3:03 pm  

Great tip!  Hope I never have to use it. :)

LK liked
ReplyQuote
rosepritchard
(@rosepritchard)
Registered
September 7, 2020 3:03 pm  

Hi jfsbndr and welcome

I always do the bag trick when changing - which, by the way, I learned from one of Erics's videos! Hang a disposal bag tucked into your underwear/pants directly under your stoma so that if it starts being active while you're changing, any output will just drop straight into the bag. This works a treat for me - and takes away a lot of stress! Best of luck to you.

Rose

Rose
ileostomy December 2019

Jeff, LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 7, 2020 3:58 pm  
Posted by: @rosepritchard

I learned from one of Erics's videos! Hang a disposal bag tucked into your underwear/pants directly under your stoma so that if it starts being active while you're changing, any output will just drop straight into the bag.

This, combined with wrapping the stoma with gauze as John mentioned, is a "bulletproof way to change the bag without making a mess. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Jeff and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
September 7, 2020 4:13 pm  

I came up with my little plan when this happens I use 4x4 gauze, medical tape, and a sandwich bag.  I tape the gauze in a circular fashion around the base of stoma gently, enough to hold it in place.  I have a plastic sandwich bag taped to the end of the gauze to catch anything if needed. I put this contraption together before I attach to stoma.

Lil Stomie, Jeff and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 7, 2020 6:23 pm  

Thanks for the feedback.  Part of what makes this is so difficult is that my stoma (Larry) is only slightly above my skin - he's rather shallow. ;-) 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
September 8, 2020 2:01 am  

@jfsbndr....welcome to VO!! I hate to break it to you but baptism by stoma is common! lol!  Rose, my stoma, she says hi to Larry, she once shot output 4 feet across the room! I'm still not sure if I should be proud or not! Anyone?? I use three squares of connected toilet tissue fold in half to make 1 1/2 , then I fold that kitty corner,  from one corner to another to make like those triangle flags. I then wrap that around my stoma. The stoma being moist holds it in place but I also stick the last corner under the tissue close to the skin then twist the other end a little so the output does not escape right away. It gives me a chance to bend over a bit and nothing lands on my tummy. I sit on the throne when changing my pouch. I just find it easier. I tuck a bag with sides folded back into the crotch of my pants and  just under the edge of my thighs to keep the output from hitting my clothes should  Rose be feeling her oats! lol!!  This method has been foolproof during countless public washroom changes.  

Do you use the C shaped tapes at all? They always give me a better protection from leaks escaping the sides of the pouch tapes. Coloplast Ostomy Tape, has them, ref#12070, Canadian ph. # 1-888-880-8605 from on the box. You can ask for samples. There's two widths to choose from so be sure and ask for both samples. I wish I had them as a newbie!

lol...fyi...I believe in the power of prayer and always ask God to keep Rose quiet while I change my pouch...but I also give him a warning...when possible, it has worked in emergency situations too...lol....so far so good!!! 

Linda

Jeff liked
ReplyQuote
Jattzl
(@jattzl)
Registered
September 8, 2020 4:10 pm  
Posted by: @jfsbndr

As icky as it was, trying to put a new wafer on was almost as messy. Larry (my stoma) decided he wasn't done making me miserable.

I totally relate and it is great to have a place where we can express how really icky and miserable these situations can be.  I'd say it took a good year for me to adjust mentally and emotionally to the reality of blow outs and eruptions.  I've always felt like I was more of a wimp (to be honest horrified is a better description of how it felt to me) to dealing with the mess.  Everyone adjusted so bravely I was embarrassed to admit how mortified I was by it all.

But through lots of how to videos from Eric and my own trial and error I have a system to deal with pretty much most of these episodes.  If it's really active and I can't keep up with it long enough to replace the wafer or pouch, rather than wasting an appliance I just go with it and place a disposal bag under it holding the top of the bag over in case it squirts.  I sit down and try to relax until it's slow enough to stay quiet while I attach the new appliance.  

Also, I've mentioned these before but I use the Coloplast 2501 stoma mini caps that are meant for colostomies (i have an ileostomy).   They stick directly to abdomen no wafer etc.  I put them on after I dry off and then I don't need to worry about any leakage while I finish drying and don't need to rush.  They've been a lifesaver for me. 

51 years Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, CGM, neurological complications, retinopathy, and autoimmune CIDP. Nerve damage led to ileostomy in 1/2015.

Lil Stomie, Jeff and LK liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 9, 2020 6:00 am  

jfsbndr and Larry

Hi we I think have all been there!

I use a two piece bag since its easy to empty and change whilst Bagpus is in the mood. trying to empty a bag or swap a bag was for me an impossible situation

I will empty the bag go lie down and back again 10 minutes later rolling another tennis ball (I have a colostomy). on occasions this little performance can go on for a hour or more, I believe it has a lot to do with how your peristalsis is working 

I very much subscribe to Eric's tucking a disposable bag into underwear. If Eric patented the idea he would be RICH now!

Colostomy Jan 2020

Jeff and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 9, 2020 6:45 pm  

So today I had a follow up with my surgeons PA.  The surgical sites are healing and my stoma seems to be doing well.  I appreciate all of the posts and tips. I have so much to learn and I'm really pleased I found this forum.

Until today I did not have an ostomy nurse. I didn't even know I needed one. I have no idea how that could have happened but my doc said they wrote orders for one. Someone failed to implement them and I had no clue about what to expect or ask.  Everything I know was by simply watching and asking questions of the nurses that come each day to change the wound dressings. (They are not ostomy nurses but they know enough to help). During my doc visit today she found an ostomy nurse who spent about an hour reviewing everything from care to selecting the proper size and type of product. I was surprised at how emotional I got.  I was angry because someone dropped the ball. I am angry at myself for not asking more questions in the two months that have passed since my surgery. But that was displaced by the relief that hit me - I finally had someone to teach me and answer all the questions I could come up in that hour. (I'm gonna have a billion more but many of those will be answered in forums like this).

AND I may have found a solution to Larry spouting off during wafer changes.  The ostomy nurse said she has had many patients who swear by eating a few marshmallows 30 minutes before hand.  Supposedly this will cause Larry to chill out and not be such a wet blanket. I'll let you know if that works for me. :-) 

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
September 9, 2020 8:14 pm  

@jfsbndr

Welcome!!  I’m glad you were able to meet with a stoma nurse. They usually have good tips and can make suggestions for products to use and often give samples. My little buddy, Squeaky, gives me trouble sometimes too. And the marshmallow trick does work. 😀

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

Jeff liked
ReplyQuote
Rick
 Rick
(@rick)
Registered
September 9, 2020 11:13 pm  

Another thing I do for safety...bought some puppy pads at Walmart and stand on them in bathroom during change..most of time 1st thing in morning no issues..if something drops on pad just pitch it when done.  I usually reuse the same unblemished-pads over and over.  

Terri liked
ReplyQuote