Clear all

Boxers, briefs or ?  

RSS

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 11, 2020 11:47 pm  

So I was interested in the boxers from Ostomy Secrets.  Problem is they don't have any inventory.  I want something I can sleep in that keeps my ostomy in one place instead of being pulled in various ways when I move. Frank is located right at my waist line so pancaking is a serious issue, especially at night.

Recommendations? 

Also has anyone tried the PouchWear body pillow and if so, is it worth buying for a side sleeper?

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 12, 2020 1:07 am  
Posted by: @jfsbndr

I want something I can sleep in that keeps my ostomy in one place instead of being pulled in various ways when I move.

An alternative that works for me are ostomy wraps. Is this something you'd consider or have tried?

Also has anyone tried the PouchWear body pillow and if so, is it worth buying for a side sleeper?

I'd be interested in hearing feedback about this too. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and ChrisandBagpus liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 12, 2020 6:11 am  

I am very very interested in any solutions or options similar problem

Bagpus is a about 2" below my navel on the right (Colostomy) sits exactly where a belt would go. Bagpus is also just above the waist line crease. boxers sit on top of bagpus briefs go underneath but as I'm 11 weeks from the last surgery any elastic waist band seem to cut in and cause pain from the I think still healing scar tissue.

I wear a comfort belt sometimes during the day just! I have a wrap with shield I'm trying out. pancaking is an issue with or without a wrap?

At night I tend to rotate the bag to side and sleep with a D-shaped bolster tucked under my other side, it helps with nighttime  action whilst asleep.The D-shaped bolster remarkably by its shape appears to stay put and they aren't expensive

I wonder how the pouchwear pillow works with body movement at night, would you roll off or away and would it stay in place?

Daytime I sometime wear trouser Braces ( UK; suspenders US) Sometimes I wear a tactical belt as I can adjust the length in small increments a normal belt has spaced holes.

So still looking for an improved or better products that help for comfort

Chris

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK and Jeff liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 12, 2020 1:03 pm  

@veganostomy Is pancaking a concern with wraps? That is my greatest concern.  I think a wrap is probably best during the day and not so much at night?

At night I have had several blowouts (ileostomy surgery was July 19) and I'm sure it was from my movement.  Some were from pressure on the pouch to wafer connection and some from pancaking. that's why I was looking at the product from Ostomy Secrets.

Thanks very much for the input!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 12, 2020 3:01 pm  

Is pancaking a concern with wraps? That is my greatest concern.  I think a wrap is probably best during the day and not so much at night?

Pancaking is a concern any time you have something preventing or reducing the flow of output from the stoma, especially if thicker stool and pancaking is an issue when not wearing one.

At night I have had several blowouts (ileostomy surgery was July 19) and I'm sure it was from my movement. 

I had blowouts for some time after my surgery and it's probably been years since my last one. Nothing about how I sleep has changed, but my body has adjusted throughout the years to be more predictable and slower at night (i don't wake up with full bags like I used to). 

Movement can be a problem for some, especially if you are a heavy sleeper or tend to have very full bags at night. I don't think that an accessory will help with blowouts in this case, but it can make things more comfortable since they offer upport. 

Pancaking at night is an extremely frustrating and stubborn problem to solve, and it might require doing more than one thing to counter it - at least until your body normalizes. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
September 13, 2020 2:06 pm  

I would love a pair of pajama bottoms that helped with this! I suppose that I could sew a pocket inside, myself, something loose enough to not cause a pancaking blowout yet with enough structure to help keep the pouch in place.

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ChrisandBagpus and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 13, 2020 9:24 pm  

@llholiday I'd be your first customer. ;-) 

ChrisandBagpus and LK liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jfsbndr)
Registered
September 13, 2020 9:26 pm  

@veganostomy and here I was looking for a magic bullet :) 

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
September 14, 2020 3:56 am  

@jfsbndr...welcome to VO JEFF! I want to ask something here... is it only my PJ bottoms that twist a bit  when I move at night and would a pocket of sorts be the best option in a pair of night bottoms, verses something snug and separate over the pouch? 

Linda

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
September 14, 2020 1:40 pm  

@dlkfiretruck

Can't directly answer your question but I regularly tear the shoulders on my Pj's I always put it down too my amazing deltoid muscle and little to the fact I wriggle a lot whilst asleep, also that my PJ bottoms would be on backwards after a while if I didn't have separate legs on them.

I find the only thing that reduces the nighttime "Twist and shake it all about" is a D-shaped bolster tucked against my side, or strong knock out pills!

Fortunately so far no accidents :-) 

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
September 16, 2020 10:59 pm  

@jfsbndr

I wear a wrap almost constantly.  I have no problems with pancaking.  I do keep my output pretty liquid by drinking lots of fluid.  

Ulcerative Colitis (1995)
Permanent Ileostomy (2019)

Doing what it takes to enjoy life to its fullest.

LK liked
ReplyQuote