Community Forums

Hollister CeraPlus Skin Barrier and New Image Ostomy Pouch - REVIEW (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Shazzon
(@shazzon)
Registered
15/03/2019 6:22 pm  

Thank you I was a little confused on that .i will try it that way .it sure would be a lot cheaper . 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
15/03/2019 7:03 pm  

Hi Check out the video by Eric on Product Overload. It’s easy to feel we should be using many products together, it’s good to have them available for as and when the need arises. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
21/03/2019 10:03 am  

Hello...I just have a thing that I do to clean the opening of the pouch where we empty our output thru.  I remember well watching the nurse empty my bag after surgery. She made a cork out of toilet paper to clean the mouth of the bag, and it never really did the job very well but it was better then leaving residue behind. I was told that nothing can get into the stoma and that rinsing with water is just fine to do, so, after I have rinsed my pouch, I take about two squares of TP, fold them in half, and place my index finger in the center to make a triangle, I then wrap the TP around my index finger and insert that into the mouth of the bag to clean and dry out the opening. This has worked great for me and I always feel better knowing the dog will not sniff me out. When I am away from home, I always carry an empty water bottle with me to fill with water in a public restroom before I empty the pouch. However, if it is a gas station washroom or a big busy store WR, I will carry my own water from home to do the rinsing. It has paid off the few times I have had to stop on the main highway through provincial parks and there has been only trees to do this deed. On a long trip, I will carry a gallon of water in the truck of the car to refill my bottle. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
25/03/2019 3:13 pm  

Linda, I tend to roll up some toilet paper to help clean the last few inches of the outlet - then I will clean the little corners with another piece. It's worked well so far :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
25/03/2019 3:34 pm  

Thought I had invented that 😂 that works very well and does leave a clean finish 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
25/03/2019 7:33 pm  

Linda,

I tried your method of making a triangle of the toilet paper and wrapping it around the index finger - what a difference it has made in the amount I used! I have a one-piece system, so could I still use water to clean the pouch?(It's something I haven't tried yet.)

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
26/03/2019 3:31 am  

Stella, thank you. I am glad it works well for you, Eric should try it too, it does save the TP, and John, VO did not exist when "I"  discovered and invented this method so don't go thinking I stole it from you John!  LOLLLL!!!!!!

Eh, I am so bad sometimes....have a nice day you all eh!

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
26/03/2019 4:47 am  

Stella, I forgot to encourage you to rinse the pouch with water, it is a personal choice, but it seems to make a difference to me in how much cleaner I feel. When I was in Hospital after the surgery, they never rinsed and I always felt like I was not clean enough and asked visitors if I stank. So, I asked my surgeon if it was okay to rinse the pouch.  I lived thru a horrible case of Cryptosporidium for almost three years back in 1996, so this was a real concern to me. On top of having it, the doctor I had at that time never told me I had it. I found out when the Health department called about 9 months later to ask how I had respond to the long term antibiotics! I asked "what, and just what were the antibiotics for?"  She was very silent for several long seconds, then she told me I was one of two in our small town with this parasite.  I told her I  had not been told by anyone until now and asked if that was why I felt like I was dieing. She sent me to our bigger hospital where the tests and treatment started and went for months. You can imagine I was a bit afraid about rinsing, but when I asked my surgeon if I could rinse, I also asked him to explain in depth how this could be safe.  He convinced me it was very safe so once home, and the stitches had healed up, I tried it and just loved the feeling plus one of my three dogs that always sniffed where my pouch hung left me alone after the first time I tried it. I buy those plastic drink cups from the dollar store and change them over once a month I use two of them, I refill when I have used on or both of them so I am always ready, but because of fatigue, I have forgotten to fill them once in a while and I really am not happy with myself when I do, so I pay closer attention to my washroom routine more then I have now. I would say go ahead and try it for a week and see if you feel differently about yourself. It took about three days for me and now I can not,  not rinse. The decision is all yours.  But I know that I am glad for the day I started. Have a one day closer to spring day today.  :)

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
26/03/2019 8:21 am  

Thanks again, Linda!

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2